“Consider Staying Elsewhere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holicong
The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Holicong B&B and Inns
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Consider Staying Elsewhere”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Where do I start. I have such a hard time with leaving mediocre/average or poor reviews of businesses, especially local businesses in this economy. I am fair and honest and non-confrontational. I looked at some of the prior reviews and felt that some of the reviews left no longer apply to the Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm and feel like the staff/owners made efforts to improve previously stated negative/mediocre concerns in past reviews.

I have stayed at many Select Registries (as this is one on the Select Registry list/website). Select Registry has consistently been our go-to for locating top notch, luxurious vacation lodging. I also love Conde Nast. In addition to inns or bed and breakfasts I have also the chance to stay at some very nice hotels.

That being said, I feel like I have a good sampling base to go by when I go about my review for an inn that charged us $400/night (we stayed two nights and had dinner there, as well as breakfast both days) - dinner was extra and breakfast is included.

We were there for New Year's Eve so it was a very busy night the second night we stayed there. More specifically, we stayed in the Bagger On Horseback Suite

Pros:
The Breakfast: as everyone previously stated, was amazing. The food was great and the service was top-notch. My only negative is breakfast was the same two days in a row on a weekend. It didn't leave much to experience the second day.

The Staff: they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful when it came for suggestions of local attractions and spots.

This historical charm and decor. I liked the way they decorated and felt that the grounds were nicely maintained.

CONS:
The timing of the New Year's Eve Dinner - they gave us our toasting champagne glass and dessert at 10ish and when we finished said "you are free to go, if you want". I was expecting the dinner to be a celebration into the new year as I have experienced at other fine dinning establishments.

Our room was not a $400/night room. It was okay. But the bed (as previously noted in other reviews) was terrible. I honestly had a better night sleep on the couch rather than the king size bed (I ditched my husband to be more comfortable and closer to the bathroom). The whirlpool tub is nice but in a terrible location and very dark - they should either consider dimmer switch lighting or electric candles or something. Plus at the end of the New Year's Eve dinner I wanted to take a bath (my husband has no interest so it's not "TMI") but there was no hot water. The other annoying thing about our suite, specifically, was the bathroom was on the first floor and the bedroom on the second floor - for a 5 month pregnant person who gets up and uses the bathroom several times a night, this was really super annoying and I feel it is worth mentioning on the website.

Staff: the first night we did not get turndown service, I did not know that they did turn down service until the second night when they made up the bed and put cookies on the bed. At no point in our stay did they replenish the complimentary beverages in our fridge (I drank the sprite/root beer they had in their the first night), the did not replenish the toiletries either at turn-down or at any point during their daily housekeeping, they did not replace our towels. Nor do they give you two soaps so you need to wash your hands with the same soap you used in the shower. I feel like the staff should be consistent on turndown service (do it or don't do it but mention you are doing it - we didn't know they were going to do it and would have put away our laptop, camera, purse, etc).......and housekeeping should replenish towels, toiletries daily unless you specifically make it clear you are not doing that on a daily basis.

NOW THE BEST/WORST PART
The couple staying in the suite next to us.....well no wonder the girl was smoking a cigarette on her deck the next morning. 11:30 pm I hear squeaking bed and then "OH GOD! OH GOD! F*** YEAH...." then a variety of moans and words from the couple until 11:45. But it was in full on stereo, like we were in their room.
Then 2:15am rolls around (I am thinking geez louise these people are animals!) - I honestly do not care what people do in their room, I would like it to remain that way. Especially at a $400/night place. So 2:15 rolls around and I get the same parade of words (my husband was completely asleep in a wine-induced sleep - I can't drink wine or I would have been in the same coma)....UGH seriously could they put up insulation or a sound machine in our room....then SERIOUSLY it goes on again at 4:30 am - but at this point I am laying downstairs on the couch and I can still hear it, despite being on a different floor. Then again we heard it before breakfast around 8:45 am. Fine, I don't care if you are all busy people. I personally, was looking to sleep in and sleep well all weekend.

All in all, I was disappointed and would unlikely suggest anyone pay to stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room that is pet free, I read the book in the room where you can leave comme...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank TKlemens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife recently booked a surprise birthday party for me, with about fifty attendees, at this heavenly inn. It could not have been better....great hospitality, incredible food, perfect wines, beautiful rooms, etc. And the staff here, particularly Kristin Garcia and Fred Lyons, are true professionals. They delivered a great experience.

