“Gorgeous hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
“Gorgeous hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Brand new, beautiful, with friendly staff. We stayed one night in a suite which gives extra space and a sofa. Truly the best one night stay we've had in this type of motel. Pool was a bit small, but we didn't have the time to use it. Breakfast was the best "free" breakfast we've had a this type of place. We forgot our toiletry bag and found a CVS around the corner. Located a short drive from Hershey, we were glad to find a vacancy. It is not exactly on Chocolate Ave, but close enough. Had a lovely dinner at the Chocolate Grill. Get the sampler flight from Troeg Brewery.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
molly_troutman, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It sounds as if all your needs were met with the Free Breakfast and the CVS around the corner. I am very glad we were able to accommodate. If you are every in Hershey again, please come back and see us again! If you didn't try the Brisket at Troegs you need to go back and do so, it's amazing!!!! Hope to see you soon!

Molly Troutman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our family recently stayed there this past weekend traveling back to NC. Service was great and a special thank you to Johanna at the front desk. She was very professional, accommodating, and willing to go the extra mile to ensure we were taken care off. Room was very clean and the breakfast the next morning was a good sendoff for our journey. I would highly recommend staying here when visiting Hershey.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DUKECMV
molly_troutman, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful response. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt your room was clean and the staff were very friendly. I will surely pass along your nice comment about Johanna, she truly is an asset to our business. If you are ever in the Hershey Area again, we would love to have you stay with!

West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Appeared to be a brand new hotel. Very clean & well-maintained. Comfortable room (suite) with "living room" area set-off from sleeping area; 2 TVs; quiet, even though the hotel was filled with families with small children. Breakfast buffet well stocked and maintained, even during peak times. CVS within walking distance for any emergency needs.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to a suite; they have a bit more room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great response. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that if you are in the Hershey area again that you will come back and stay with us.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel was great. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The executive suite was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable and waking up to a nice warm buffet breakfast which was included in our room stay was very nice. Truly another great Marriott property. We were there for the holiday lights and will be back in the Spring again!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast. We are making some slight changes to it, by adding some bacon, and biscuits and sausage gravy. We hope we will be your hotel of choice when you return to Hershey in the Spring.

NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just returned from a last minute trip to Hershey for the last day of the park's Candylane Season, as well as Hershey's town New Year's Eve celebration. The Hotel Hershey and Hershey Lodge were long sold out so I checked TripAdvisor and found this new Marriott affiliated gem located literally just a few minutes away from the amusement park (you can even it see it clearly from the "Kiss Tower" ride. So glad we found it! The staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous – and even recommended purchasing hand warmers in their market for the bitterly cold day. Priced at only a dollar (amazing for a hotel "market) they were a lifesaver all the way into the night! The room was pristine, ideally designed and appointed, and the beds made for a very comfortable night of sleep. Although we spent very little time in the room itself we could not have been happier. Kids loved it too! Room rate also included a buffet breakfast the next morning with make your own waffles, warmers with freshly scrambled eggs and sausage – plus the usual array of breakfast items always found in these types of breakfast plans. The room rate was not jacked up for New Year's Eve and many families were taking advantage of this new hotel for the same holiday reason. We will definitely be returning to the Fairfield during the regular Hershey Park season. Short drive to center of town for dinners, etc.
(P.S. I left my purse in one of the drawers and they immediately called to notify us. They were so helpful and agreed to overnight it to me using our own FedEx account number. Thank you to the housecleaning staff for their diligence in checking where I had not [it was a backup bag but had my keys in it!])

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your great review. I am so happy to hear those hand warmers worked out well for you! They were a hot seller that day! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will come back and see us again real soon!

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn for one night to visit the Hershey Christmas attractions with family, and overall, I would recommend this hotel. We’ve been to Hershey many times over the years, and we’ve found it difficult to find a reliable place to stay, similar to many other destinations that serve almost solely leisure travelers. There aren’t really higher-end hotels in Hershey (unless you’re willing to pay an arm and a leg to stay at the Hotel Hershey), and the mid-range hotels offered in the area tend to be worn out and beat up from all of the families with kids in and out during the high season to visit Hersheypark. Families with kids simply tend to be hard on a hotel. We’ve often ended up staying in Harrisburg as an alternative in the past, which can be a little bit of a hassle, so when I saw that a new Fairfield Inn had been constructed right in Hershey, I was excited to give it a try. I don’t expect the hotel to be in great shape in ten years unless the staff does a consistent job of keeping things maintained, but I expected that it would still be nice and fresh in December, having just opened in the spring.

