“Supply & Demand Pricing”
Review of Travelodge Hershey

Travelodge Hershey
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Harleysville, PA
“Supply & Demand Pricing”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Travelodge Hershey the night of the Bruce Springsteen concert in May 2014. It’s more of a motor lodge than a hotel (you park outside of your unit). The place is adequate, nothing fancy for sure! Mind you I didn’t have high expectations, but in our case this was really a budget hotel charging deluxe rates – very much a case of supply & demand pricing due to the big event in town… By the time we decided to go to the show and stay overnight most of the hotels in proximity to HersheyStadium were sold out – this seemed to be the best of the rest.

Overall this Travelodge was OK. The staff was friendly, and the checkin/checkout were quick and efficient. Our room was clean and comfortable, just really dated and WAY overpriced ($209 for the night, including tax). We stayed in unit 37 which has its entrance on the opposite side of the parking lot; I was a little unsettled when I saw they had security grates on the first floor windows (but thankfully there were no security concerns during our stay). Although clean, the room had a musty smell (bothered my husband more than me). My biggest complaint was that there was no counterspace or shelves in the bathroom – the only place to store toiletries was on the edges of the sink or on top of the toilet tank (and the toilet seat did not have a lid – too risky to keep anything there really).

The hotel is convenient to the Hershey attractions. At rush hour in pre-concert traffic it took about 25 minutes to get to the stadium area (and then another 40 minutes to park, but that’s another story!). It was even quicker to get back to the hotel – it seemed 99% of the post-concert traffic was heading for the highways, but since we were staying in town we went in the opposite direction and were in our room about 15 minutes after we got in our car, so in that regard the hotel worked out great.

If you’re a light sleeper I’d recommend bringing earplugs in case of any loud guests (sound travels), and also turn on the heater/AC unit for white noise. Our King Size bed was very comfortable, and we enjoyed a very good night’s sleep. Despite the high price this was a better alternative than facing a 2+ hour drive home from the show.

FYI, when we got home my husband checked the Travelodge Hershey rates for this coming Wednesday and what do you know, they’re charging $66/night which seems about right (too bad we paid about 3x that!).

I’ve stayed in a few other Travelodge properties in the U.S. and in Australia over the years, and the quality of this property was significantly below the others. It’s not a bad place to stay, but keep your expectations in check. I think for their normal budget rate the hotel would suffice, but I personally don’t think this property warrants a room rate over $79 per night.

At the premium price I’d give the Travelodge Hershey 2.5 stars; at their regular rates I’d give it 3 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first