“Inexpensive alternative in Hershey”

Simmons Motel and Suites
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was our second trip to the Simmons Motel. I guess its ok if you want inexpensive accommodations in Hershey, where a room at the Hershey Hotel can cost you north of $400 and a room at a mid-level chain like the Comfort Inn is $200 or more. The location is close to the park and right on Chocolate Avenue so you are not far from good local restaurants that are better than the chains. Try the Chocolate Avenue Grill, which is only a couple of blocks away. The rooms are very spartan. It's like staying at your Great Aunt's house. The one who still uses the same furniture and linens she bought in 1957. The bathroom has soap but no shampoo. Weird for a motel in today's day and age. The place is nothing fancy. I mean it, you cannot get less fancy than this place. The upside is that we were able to get a "suite" with three bedrooms for our party of seven and everyone had a place to sleep. The cost was just over $200, and two rooms at any other budget motel in Hershey would have cost us at least $300 but probably closer to $400 or more. So if you want to save money on the hotel and spend most of your time at the park or Chocolate World this is an ok choice. Just remember this is a no frills place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank familyguy13

Reviewed 6 July 2012

The two of us have been there two years in a row, June 2010 & 2011, and will be going again, this July. Mom and son, Whitney, run a wonderful motel in downtown Hershey. You can walk to downtown to many restaurants. You can even park downtown and catch a jitney to Hershey Park and avoid the parking lot fees. But most importantly the motel is immaculately clean. Quaint old fashioned rooms

Room Tip: We were in the same room two years in a row. We were right near the entrance but it was not noisey.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom H
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Skip the big-box cookie cutter hotels and stay at the Simmons. I stayed here as a kid and went back 20 years later to reminisce. The place is clean, inexpensive, and within walking distance to Hershey Park so you don't have to pay for parking. There is Rite-Aid right next door, and a charming cheese shop a block down. The place is outdated but spacious. Stay somewhere different and support local businesses!

Room Tip: I prefer a room where I can peek out and check on my car - ask for room 3.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nancy138
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I was in Hershey, Pa for medical treatment. The Simmons Motel was a small, nice 'mom and pop' kind of motel. The check-in and check-out was very easy and the staff was very helpful. They gave me a Hershey Medical discount too. Rooms are a bit small but very nice for a short stay. I will definately go back.

Room Tip: Our first triip gave us room 5, but it was a bit small, tho very comfortable for a nights stay. Whe...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CountryMouse103
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I recently stayed at this motel based on a recommendation from a client. I was having surgery at the medical center and they offered a discount for people going to the hospital,which was a plus. upon checking in we were taken to an old fashioned motel room that looked like it was from the 50s. Like the reviews say the locks are not very good, it smelled like smoke at night and there was a huge problem with the heat. The room my husband and I stayed in was very hot like 80. The room my mom and friend stayed in had no heat. After repeatedly calling the front desk and them not responding for two days it was 50degrees in the room by morning. A little too cold for a December night! The manager disappeared and was never seen again as we checked out. It reminded me a little of the bates motel! Creepy and not worth the discount rate. Make sure heat is included in your room rate! Or better yet stay at the Best Western! They have heat and hot water!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 1Hairchick
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've been staying at the Simmons Motel for 20 years while others in my group have been there for more than 35 years. It's a family run collection of serviceable rooms where you can feel at home and still be walking distance to most everything in Hershey. There is a big negative concerning water temperature in the shower if everyone in the hotel gets up at the same time to attend the early October swap meet but that should not be a problem the rest of the year. Likewise setting a value on the Simmons is difficult when the whole area is set upon by visitor from around the world.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank oldcartours
Reviewed 3 October 2011

In addition to being filthy, shabby, and noisy, this dump DID NOT HAVE 3-PRONGED OUTLETS with the grounding slot for modern electronics, so I could not charge any of my electronics--computer, phone, etc. Person living (?) under my room was smoking, which did not help. Very creepy location right next to an abandoned industrial property. Doors very unsecure. Outdoor walkways smelled like pet urine. Felt like I was in my grandmother's apartment in 1950, only worse.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo