“One of Pittsburgh's Best”
Review of Tin Front Cafe - CLOSED

Tin Front Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Homestead's historic shopping district, the Tin Front Cafe is proud to serve its community and beyond with espresso, food celebrating local seasonal bounty, wifi access, and space for ideas and conversation to grow.
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The food is outstanding, the atmosphere is charming, the service is, usually, a bit awkward, which I find all the more endearing. The menu changes frequently to accommodate whatever local ingredients have been obtained that week and, seriously, is always outstanding. Oh, also: there's a little bar, so if you, say, want a bloody mary with your brunch, you can get one (with or without some kind of herb-infused vodka made in-house). I've been here for brunch and dinner many times and have never had a bad experience -- and the food has pleased whatever company I've brought along from vegans to vegetarians to meat-eaters alike. Great local business and I hope Pittsburghers and those visiting continue to support it!

PS- there's an awesome little kitchen store attached that's stocked with all manner of fabulous finds, if you're into that sort of thing :)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This small cafe could easily become a 4*, with little effort. Upon entering, a small buffet is obvious, on the bar area, containing wonderful greens and an in-house dressing, accompanied with other homemade delicacies. They have liquor and beer selections, and their own vodka flavors. Everything is fresh, but they haven't 'quite' mastered, flavoring food without meat. Service is slow, so go there to enjoy yourself, without being rushed. The owners are gracious and aim to please.

Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

A family owned Restaurant!! How awesome is that in this day & age?? Food & price is unbelievable here!! All entrees are vegetarian but great dishes even for the non vegetarian! There is also a nice wine list, full bar, and nice assortment of beers. The owners are the cooks, waiters, etc. & they are amazing. They make great recommendations & are really nice. The chocolate fondue is to die for!! It is also attached to an awesome little store that sells kitchen gadgets, nice gift items, etc. When the weather is nice you can sit out back which is really nice too. Inside the atmosphere is fare. Again, you have to go here, trust me, you will not be disappointed!

2  Thank eeshakitana
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is a vegetarian restaurant, but I'm not a vegetarian (my wife is). I don't remember the names of the meals we ordered yesterday, and the menu is now different. This is because the chef apparently bases the menu on the freshest food she can find, at farmers' markets when she can. But I can tell you that she makes magic with vegetables, grains, cheese, and spices. Judy, who spends her days running the totally cool adjacent cooking supply store, gave us outstanding service in the patio. She recommended a perfect wine for us. And the chocolate fondue? The chocolate was so good it was unreal.

Oh, and the price was about equal to ordinary food at a casual chain restaurant.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have seen this place before but wasn't really sure if it was something I wanted to try. Homestead has a lot of run down/vacant buildings and I never got the feeling that this was a place I wanted to be. Curiosity got the best of me and I am glad I gave this place a try!

I knew it was vegetarian but wouldn't have really thought about it after reviewing the lunch menu. The selection was great and all the dishes sounded wonderful. I read about their chili so I had to try that and was not disappointed. The serving was large and I ended up taking a large portion home since I also ordered a sandwich. I selected a black bean hummus sandwich that came with a salad. The salad was very nice and the dressing was a perfect mix of flavor and not too light or heavy. The bread for my sandwich was very fresh. My only disappointment was that the sandwich had lettuce and when the sandwich was grilled it turned yucky. I took it off and the sandwich was good without it.

We sat on the patio which was very pleasant but inside seemed nice as well.

I really want to go back for dinner after having a great lunch.