“Not worth the money”

Hershey Lodge
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed for two nights at the lodge. We thought it would be great. Looked like there was lots of things to do that would interest a 13 year old when we weren't at the park. So wrong. BINGO was crowded into a tiny room with no where to sit, and apparently now just for small kids, not family. And s'mores making...hahaha, you have to buy the kit first, scam. The room was a nice size but old and not the cleanest. The air was awful, either freezing or nothing. For the money, try the hershey hotel, or stay elsewhere.
I will say the transportation to the park was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rbl525
Hershey Enterta... R, General Manager at Hershey Lodge, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hi Rbl525!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Hershey Lodge. Our guests’ feedback is very important to us. We strive daily to provide outstanding service and hospitality to each of our guests and I regret that we failed to do so for you.

I sincerely hope the time will come that you will reconsider and decide to return to the Lodge. Should this occur, I have every confidence that your stay will be a most satisfactory one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked two rooms at this place two kingsize beds. This is what it said on the reservation. When I checked in at 430pm I was told that only one room was ready and they would telephone me when the other would be ready around 6 pm. Upon entering the room, I noted that the bed was a queen size and the room was for disabled. In the refrigerator there was also a rotten lime. The room was ok a few stains in the carpet nothing special. At 530 I received the phone call that the other room was ready and I had to go back to reception with Id for the room key. (Nothing like putting the guest out) the reception area was chaos, obviously everyone gets rooms that late. I asked about the room I had and the one I was going to get which apparently was identical to the one I had already. He said yes it's disable and yes it's a queen, but that's not what I booked and paid for I stated, well you have a bed and a room was the reply, this person stated he is the manager and when I asked him to adjust the rate as it wasn't what I had paid for he just proceeded to repeat himself stating I had a bed. Also I asked about the late check in his answer was we are busy. Obviously too busy to ever need my custom again. I would never stay here such rude people.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank NJBrit
Hershey Enterta... R, General Manager at Hershey Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hi NJBrit!

Our staff members are all professionals dedicated to service excellence. Rest assured that I will share your concerns with all department managers to make sure our staff understands the expectations of our guests.

New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

It is a nice hotel but it is just that.... a hotel. We used it strictly to sleep at while spending our days at Hershey Park. We arrived around 10am and they had our room already ready for us. But, later that evening we returned to get cleaned up for dinner and the lobby was full to capacity with people waiting for rooms (so we must have been the exception).

After checking in we headed over to HP after waiting 30-40 for the bus. Waiting for the bus got old after the 1st day. I thought it would be a plus but expect it to eat away about 2 hours of your day.

The hotel is MUCH farther from HP then I anticipated it would be. The bus ride was probably 10-15 minutes w/o traffic. Unlike Disney the buses have to wait in the same parking lot traffic as everyone else. I never felt the need to tip the bus driver.

The bus will only pick up up in front of the lobby (we tried getting on at another stop). It will drop you off in two locations in the back of the hotel. Ask for a room near the lobby or near one of these drop off spot doors.

The hotel is HUGE and spread out. We never took the same route to the lobby. It is very easy to get loss.

I found the hotel to be very dusty. The light fixture in the bathroom had a lot of dust on top. The gift shop had dust covering the glass shelves. The tables near the elevators had a thick layer of dust on them.

I would much rather stay at a Days Inn w/ free breakfast and pay to park at HP.

1 Thank Cathy_Smith2014
Hi Cathy_Smith2014!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Hershey Lodge. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with your Hershey Lodge experience. Since the vast majority of our guests enjoy their experience at our facility and return regularly, it is unfortunate that you do not wish to follow suit. I sincerely hope the time will come that you will reconsider and decide to pay the Lodge another visit. Should this occur, I have every confidence that your stay will be a most satisfactory one.

Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The staff was not as friendly as I had expected. The rooms were clean and decent. The bathroom was small. The rooms are not to much better or different than a Quality Inn. I called to extend my stay and was not given any assistance. I guess they were to busy. Restaurants were typical for the type of venue. Place far from a bargain.

2 Thank Soprano1NewJersey
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have you ever slept on dirty sheets in a hotel room left from previous guests?

My husband surprised me with a trip to the Hershey Lodge in July 2014 because they were hosting a quilt show. He checked into the room while I was at the show and when I stopped by it briefly, he mentioned that he had found half eaten candy in wrappers around the room. I called the desk to check if the room had been cleaned after the last guest and was told that it had been. They offered to have housekeeping check it, but assured me that it had been cleaned. I wanted to get back to the show, but shouldn't have believed them.

When we returned to the room after dinner, we discovered that the soap hadn't been changed in the bathroom. I called again, was put on hold for a long time, then reassured that the room was listed as having been fully cleaned. After I hung up, I turned down the made up bed and discovered cracker crumbs and other debris. I immediately called and asked to be moved to a new room.

The new room appeared clean, but had a door jamb that seemed like it had been damaged (pictures), and more dated furnishings. Both rooms were very small and seemed vastly overpriced for the rate that we paid.

I asked for a manager the next day at checkout and he told me he didn't believe my complaints, despite three documented calls to housekeeping and debris and documents left in the room by the previous guest. He reluctantly offered a lower rate.

What did I learn?

1. Always check the room thoroughly for insects, debris, and cleanliness before accepting it. Don't assume that a hotel is keeping accurate records of room cleaning.

2. Insist on your rights as a paying guest. Clearly, this establishment is falling down on housekeeping in obvious ways. Now I wonder if I have ever slept on dirty sheets at other hotels!

3. Don't stay at the Hershey Lodge again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank susieqRockville_MD
Hi SusieqRockville_MD!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Hershey Lodge. We appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests. Please accept my personal apologies for the disappointment you experienced with your room during your stay. I know that our staff addressed these concerns with your husband while you were on property, however if you have further concerns, please feel free to reach out to our Executive Office.

While we cannot change what has past, I do hope that you give Hershey Entertainment and Resorts the opportunity to serve you again in the near future, at which time you can experience the hospitality we pride ourselves in providing.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just retuned from our first trip to Hershey's. We did not know what to expect since we are from Michigan and the usual for folks here is Cedar Pointe in Ohio, and especially after our last trip there I was DONE with that overrated expensive, overpriced and dirty place. So with an open mind we went to Hershey and what a pleasant surprise! The lodge is really nice updated and clean. The staff was nice and friendly. The only con that I see is that is a little overpriced and on the small side rooms, also my husband who needed to submit homework needed privacy to do so. So he went to ask for the business room but was told he was going to be charge $50c a minute. He just needed to have a quite time to work, this should have been complementary. The complementary shuttle bus driver was nice and the park is worth the trip to Hershey. We will definitely visit again. For the price of the stay I was honestly expecting at least a small complementary basket of chocolates in our room, instead, we where handed 4 bars of regular hershey bars :( just saying...

Henrietta, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family & I enjoyed 3 days at Hershey Lodge. It was very clean and everyone was friendly.The rooms could use the some upgrades, however. We ate at Lebbies, and the breakfast buffet was pretty good. It had the usual breakfast fare and my daughter really enjoyed the chocolate butter. The Lodge was a fair distance away from Hershey Park and the shuttles to transport you there came regularly and were clean and air-conditioned. Overall, our experience was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room if you want indoor hallway and direct access to the lobby.