“Nice place, but not perfect”
Review of Hershey Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hershey
Hershey Lodge
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Nice location with lots to do onsite. Really nice pool area, very nice worlkout area. Rooms and common areas showing significant wear. Rooms have nice beds, but are of generally so-so quality. Across the street from Penn State Hospital and not too far from all the Hershey attractions. Front desk staff were nice, but they seemed a bit aloof.

There are better choices in Hershey.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank beavertontim
There are newer reviews for Hershey Lodge

Reviewed 26 March 2009

I stayed at the Hershey Lodge this past weekend and have to give this place a big thumbs up. I had read the previous reviews and while most are favorable I found the majority of the complaints to be of older furnishings and high prices for the summer time. Word of Caution - if you’re visiting Hershey in the summer prime time expect to pay high prices no matter where you go. Trust me you can stay at a no name crappy hotel and pay over $200 a night if there’s a big concert or show in town, I have. This is their prime time for visitors! We happened to take a girls weekend and rcvd a very nice rate of $169 a night which I felt was more than fair for the early spring.

First off I must point out that I requested a room in the newer tower section of the hotel and had no trouble getting it. I figured the bad reviews of old furnishings were based on the older rooms. Our room was very nicely decorated, clean and perfect for 3 adults. Bathroom was spotless and I loved the Hershey kiss wallpaper. Also really appreciated the Hershey hot chocolate packets with the in room coffee service!

We ate at Lebbie Leibeckers for breakfast the first morning which is located in the hotel. Note that they close at 11am so get there early. We were in around 10:30 and they seated and served us very quickly. We didn’t feel any pressure to leave even though the place cleared out. Little pricey but worth trying for one day. We had dinner at Houlihans one night and highly recommend it. Service was quick and the prices were reasonable for dinner. There is a Red Robin in town but the large group of waiting people in the parking lot made that an immediate no for us. Seems to be a popular place for dinner on the weekend.

The Cocoa Beanery at the Lodge is great for drinks but beware of their baked goods. I ordered a chocolate chip cookie expecting it to be warm and chewy. Instead it had been refrigerated and was hard as a rock (not from the cold but from being stale).

There was some cosmetic work being done in our hallway thru the weekend though there was no noise. When we asked our maid she explained that the entire lodge was getting new hall carpeting, wall treatments and lighting. They were pushing to be done by May for the summer crowds. The current hallways didn’t look that old to me but I guess any freshening up is good.

The layout of the hotel and the room numbering is very strange. I get the feeling as more and more buildings were constructed over the years the numbers just kept jumping around. They could have installed detailed layout maps in some of the central spots to avoid the confusion. That’s my only complaint really. Parking wasn’t that much of a problem this past weekend. Though I could see it being a pain in busy times as the overflow lots are much further away from the building entrances.

As a side note we did receive full size Hershey bars on check in and candies on the bed!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We spent President's weekend at the Hershey Lodge. It was outstanding. There were plenty of activities onsite to keep the kids busy. We went to the pool and game room during the day and in the evening we played bingo and went on a scavenger hunt - of course the prizes were Hershey's chocolate. The hotel is huge but well laid out and easy to get around. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The kids loved the character appearances (Reese's, Hershey Bar, Kiss, etc.). We ate in the Bears Den for dinner one night - casual atmosphere and decent food, we ate in Lebbie's for breaksfast - great buffet and one night ordered room service from the Bear's Den - also good.

We went offsite Sunday afternoon about 5 miles away to a local bowling alley - other than that we never left the hotel, and never wanted to. The lobby is beautiful and very comfortable - with a huge fireplace and plenty of seating. There is a nice coffee shop and at night there is a bar in the lobby - everyone was happy. The coffee shop also had pastries and light breakfast items.

All in all we had a great time and want to go back in the summer - the outdoor pool and mini golf look fun.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I had a convention to attend at the Lodge so stayed for three nights. Overall the lodge is lovely and old fashioned charming. I love the large fireplace in the middle of the lobby where chairs fit all around the four sides making it very cozy and welcoming in the winter time.

