“Well, It's all about the chocolate.”
Review of Hershey Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hershey
Hershey Lodge
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 12 April 2009

The Hershey Lodge charges way too much for accommodations. Our room faced a parking lot & the a/c (or heat) was noisy, too hot or cold. There is nothing special about this hotel except its name. If I didn't know better, I would have thought a Days Inn, Clarion, Best Western, you get the idea.
There are corridors & rooms everywhere in a spider web fashion. Be prepared to have no idea where your room is!
The indoor pool w/ hot tub was the best part of our stay. The hotel itself & rooms are clean, the lobby is a huge space w/ gas fireplaces & comfy couches. Decor is simple, nice though.
I have to say that my favorite part was the Hershey candy bar you get from the "chocolate" cash register when you check in, cute touch. They also have a chocolate candle burning in the lobby which prepares you for your chocolate adventures! I would stay elsewhere & spend your money at the theme park, chocolate tours, museums or trolley tour.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,856)

Reviewed 11 April 2009

Please do not stay here. Especially in this economy, with at least 50 other hotel choices in the area, please do not waste your hard earned money on this property.

Here's why: We stayed with 2 small children who now refer to it as the creepy freaky hotel. Not exactly what you hope for when you vacation with your family. They are undergoing renovations that make the hotel look like a "demolition site." Those are the words of the front desk staff!

The room was tiny and the tub didn't drain. The lighting is dim at best and there is NO security. Main entry doors have a key swipe pad, but they do not function. Our floor/hallway looked like a horror movie. A majority of the rooms were vacant with doors propped open. Anyone could come and go from the outside to these rooms.

The hallways are ripped apart....bubbled carpeting, exposed piping, torn up ceilings. Our room smelled horribly of fresh paint because their were painters just down the hall (which was contrary to the letter left by management in the room that renovations would only take place on weekdays...we were there on a Saturday).

The manager on site told us she just walked the hotel and "the entire place was a mess" and she gave a discount on the room .

BUYER BEWARE: Renovation information isn't noted on the web site and the photos and information on the web site do not accurately represent reality.

For this type of situation, we should have been comped a room or comped a future stay to give the property a second chance. When we contacted the hotel after the stay, we couldn't get a response from anyone higher than Director of Rooms. We were offered only a complimentary upgrade based on availabilty next time. Considering that a room is $240 night including tax, we consider that an expensive gamble on a second chance.

FYI: the indoor pool is unheated, goes to 9 ft deep, and very far from most rooms.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank pghtraveler17
Reviewed 1 April 2009

This is my second stay at the Hershey Lodge, first being at the beginning of Spetember 2008 and then again March 2009. I requested a room in the Tower Building after reading reviews on here. I indeed was given a room in the Tower Building with no problem. The room was beautiful, nice LCD tv, beautiful and extremely comfortable bed, bathroom was pristine and free wireless internet in the room. My daughter and I traveled to Hershey and stayed over night at the Hershey Lodge after going to a concert. EVERYTHING was perfect. We arrived back from the concert and 4 HUGE chocolate chip cookies were waiting for us, along with milk in the fridge! The cookies were phenomenal, freshly made and I would swear that they were probably warm when they were delivered. I had thought a necklace of mine was taken from the room, but after speaking with security and filing a report, I found it in the bathroom (of course, right?!). I called securtiy, apologized for the misunderstanding and they were VERY understanding and didn't seem upset at all by the report and actually appreciated me calling to tell them it was found.

The only "complaint" I would have would be that the guests (who you could tell were adults) who came stolling through the hallway at about 2-2:30 a.m. were loud as can be with no consideration to other guests in the hotel. They were extremely inconsiderate and by the sounds of it they consumed too many cocktails. However, this is NOT the hotels fault. I can imagine it being quite loud in the middle of their high season when the park is open with people running all around throughout the hotel. The only reason I mention it is, so you are aware. Again, you get these kind of people no matter where you stay. Oh, one other thing.... I will agree parking is limited, we had to park way far from the closest entrance to our room. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get close parking during (once again) "high peak times".

I wouldn't let that keep me from staying at the Lodge, it is a beautiful hotel and the staff is very courteous and kind.

Reviewed 26 March 2009

Nice location with lots to do onsite. Really nice pool area, very nice worlkout area. Rooms and common areas showing significant wear. Rooms have nice beds, but are of generally so-so quality. Across the street from Penn State Hospital and not too far from all the Hershey attractions. Front desk staff were nice, but they seemed a bit aloof.

There are better choices in Hershey.

1  Thank beavertontim
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I stayed at the Hershey Lodge this past weekend and have to give this place a big thumbs up. I had read the previous reviews and while most are favorable I found the majority of the complaints to be of older furnishings and high prices for the summer time. Word of Caution - if you’re visiting Hershey in the summer prime time expect to pay high prices no matter where you go. Trust me you can stay at a no name crappy hotel and pay over $200 a night if there’s a big concert or show in town, I have. This is their prime time for visitors! We happened to take a girls weekend and rcvd a very nice rate of $169 a night which I felt was more than fair for the early spring.