It turns out that the hotel is very nice and fresh. I could tell it was a nice property immediately after walking into the lobby. This new Fairfield Inn is like night and day compared to some older Fairfield Inns in other destinations, so definitely give it a try even if you’re not a Fairfield Inn fan. The lobby is nice, open, and large, with a nice big breakfast area and a couple of attractive seating areas. There’s plenty of space (maybe even a little too much) for those who are checking in at the nice front desk area to be out of the way of others. Given the tiny, cramped lobby set-up that a lot of older Fairfield Inns offer, the lobby here impressed me.

We checked in at night, and the front desk staff was very friendly, something that I noticed in all of the staff we encountered here. They weren’t pushy or annoying, yet genuinely seemed nice and helpful. They made a big deal of recognizing our elite Marriott Rewards status, which is always nice. However, one thing I would recommend is that the hotel considers offering more upgrades to elite Marriott Rewards members to go along with that recognition. We were booked in a standard room with two queens, and we were hoping to get an upgrade to one of the suites, knowing that the “suites” here are really just larger rooms with extra space for a pullout couch, and that online, they appeared to have some available the night we were there. Obviously, we had no right to an upgrade without paying extra, and it’s not an actual negative against the hotel not to get one. Maybe they all ended up getting booked or were given to people who arrived before us who were more deserving. However, it would have been a great positive to get an upgraded room, and I read several TripAdvisor reviews in which others mentioned getting offered free upgrades to the suites here for no real reason in particular. We’ve grown accustomed to full-service Marriott properties offering upgrades without asking. It’s just a nice bit of goodwill to offer upgrades to elite Rewards members, especially since we’re the ones who are most likely to be loyal and make an effort to stay at this property each time we visit if we have a good experience. We’re less likely to jump ship for the Hampton Inn down the street if it happens to be a bit cheaper next time.

Regardless, the room we were given (Room 419) was very nice and perfectly clean! The basic room with two queens at this Fairfield Inn was better than many rooms that I’ve encountered at older full-service Marriotts and Courtyards that are supposed to be at a higher level. The age of the hotel makes a huge difference. The hallways outside the rooms were bright and cheerful with fun colors and carpeting, and the room itself was still really fresh and new in shades of orange, yellow, and blue, with dark wood. Everything is still in great condition, and we found the beds to be nice and comfortable (some others might say they weren’t soft enough, but they were great for our taste).

It was interesting because I noticed when I was looking around the room that it wasn’t the largest room. There wasn’t actually enough space to adequately hold a chair, so the chair in the room is a very small one that is kind of crammed between the one bed and the wall. Not that it mattered, but there also isn’t a normal closet, since the room design didn’t include space for a typical closet. Regardless, even if the room was a little bit small, it had high ceilings and mirrors that still made it feel like a nice size.

Even if the room could have used some more space, the bathroom was definitely a nice size, which I appreciate even more than extra space in the room. The bathroom had nice granite counters with a lot of counter space, along with attractive tile and great cleanliness. The only slight issue in the bathroom was that the lock on the bathroom door didn’t work.

I also appreciated that, although this isn’t a high-end hotel, there were several faux high end finishes. Sure, the bedding is a bit thin, but it looks just like the duvets you’ll encounter in high-end hotels. Sure, the bathroom shower doesn’t actually have fancy tile in it, but the cheaper material with textured tiles appears just as nice as what you’d find in a nicer hotel. Sure, the bathroom mirror is just plastic, but it looks just like the leather-trimmed ones that many fancier properties are offering these days. I thought these touches were really clever and ended up looking nice.

There were a couple small things about the room that could use improvement. It was nice that the room had a mini-fridge and microwave, but our refrigerator didn’t work. The free wifi was also nice to have, but a bit difficult to connect to, an issue that we had on all of our Apple devices. Noise from the room above was also a bit bothersome. We didn’t hear from any of the neighboring rooms on our floor, but we could consistently hear the footsteps of those above, which sounded like a loud thud from time to time. At first, I thought it was coming from people jumping off of the beds above us, but after reading other reviews, I think it’s just common noise due to bad sound proofing. It’s a shame that a brand new hotel would have that issue, since I don’t know what (if anything) can be done to fix it, other than requesting a room on the top floor.

