“Great value, cordial attention”

Howard Johnson Inn Hershey
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a nice hotel, clean and well located. Breakfast is not fantastic but it's ok, the manager is warm and helpful and the rate is more than reasonable. Plus the restaurant downstairs is magnificent!
Andrés (Portugal)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 April 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! This was by far the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in and I have been in some really horrible places. There was NO breakfast. No coffee, no juice, no muffins. NOTHING. It is a very "worn" hotel and had an unidentified smell as you entered. It could use some major updating.

My room was clean, but my sheets were worn and the bottom sheet had several holes in them near the bed skirt, which also had several holes in them. There were marks on the wall like someone had laid on the bed and kicked their heels against the wall for a long period of time. And my heater never seemed to kick on fully, even after turning it up several times. Over by my heater unit there was a HUGE cobweb that had to have been there for some time. I double checked to make sure there were no "residents" in the cobweb, but saw nothing but three smashed spiders on the ceiling. There was a LOT of noise and people running up and down the halls, yelling until very early in the morning. And again, nothing was done about that.
My friends room was horrible [they are not on TripAdvisor and have asked me to review their room for them], not clean and had garbage on the floor [which they left there thinking the maid would pick it up the next day]. Their toilet was plugged and no one ever addressed that even after being told about it.

The next day when we got back to the room after a long day of touring and shopping, my friend immediately called me into her room to look at the fact that the maid had put the garbage that was ON THE FLOOR into her SUITCASE. Which had been on the luggage rack, but was now on the bed. She went to the front desk to talk to someone, but was told that she would have to address that in the morning when she checked out as the person at the desk wasn't able to help them at that time. We went back to her room, which was still dirty and had hair in the sink and tub and the toilet issue had not yet been addressed.
I dreaded going into my room, but thankfully, my room was clean and everything looked to be as I had left it, though I went through all of my stuff to make sure. My heater again didn't work well that night. I had a hot shower in the morning [which I was grateful for as my friends did not] and we got ready to check out.

Went to the front desk to check out and the manager [who never gave us his name even after both of us asking for it. We took a card but found out that wasn't him. He had just replaced the previous general manager] there was VERY uncooperative. Acted like we were lying and didn't want to hear about how awful our stay was. And when we said we would be both contacting corporate and writing a review here I thought his head was going to come off his shoulders. He finally said he would give her a $20 discount if we would go on our way. She took it and called corporate anyway. She is currently trying to resolve the issue.

I would be VERY careful here. She felt like they went through her things and to put garbage from the previous guest [that SHOULD have been thrown away in the first place] in HER LUGGAGE was inexcusable. I would be very leery of staying here if you are planning a trip and I know I will NEVER, EVER stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank DawnMichelleK
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I hosted our wedding celebration this past weekend with friends and family. We reserved a block of rooms for 99.00/night which were perfect. Larry the manager went out of his way to make sure we were satisfied with everything and was great to work with. We had our meal in the 5 star restaurant below "What If" and breakfast across the street. Our guests just parked their cars for the weekend and walked a short distance to meals. Clean, safe, &friendly. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank cpblade16
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Manager Larry Shaikh knows customer service and he was superb. He very helpful and went out of his way to make our stay pleasant. He provided directions to one of the attractions and was spot on. We will call on him again in future trips to the Hershey area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Victor M
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our group visited Hershey recently for a "girl's weekend". We stayed at the Howard Johnson Inn and were very pleased with the overall experience. The service was outstanding. The inn is located near Hershey's main attractions. Convenient parking was offered. The pricing is very reasonable. The manager (Larry Shaikh) was outstanding. Larry did everything possible to make sure our stay was enjoyable. My mother forgot an item in our room. We did not realize it until we had returned home. We called the inn and Larry was tremendous. He located the item and shipped it to our house. We received it the very next day! My mother was so thrilled. Thank you Larry for your outstanding customer service. Larry even gave us a follow up call to be sure we had received the item. We will be back for the 2015 girl's weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotels idea of handicap accesable is to have handicapped parking space by the front desk. There were no grab bars in the bathrooms. Despite my specifically requesting a handicapped room when I called the hotel to make my reservation I was told there would be no problem. He said he would have to move me up to the bigger more expensive room with two beds. I also asked for the single room room which showed a sofa in it. Often I cannot sleep laying down and have to sleep sitting up. So he told not to worry there would be a large comfortable chair. When I got to the hotel I could barely manuver the hallways in my power chair. When I got to the room the bathroom had a tub. There were a couple of cheap chairs in the room. There were no grab rails for the tub or toilet. I sat on one of the beds and it fell to the floor. The mattress was on the rails with no support under it. When I called to complain I was given a one bed room. The room was freezing. I turned the heat up to 80 degrees and iit still never got warm. The room was a wiffle ball. The was an unmended rip across the top of the comforter. The chair in the room was stained and had dust bunnies or something in the cracks. This room had a walk in shower but again no safety rails or even anti-slip strips on the floor of the stall. When using the toilet because of the lack of hand grips my knee buckled and I fell to the floor. The bathroom was tiny and anyone needing to use a walker or wheelchair would be in serious trouble.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Charles Q
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Overall, I had an Amazing stay!! The hotel is really nice and the management was Great!! The General Manager Larry Shaikh was really helpful and did whatever he could to make sure I enjoyed my stay. His customer service was superb!! The room was clean, comfortable and well equipped. This place is convenient to every thing and the price is very reasonable!! The continental breakfast was also really good!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family