“Great Place to stay in Hershey”

Simmons Motel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
“Great Place to stay in Hershey”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was the perfect place to stay to visit Hershey park. We just needed a place for 2 days to sleep after spending the day at the park. This motel fit the bill perfectly. It's within walking distance to the park and there is a Rite Aid two house down that has a mini mart so you can stock up on milk and small items to store in the mini fridge in your room. AC worked great and the room was clean.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jodi V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our family of four recently stayed at Simmons Motel to visit Hershey Park. Pros: very close to Hershey Park, friendly staff, reasonably priced. Cons: outdated, musty smell in room (it did dissipate once we turned the ac on), no frills (no hair dryer, shampoo, etc.). Overall we had a decent stay. If you don't mind the décor and bringing your own toiletries the hotel is fine for an overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank polkadotfish
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This motel is just round the corner to the Hershey experience. There aren't any coffee making facilities but it does have a fridge and a microwave if you need them. Make sure you bring your own toiletries as they don't have any in the room. Well ventilated and the AC works well.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your own toiletries.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda K
Centerbrook, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at Simmons twice the past ywo memorial day weekends. It's like staying at a family home rather than a commercial cookie cutter hotel. I love the atmosphere, the location and the staff. The owner is a sweet heart.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sampo_rob
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to visit Hershey park as part of a 9 day vacation to the area.

Pros:
-Incredibly clean - like impossibly clean, semi shag carpet felt brand new and white grout was still white.
-Very friendly - staff were polite and helpful. Marnie is incredible. Whitney is eager to please but if your request has to do with your reservation or anything else electronic just wait until Marnie is back on duty.
-Extremely close to Hershey
-Free parking included
-Cheap - couldn't beat the rate we got through Expedia - although hearing someone else get quoted full price this one may be debatable.
-Includes microwave and fridge
-Adequately comfortable bed
-decent amount of space

Weird things you may love or hate:
-No coffee maker, hairdryer, chair, ice bucket/ ice, shampoo/ conditioner etc.
-"Closet" was rack with hangers screwed into the wall next to bed, leaving everything visible.
-Definitely not a motel - has a combination of outside door rooms, inside door rooms and apartment type units over 3 buildings.
-Has outdoor space for relaxing and bbq-ing but right next to units.
-Weird arts and crafts things - depending on your taste you'll either find them sweet and quaint or feel like you're in a bad horror movie.
-huge window in our room - looking at outdoor parking with lights on all night.
-General feeling that you're staying at Grandma's house.

Cons:
-Limited parking - the lot was crammed and the hotel wasn't full yet, although I don't know that this ever actually becomes an issue.
-Super dark hallway leading to our room
-Hand written signs from management informing you they will enter and inventory the unit each day for anything stolen or damaged which they will then charge to your room.... in the exact spot you expect to find a nice note saying to just ask if you forgot anything....
-The abundance of "don't do this" style signs around the room.
-Otherwise nothing else..... it was decent despite the oddities.

Room Tip: If you want something specific, phone and ask when you book.... otherwise they all seem to be comple...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kathleen M
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I booked a stay May 2014 to celebrate a birthday. The day of my reservation, I called to confirm, but while on the phone noticed that my reservation date was for the following night. I had meant to book for Saturday, but accidentally booked Sunday. I spoke with Whitney Simmons, and he was incredibly understanding, and went out if his way to assure me that even though they were booked, they would make sure I had a room, and a great trip. And he delivered. They were able to get me a room, the one I had originally booked which was a basic queen.
The woman at check-in was very nice, and although the situation was rather confusing, finally checked me in with a smile. The room was old fashioned but extremely cute. There was even a microwave and small fridge, which I was not expecting. Shag green carpet, tiny but clean bathroom. There were cute fake flower decorations around the room. I thought it was charming, but note that there were no toiletries or hairdryer. Luckily, I did my research and was prepared. The hotel is in a fantastic location, which is one of the top two reasons I booked it. The other was all the positive reviews online. We could walk outside and hear the screams from the rollercoasters, and even see them. That's how close the hotel is to the park. We walked to the Chocolate Grill, chocolate museum, and Hoolihans.
To summarize, this is an adorable no frills motel with an amazing location, great value, and amazing staff. We saw people working on the landscaping the entire time we were there, showing that they truly care about the condition of the motel. And again, a huge thank you to Whitney for saving my vacation. Without him, I would have been sleeping in my car. He really cared about the predicament I was in, and reassured me that he'd do everything he could to help me. They even honored the price I originally booked the room for,which had been a huge fear on my drive there. The Simmons motel is the only place I will stay at in the future when I visit Hershey. Their customer service cannot be matched at any other hotel, and I have been all over the world. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank AESWillowGrove
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We decided to take my mom to Hershey for her birthday along with our two children. The price was really good, and the website made it look like a nice quaint place. The first thing was when we checked in we had booked our hotel on one card, but they assured us we could pay with a different card. It has been six days, and I had a 300.00 hold on one account and a charge on the other and I just checked my account and I now have two 300.00 charges .So right now, pre refund they have 600.00, this might be an honest mistake but at check out they assured us that we would have the hold released within a day or two and that they receptionist would call us. I called yesterday and talked to the owner a very sweet old lady and she said "oh honey i don't know anything about that I will have my girl call you".
When we checked in, there were long dark hairs all over the pillowcases and the sheets had some stains, we got new pillowcases and just didn't think much of it. Next, my mom was taking a shower when the towel bar fell off the wall nearly hitting her. My husband was at the motel with the kids for naptime and he said one of the grounds/maintenance guy was outside yelling and throwing profanities around and the kids could clearly hear it.
That night my mom was woken up by men yelling out front of our apartment about a Word that trip advisor won't let me use in the reveiw. She was up for awhile past midnight as this started at 12:30, we told the manager and he said "OH YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME". Then an African American family came in and he nodded at them saying "i think i know where the noise came from." it was really awkward . The pictures were all screwed into the wall with screws which was odd. There was a sign telling people not to steal the crafts or towels because everything is inventoried. The crafts were all broken anyway, i don't think that was a risk. There was no shampoo , just bar soap, which is ok, but we were in a suite I thought maybe we would have shampoo. It was truly awful, I wouldn't go back here again. It was really not professionally run at all, the manager seemed like a master swindler and although he was nice it was clear that customer service was not in his top 10 priorities. I would rather stay less time and pay for a more expensive hotel.
Also they boast WIFI, there was no wifi in any of the apartments and so I couldn't do any work while I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank AllisonB7386

Travellers are raving about these Hershey hotels