“Clean but needs some work”

Quality Inn & Suites Hershey
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Woodbridge, New Jersey
“Clean but needs some work”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I checked out of this hotel Sunday morning after a 2 day stay. Checking in was pretty easy, the people at the front desk seemed nice. They took the time to advise us of the breakfast and pool hours. We had a 2nd floor room, looking at the hotel next door. We had one with a king bed, and we both felt the room was a nice size. There were no issues with cleanliness that I could see. There was a mini-fridge and microwave in the room which was a nice thing to have. The internet was a little sketchy. I was able to get right on sometimes, other times it took a few tries. A friend in another room on the 1st floor was told he needed an Ethernet wire to connect, not sure what that was about.
They have most of the same offerings as other hotels that offer breakfast, but the breakfast area is set up kind of weird. There is a wall dividing the section up, and for example the waffle maker is on one side, but you have to go to the other side if you want butter. Same thing with the toast, it's on one side of the wall and the toasters and butter are on the other. The juice machine is set in a corner where it doesn't really fit and they have extra pitchers of juice with it. Next to that is a sink, and then the coffee pots. There's really not counter space to make you coffee unless you bring it to a table, but when it's crowded, that's not always your first choice. It seems to me they need to reorganize the whole section for less walking back and forth especially when it's crowded.
Speaking of coffee, it was only available during the day when the boss was there. Despite being advertised as 24 hours, when we asked, we were told they did not have it at night. Friends in 2 other rooms were told the same thing. I do have to add, that upon checking out, I did mention I was disappointed not to have coffee in the evenings, and the man who I believe might have been the boss told me it was supposed to be 24 hours and he would talk to the night guy. Hopefully he does.
Also regarding breakfast, the hot food was not that great. There was only 1 waffle maker and that was fine, but the sausage looked pretty gross, and so did the hash browns. The color of the food was unappetizing to say the least. I realize it is only heated on location, but it might be time to find a supplier who can provide food that at least looks cooked. We try to stay in Choice hotels most of the time and those two items never looked so bad in any other hotel we tried.
On Saturday we used the pool. There were wet towels around from a previous guest, but other wise it was pretty clean. The pool is a little small, but only my hubby and I were in it at the time so it was fine. It was heated, so that was a plus.
The vending machines were not working, however you were able to buy soda at the front desk according to the sign. We brought our own, so we did not need it.
All in all, I think we would stay here again, primarily because the day time front desk people are very nice, and the rooms are clean. It appears to be very convenient to the local tourist attractions as well (Right next door in the Antique car museum which is why we were there). Across the street is a delicious ice cream parlor which we went to twice! I probably wouldn't rely on breakfast though unless it was toast or muffins or something along those lines.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mrskramden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Only 1 mile from entrance to the park, it is a very good location. There are other chain hotel properties beside the hotel. The room was clean and bed very comfortable, which was a very pleasant surprise. The staff was always very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast area was small, crowded and food was not really to my liking but seemed to be comparable to most other properties I've stayed at before in this price range. A few disappointments were the keys not working upon check in which required a return trip with bags to the lobby. The staff accompanied us back up to ensure the keys would work. The skim milk in the container at breakfast was spoiled and I had to advise the attendant who quickly removed and replaced it. It was noisy with kids coming and going to rooms late then early in the morning. I wish I had gotten a better price but it was lower than the neighboring properties and not too bad of a value considering the good location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Apurplesquirrel
Warren
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The outside of the hotel was clean the day I checked in there was a conference for High School kids. They put me on the ground floor so I would be away from the noise but that didn't work. There was an odor and the pool area and weight room was musty with an unpleasant smell. I was there for the week for business and when I arrived the room didn't seem as clean as I would have expected. I found garbage in places that looked as if they were placed there on purpose and not found by hotel staff. The third day I came back to the room late after a long day and I just wanted to relax and the room was not cleaned. It was after 6pm and it was as if I just left it. There was no cleaning staff on duty and the after desk worker was kind enough to change the towels. I don’t believe the sheets had been changed the whole time I was there and there were many unhappy people yelling at the front desk people. I went to get something at the front desk and overheard someone getting a room on a Wednesday night, for one night with an empty hotel and they charged her $156 for a room. I wish I would have seen that room because that's not the one I stayed in. If it wasn’t for one or two of the desk workers I would be saying a lot more. Oh and don’t get excited about the hockey puck eggs that were still frozen in the middle, the rubber sausage and mess of hash crap that they microwave in the back room, it's not worth it. I also watch a young girl spit out the curdled milk they were serving. The only thing that seemed good were the waffles but those are hard to screw up when you take the ingredients out of the package and set them out. I was also advised by a fellow Colleague who was staying at the same place that the manager threw a fit and screamed at her when she tried to get the set rate we were told we would get. The manager is very unprofessional and had to understand when he is screaming.
I will be staying clear of this place when I return there are many other hotels in the area just reserve early and be picky.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if your looking for a deal and bring your own cleaning supplies.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Anthony C
ushmacpatel, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hershey, responded to this review, 22 April 2014

Property CHI
CM
717-583-5151

Travellers are raving about these Hershey hotels

Shawinigan, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stopped at your place for the 3rd time this year. It is very clean and the mattress was very confortable. On our way back to Florida we like to go to Hershey World. You accept the coupon and it is well appreciated. The breakfast is the best we had compared to all other motels.

Room Tip: If you want very quiet room, it's Wise to go on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Kind Regards,

Property CHI
CM
717-583-5151
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Came in after midnight after dropping my son at Hershey Lodge for a conference (too bad they didn't have a room available for me!) The maintenance man, who spoke very little English, was at the front desk and would not honor my travel coupon. ("The owner doesn't like to use coupons."...Then why allow your hotel to have a listing under travelcoupons?) He said we would settle the charge in the morning. The morning couldn't come soon enough. The body odor/mildew smell in my entire room, and most especially in the sheets, was disgusting and gave me the dry heaves the few hours I tried to sleep. I didn't want to even use the bathroom in the morning and left as soon as the sun came up. Tried to check out, but the same maintenance man said the owner was not around to decide what to charge me. Had to leave quickly, as I was getting ill just being in the lobby. Stay away!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Marilynn61
ushmacpatel, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hershey, responded to this review, 10 April 2014

CM Patel
Quality Inn & SUites
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My son & I enjoyed our 2 day stay at your hotel while we were visiting Hershey Chocolate World. We were in the two room king bedroom suite w jacuzzi, that was very relaxing for my bad back. It was everything we wanted. The lukewarm water @ the indoor pool was very nice just right for this time of year. Waffles for breakfast were great. The staff was very nice and friendly especially Luis was very helpful with answering any question I had. Would definitely stay here again. Was just what I expected & more.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy H
ushmacpatel, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hershey, responded to this review, 10 April 2014

CM Patel
Quality Inn & SUites
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here when attending a concert at the Giant Center in Hershey. It is about a 2 minute drive to the arena and about a 5 minute drive to Hershey Park. It is an excellent location! The room was large with a king bed. It was very clean! Bonus at this hotel is the free wifi and the free hot breakfast.

The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and welcoming! He provided great information on where we could find dinner that evening. It was a nice and clean place and we plan on returning for another stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank themadzins
ushmacpatel, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hershey, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Please come next year.