There were also a couple of small things unrelated to the rooms that the hotel should work on. We noticed that one of the elevators had a ‘Caution: Wet Floor’ cone in it that stayed there for the entire time we were at the hotel. The floor was not wet at any point when we used it. Just doing simple things like making sure that is removed in a timely manner can go a long way. In addition, we thought it was sloppy that the staff break room on the first floor, which has a window looking out at the parking lot, was so open to those walking by outside. When first walking into the hotel, it made a bad impression that this room was so visible. The lights were on and we could see into the slightly messy break room, so I would recommend simply making sure the lights aren’t always on so guests outside can see in, or investing in better blinds to make this room more hidden from the outside.

We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel. I thought the continental breakfast here was a step above what I’ve had at Fairfield Inns in the past. The breakfast area was spacious, both in terms of seating and the area where the food was served. The staff working the breakfast area was very efficient and did a great job of keeping things clean and restocked at all times. In addition to standard cold options, there were two hot items offered (scrambled eggs and sausage), and I appreciated that there were several waffle irons for the make-your-own waffles, since they were popular and each waffle takes a few minutes to make. Even the selection of cut fruit was a bit better than what the average free breakfast offers, so I definitely give the breakfast a thumbs up. Is it gourmet? No. But it is one of the better free continental breakfasts I’ve encountered lately. Note that even though there is a good amount of seating, the breakfast area gets very crowded. The hotel was pretty full with families when we were there, so it got a bit chaotic at breakfast after 8:00. I’m sure it’s similar, if not worse, in the summer high season.

Although we didn’t use it, I saw the hotel’s indoor pool, which looked a bit small. There were about four kids in it one time when I walked by, and it looked like it couldn’t comfortably hold many more. Just be aware that the pool is on the small side and may not be able to accommodate all of the families who would like to use it.

In terms of location, the Fairfield Inn is convenient to everything in Hershey. Hersheypark, Chocolate World, and the outlet stores are all about a five-minute drive away. Although this hotel advertises that it’s on Chocolate Avenue, it’s actually a block off, in a sort of unusual residential location for a hotel. However, other than for the fun name, I’m not sure why being on Chocolate Avenue is really much of a benefit anyway. There’s really not much on that street, other than old houses and a few small businesses, none of which seemed particularly interesting. Further down, there is a section of Chocolate Avenue that is a bit more touristy, featuring the Hershey Story attraction and a few other restaurants, such as Chocolate Avenue Grill, Houlihan’s, and Devon Seafood Grill. None of these things are really within easy walking distance of the hotel, though they’re only a couple minutes away by car. The only things within walking distance of the hotel are a CVS a block away, along with a Staples store. All of the rooms on the backside of the hotel look out to the back of the Staples shopping center, which isn’t the nicest view.

All in all, I would recommend the Fairfield Inn. If you’re looking for a convenient option in Hershey that is within easy driving distance of all the main attractions, this hotel fits the bill, with the bonus of being really fresh and new. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was good. I would recommend that the hotel focus on making sure they’re keeping up with maintenance around the rooms and throughout the property to make sure that it doesn’t get the old, tired feeling of similar properties in Hershey. For now, I’d definitely make a point of choosing this property when in Hershey.

Room Tip: There aren't any great views, but rooms on the front side probably have a better view. Rooms on...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mrg0137
Thank you for you great review. You touched on a lot of great points that I will review with my team. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that when you are in the Hershey area again you would be staying with us. We look forward to hosting you and your family again real soon!

Chester Springs, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were in town for an athletic competition and hadn't planned to spend the night. However, the forecast was for snow and icy roads, and as we had to be there bright and early we decided to book a hotel nearby. We chose the Fairfield Inn, which was an excellent choice. It is very new and scrupulously clean. My in-laws were upgraded to a king suite which had a huge separate living area. We had a spacious room with 2 queens. The bathroom was surprisingly well designed. The staff at the front desk were very helpful as we tried to find a restaurant that was close by since we didn't want to drive too far in the snow. There are many options within a mile or two of the hotel. If you are planning to visit Hershey Park, I think this would be a great choice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
molly_troutman, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for such a great response. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We just opened in April of 2013 and we do try to keep our property clean for every guest to enjoy. We are glad that we were able to accommodate your last minute overnight trip. If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us.

Molly Troutman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hershey
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey
Howard Johnson Inn Hershey
Hilton Garden Inn Hershey
Hilton Garden Inn Hershey
#2 of 4 in Hummelstown

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue? Share your experiences!