The rooms are pretty basic. Clean and somewhat small. There is no closet, just a area to hang clothes but there are plenty of drawers. Nice flat screen TV. Not real happy that the door to my room opened not only to the inner hallway but also the outside area (somewhat like a cheap motel) although furnishings are pretty top notch. The coffemaker with hot chocolate was a nice touch. My maid was great...I left her a small tip and she wrote me a very nice note. Not sure if that means she is just a very nice person or that no one leaves tips at the lodge? I like the bathroom with sink and make up area separate from shower/toilet. Bath amenities were nice also including mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc with regular size bars of soap....no baby size soaps that last for one day!

The lobby bar opened at 4 pm and actually made pretty strong....but good tasting drinks. They have numerous eateries....The Bears Den is a sports bar with flat screen TV's showing every kind of sport you can imagine. Food portions were huge and pretty American but hearty. Nice big bar area.

The Forebay was a very nice restaurant with good atmosphere. A bit pricey but food was excellent for seafood, steaks, chops and a nice wine list. Service was very good also.

There is a breakfast restaurant that I never made it to. Also, The Hershey Grill which I hear is quite nice but I did not realize where it was until the last day of my stay. It is located outside the hotel by the convention center. You have to "pop" outside for a moment to get there.

I found it very easy to get to from the Harrisburg airport. They have a Lodge Shuttle during normal hours for $20.00 each way that handles pick up and return. Cabs run about $25.00. Only takes about 15 minutes so easy to get to. Nice new airport in Harrisburg so flying in is pretty nice.

Overall, the hotel is a nice, old fashioned, woodsy type of accomodation. Not cheap by any means but nice for a convention stay or a long weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2009

The Lodge itself and the accomadations are very favorable but there was no where near enough parking accomodations for the amount of rooms offered. We had to drive around aimlessy on several occasions in hopes of getting a parking spot near our room, on one, and only one occasion we actually did, all the other times we had to park in the overflow area which was a haul from where our actual room was. Also the concierge service failed to follow through with cancelling a dinner reservation I had sheduled at an on-site restaurant (The Hershey Grill) resulting in an irritated message on my cell phone from the hostess asking if were still planning on coming for dinner. I will say though the rooms were very clean and the politeness of the room service staff is to be applauded. We did make it to the Hershey Grill for a Sunday Brunch a couple days later and the food was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We stayed at the Hershey Lodge for Fourth of July weekend this past summer. We had such a blast when we first visited four years ago and we couldn’t have been more pleased with our second visit!
We were greeted with friendly smiles, full-sized Hershey bars, and complimentary passes to Hershey Gardens and the Hershey Museum for everyone in our travel party. Our kids loved having their own check-in, where they got MORE chocolate and cowboy hats and bandannas. Every morning as we went through the lobby, we were treated to photo sessions and hugs with various Hershey’s characters. This is a great perk, because you won’t have to wait in line at Hershey Park to meet a favorite chocolate friend.
Our room was cozy and comfy, and the beds were such a delight to sleep on that we never managed to make it out of the room at the time we had planned! We had fun playing mini-golf and watching the Characters race each other by the outdoor pool. We were enjoying the indoor pool one night when everyone was evacuated because of the approaching thunderstorms. No worries, though, as we bought some souvenirs at the store, ate dinner onsite at Oberdecker’s and then played games in our room.
The staff is professional and courteous. The concierge was always helpful in providing directions and recommending other things to do and see in the Hershey area. Housekeeping kept the room immaculately clean, and always left us some Hershey’s miniature chocolates on our pillows after they were done in the room. We had such a good time, we recommend this place to chocolate lovers of all ages!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed at the Hershey Lodge for 1 night the weekend of December 5, 2008. This was a Breakfast with Santa package trip that we booked 2 years ago.
The staff was very helpful and polite. Check in was easy. The room was nice and comfortable.The Hershey Lodge seems like a fun place. Unfortunately we were only there 1 night.

We ate dinner at the Hershey Grill. A nice restaurant, however the adult menu is somewhat limited and pricey. The kids menu is ala carte. Lots of other places to eat both inside the hotel and in the area.

Looking forward to going back for a longer stay to be able to use more of the facility.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family