They even provided a separate room for our grandchildren who were cared for by a sitter and given their own dinner while the adults were dining.

The guests who stayed overnight all raved about the quality of the sleeping rooms and the fabulous breakfast.

This is a great spot in Bucks County near New Hope, PA.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
ny
Reviewed 24 September 2011

idyllically located, this picturesque farm is a manageable drive from New York City. The type of respite where one can just be, not "forced" to mingle with other guests.

The rooms are so delicately appointed - from a lost era. A step back to history, but updated with the conveniences that we all expect. This farm was once the home of the great literary George Kaufman - the grand history of this estate is authentic.

The morning breakfast is most definitely a treat and simply not to be missed! Every morning is like Christmas at Barley Sheaf with the most delicious complete breakfast, omelets, poached eggs, waffles, french toast ... all freshly made in the open kitchen by the executive chef. And baked goods that are simply out of this world! When there, dinner is also a must, just as scrumptious as breakfast.

Not to worry, the area is surprisingly full of activities; Peddlers Village during the holidays is just quaint, and there a plethora of superb dining options within driving distance.

And this is an operating farm, so say hello to the animals.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main manor house over look the grounds - spectacular regardless of the season. And...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband just threw me a weekend birthday party at the Barley Sheaf Inn and it was amazing! The staff really went out of their way, the food was incredible and our 18 guests all enjoyed the spacious suite accommodations. We discovered this place around 8 years ago as a great easy get-away from the NYC area. Less than 2 hours' drive is this beautiful romantic and peaceful inn with lovely grounds, rescued animals and a fantastic chef. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Easton, PA
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I just had my wedding at the gorgeous Barley Sheaf Inn last week and am still glowing. I had looked into having my wedding at another luxury inn in the Bucks County area but didn't like their attitude when I met with them for the first time. In contrast - everyone at the Barley Sheaf was friendly and accommodating throughout the entire process. They gave us a great deal on the rooms for the whole weekend (something the other inn was unwilling to do) and from start to finish - helped me plan a lovely event. The food was terrific, the rooms exquisite and their wedding planner, Fred, made sure everything went smoothly. Many of the guests told me afterwards that it was the best wedding they had ever been to.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mermaid5000
Garden State
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I actually did not end up staying at The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm, but did have high hopes to. My husband and I had just gotten married (in June) and the next day we were going to the Lambertville/New Hope area and were hoping to spend the evening overnight at a nearby bed and breakfast. I love B&B's so much-they just have a charm that you simply cannot find in a hotel. This place looked perfect...I was so excited about the possibility of staying here. We called up and the woman who answered the phone was quite possibly one of the rudest people that we have ever spoken to at a B&B! I had checked the availability online before calling the inn and was thrilled when the site showed that there was an available room. We preferred to book over the phone versus on the internet so when my husband called he asked about availability (we know that the internet reservation systems for lodgings are not always accurate and up to date). When he began to talk about the rooms/rates the woman couldn't have cared any less to be dealing with him. She seemed bothered, in fact, by our phone call. She said that she had someone else on the other line and actually had the gall to tell him that he can look at everything on their website!!! That is fine if she was in the middle of something at that moment-we are not of an impatient nature. The correct thing would have been for her to politely tell us that she would call us back momentarily and ask for a number that we could be reached at, and that then she would be more than happy to assist us. I have a few favorite choice B&B's of all time and although not every single inn that we stay at turns out to be a wonderful place I don't really ever recall anyone running one being so rude and indifferent. That just shows that The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm isn't the "full package"-that just because someone owns and runs a beautiful property doesn't mean that they care about their customers or potential ones, have manners, or the skill that it takes to be successful in this industry. From all of our stays at bed and breakfasts over the years my husband and I are insightful enough to know that the people who run these sort of establishments truly do "make the place". Although it killed me to stay at a hotel the evening after our wedding, in this case I was MORE THAN HAPPY TO support the hotel industry!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GardenStateSiggy
Goshen, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We recently stayed at the Inn for a wedding. We had a lovely room in one of the outbuildings. The hotel serves a delicious breakfast each morning and there is a reception in the evening with wine and cheese. The pool is large and very refreshing. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holicong
Homewood Suites by Hilton Doylestown
#2 of 2 in Lambertville
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy

Been to The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm? Share your experiences!