First off I must point out that I requested a room in the newer tower section of the hotel and had no trouble getting it. I figured the bad reviews of old furnishings were based on the older rooms. Our room was very nicely decorated, clean and perfect for 3 adults. Bathroom was spotless and I loved the Hershey kiss wallpaper. Also really appreciated the Hershey hot chocolate packets with the in room coffee service!

We ate at Lebbie Leibeckers for breakfast the first morning which is located in the hotel. Note that they close at 11am so get there early. We were in around 10:30 and they seated and served us very quickly. We didn’t feel any pressure to leave even though the place cleared out. Little pricey but worth trying for one day. We had dinner at Houlihans one night and highly recommend it. Service was quick and the prices were reasonable for dinner. There is a Red Robin in town but the large group of waiting people in the parking lot made that an immediate no for us. Seems to be a popular place for dinner on the weekend.

The Cocoa Beanery at the Lodge is great for drinks but beware of their baked goods. I ordered a chocolate chip cookie expecting it to be warm and chewy. Instead it had been refrigerated and was hard as a rock (not from the cold but from being stale).

There was some cosmetic work being done in our hallway thru the weekend though there was no noise. When we asked our maid she explained that the entire lodge was getting new hall carpeting, wall treatments and lighting. They were pushing to be done by May for the summer crowds. The current hallways didn’t look that old to me but I guess any freshening up is good.

The layout of the hotel and the room numbering is very strange. I get the feeling as more and more buildings were constructed over the years the numbers just kept jumping around. They could have installed detailed layout maps in some of the central spots to avoid the confusion. That’s my only complaint really. Parking wasn’t that much of a problem this past weekend. Though I could see it being a pain in busy times as the overflow lots are much further away from the building entrances.

As a side note we did receive full size Hershey bars on check in and candies on the bed!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We spent President's weekend at the Hershey Lodge. It was outstanding. There were plenty of activities onsite to keep the kids busy. We went to the pool and game room during the day and in the evening we played bingo and went on a scavenger hunt - of course the prizes were Hershey's chocolate. The hotel is huge but well laid out and easy to get around. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The kids loved the character appearances (Reese's, Hershey Bar, Kiss, etc.). We ate in the Bears Den for dinner one night - casual atmosphere and decent food, we ate in Lebbie's for breaksfast - great buffet and one night ordered room service from the Bear's Den - also good.

We went offsite Sunday afternoon about 5 miles away to a local bowling alley - other than that we never left the hotel, and never wanted to. The lobby is beautiful and very comfortable - with a huge fireplace and plenty of seating. There is a nice coffee shop and at night there is a bar in the lobby - everyone was happy. The coffee shop also had pastries and light breakfast items.

All in all we had a great time and want to go back in the summer - the outdoor pool and mini golf look fun.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I had a convention to attend at the Lodge so stayed for three nights. Overall the lodge is lovely and old fashioned charming. I love the large fireplace in the middle of the lobby where chairs fit all around the four sides making it very cozy and welcoming in the winter time.

The rooms are pretty basic. Clean and somewhat small. There is no closet, just a area to hang clothes but there are plenty of drawers. Nice flat screen TV. Not real happy that the door to my room opened not only to the inner hallway but also the outside area (somewhat like a cheap motel) although furnishings are pretty top notch. The coffemaker with hot chocolate was a nice touch. My maid was great...I left her a small tip and she wrote me a very nice note. Not sure if that means she is just a very nice person or that no one leaves tips at the lodge? I like the bathroom with sink and make up area separate from shower/toilet. Bath amenities were nice also including mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc with regular size bars of soap....no baby size soaps that last for one day!

The lobby bar opened at 4 pm and actually made pretty strong....but good tasting drinks. They have numerous eateries....The Bears Den is a sports bar with flat screen TV's showing every kind of sport you can imagine. Food portions were huge and pretty American but hearty. Nice big bar area.

The Forebay was a very nice restaurant with good atmosphere. A bit pricey but food was excellent for seafood, steaks, chops and a nice wine list. Service was very good also.

There is a breakfast restaurant that I never made it to. Also, The Hershey Grill which I hear is quite nice but I did not realize where it was until the last day of my stay. It is located outside the hotel by the convention center. You have to "pop" outside for a moment to get there.

I found it very easy to get to from the Harrisburg airport. They have a Lodge Shuttle during normal hours for $20.00 each way that handles pick up and return. Cabs run about $25.00. Only takes about 15 minutes so easy to get to. Nice new airport in Harrisburg so flying in is pretty nice.

Overall, the hotel is a nice, old fashioned, woodsy type of accomodation. Not cheap by any means but nice for a convention stay or a long weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business