“I would not stay here again”

Red Roof Inn Hershey
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 7 August 2011

This is a very basic hotel. No amedities. We took it for 110.00 a night since many of the other places around Hershey were booked or over $200.00 a night. The hall does have an awful smell, but the rooms do not. The rooms are clean looking but very dated. I think some people would not mind this place, however I was eager to check out.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank slamonna

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I will never return to this motel nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. The rooms smell and are very dumpy. The office staff is slow and inefficient. We had to leave due to an illness and asked if we could get some money back and they said no and didn't offer any reason or solution. Just a no. I understand if there is a policy but he didn't explain anything. Just stood with looking dumbfounded. So we had to pay for a room we didn't end up using but as far as I am concerned we paid for nothing the entire trip. It really was unpleasant.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank smpan77
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The hotel was mediocre. I've stayed in motels before and this one was a little less than average. Basic offerings and you pay for what you get. We traveled with two other families and we all agreed that it was just OK, but clean.

However our room smelled and the kind folks at the front desk gave me Lysol spray which eventaully got rid of the odor. The other rooms had no odor. The beds were basic, bathroom in good shape (clean), and there were no frills about the room.

Since we spent most of our time at Hershey (about a 10 minute drive), the hotel met our needs in that way. But when we were there (an hour in the afternoon to swim and in the evenings while the kids were asleep), it was OK. Our rooms were toward the rear of the hotel on the ground floor. So anytime the wind blew from the backside of the hotel, we smelled the main trash receptacle. Not pleasant at all.

The last night we were there we saw a few bugs in our rooms, and we had to make sure as we were packing up that they didn't include themselves in our luggage.

The pool is on the small-ish side, but clean. The grounds were nice and good for kids to run around. The owners were very kind, friendly, and helpful.

If you're looking for a basic motel and don't want to spend much money, I would hesistantly recommend it. Would I stay there again? Probably not. You pay for what you get and getting a rating is 3 is being kind. I would say it was a 2++++, but not poor rating.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank JRJanker
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Overall, my family and I enjoyed a hassle-free 3 day stay at this motel. For the price of $125.00 a night, I would have expected a little bit more for the money; such as a few toiletries and a small microwave or dorm-size refrigerator in each room. They actually charge $15.00 per day if you request such a fridge. The interior of each room is very dated, but we were primarily at Hershey Park throughout most of our stay and mainly used the room to sleep. The air conditioner was nice and cold and the shower had very decent water pressure.

The motel is very near to Hersheypark, as well as to the various fast-food restaurants (Sonic, Arby’s, Dairy Queen, Friendly’s, etc.), not to mention a nearby Wal-Mart Super Center. The local restaurants, like Duke’s, also serve up some delicious food. Parking was also very easy to find and you could find a convenient spot very close to your room.

If you have a room on the second floor, I hope you don’t have an abundance of heavy luggage because you will encounter a bit of difficulty lugging it all up those unforgiving cement steps. I will admit the steps and hallway did have a weak disgusting smell, but the offending scent dissipated when we opened the door and air circulated throughout. There should be an icemaker on the second floor since you have to walk down to the first floor’s icemaker when you want some ice cubes.

The older gentleman in the main office is exceedingly cordial and tries his best to accommodate you. I was changing a flat tire on my SUV in the parking lot and he surprisingly came out of his office and got down on the ground to help with the tricky placement of the jack. The two maids (one for each floor) were these elderly women who were so sweet and hard-working, we all left a larger than average tip for them.

The pleasant attitude of the staff alone more than made of for the "No-Frills" nature of the motel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank ShockinSean
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Best kept secret in Hershey. Clean, friendly and fair...they are the best in town.
Please believe me, they are family owned and really care about you and your stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kjfeathers
Reviewed 10 May 2008

The place was very bad.A terrible smell in our room.It reeked of cat pee.Plus there were a bug like spider that looked like black widdows.I had two children so this wasent very helpful.i was very worried.It was very hard to sleep on the lumpy bed.It looked like there were earwigs in the bed.(ew) i wil,l never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Hotelstayerater
Reviewed 27 August 2007

Basic accomodations; clean bathroom; mattresses bit lumpy but ok; television has good channels; pool refreshing after a hot, humid day at the Park. The other hotels and motels in the area of the Park are terribly over-priced during peak season, and if you want just good accomodations for the necessities, then consider this. The motel is about two miles away, and very convenient. Funck's Family Restaurant is recommended for good meals, and have great fried chicken. Duke's across the street from the motel is also good. Bring your own toiletries.

• Stayed: August 2007