“Absolutely a FIVE STAR Bed & Breakfast”

James Manning House
Ranked #1 of 4 Honesdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I'm still not sure how I got so lucky to 'find' this wonderful B&B hidden away in the PA countryside. The James Manning House is a class act - impeccably clean, wonderfully comfortable and managed by two very gracious and friendly inn keepers. The Wayne room was top of the line in comfort - the bed - well hard to describe - soft and cozy while still offering good support. The large room was nicely appointed and the bathroom a fabulous surprise. Expecting perhaps a claw foot tub with hand held shower - I found a fully modern bathroom with a large spotless shower- the bonus - shampoo, conditioner and bath gel dispenser on the shower wall! The grounds of the Manning house beg to be explored - lovely flower gardens, cute pathways leading to an old barn and fabulous old shade trees. As if all of that is not enough...the breakfast offered in the morning was indeed also a 5 star affair. Baked oatmeal, yogurt/fruit parfait, peach coffee cake and endless cups of very good coffee.

Inn Keepers, Janet and Warren were warm, friendly, gracious hosts sharing information about the inn and the surrounding area. Warren provided several suggestions for dinner places and I chose Hotel Wayne - definitely a good choice for a casual 'burger and beer' with attentive service and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: The Wayne room was excellent - see comment section for details.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My wife, sister and I stayed here on a memory lane trip to see Honesdale once more. We read all the reviews for lodging in the area, and thought the James Manning sounded great, all posititve. We were not disappointed and found this B&B to be one of the best ones we have ever stayed at, and we do 12+ each year.. Everything was first-rate, from the decor to the mattresses, to the wonderful breakfast, and antiques, everything was wonderful. The investment that the hosts have made in time, money, love and creativity shows on every floor. We had a great chat with Warren and Janet about life in Honesdale and their antique hunting experiences and their careers as teachers. .Don't miss this B&B is you are in the area and it is worth driving out of your way if you are passing thru. Take a few minutes to see the gardens, they are terrific.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great, ours had the most beautiful Amish quilt on the sleigh bed. all are air cond...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My boyfriend and I try to find a B&B wherever we are traveling. Our stay at the James Manning House was the best experience we have ever had at a B&B. Everything was fabulous and perfect. The cleanest room. The comfiest bed. The most wonderful homemade "everything" for breakfast including homegrown ingredients from the garden. Janet and Warren were so friendly, hospitable and helpful. The morning after our stay at James Manning, I realized that I had left my pillow in our room (The Wayne Room ) and I called before 8:00AM. Janet answered and immediately confirmed that , indeed, they had my pillow! Since we were not that far away and the pillow I had left behind was an expensive down feather pillow, we decided to drive back to Bethany. When we arrived back at James Manning, we asked Janet and Warren if the local town bakery sold coffee since I had not yet had my coffee. They immediately offered us coffee and then proceeded to serve us an entire breakfast. We couldn't believe their kindness and when we offered to pay, they refused. Beside the fact that we were lucky enough to sample two homemade breakfasts, the place has every element that you would imagine for a "real" B&B. There was vintage and interesting decor in every room, modern facilities like air conditioning, a historic building and beautiful well-kept grounds and gardens. There was even a goldfish pond with a waterfall complete with fish and frogs! We may be traveling in the Honesdale area again next summer and we will definitely be making a reservation to return. If you get an opportunity to stay at The James Manning House, you are in for a real treat.

Room Tip: Any room would be great.
1  Thank Amadele
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We spent one night here before visiting our kids at camp nearby. Janet and Warren are excellent, down to earth hosts and we immediately felt at home. There are lots of knick-knacks decorating the rooms and it is amazing how clean it all was. Breakfast was very good and it was fun to sit at the same dining room table with the other guests and chat over blueberry pancakes. We will be staying here again when in the area.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Needed lodging in the area for a family function and chose this B&B after much research on the web, including TA (essential with B&B's since they vary so widely). It is actually in Bethany, PA, 5 minutes north of Honesdale. It was a scorching July weekend and I was delighted to find a nearly 200 year old home that had charm AND central air conditioning, not window a/c units. It was pleasantly decorated in the Pennsylvania Dutch motif. Perhaps a bit cluttered for some tastes but I was impressed by the fact that the "clutter" had been kept dust free, clearly a lot of labor that had not been neglected. I had the Lancaster Room, facing the (45 mph) street but there was very little traffic after dark, so that was not an issue. Tall 4-poster bed and linens were quite comfy and the large private bath, though immediately adjacent, was not directly connected, requiring a brief step into the hallway. They had a strategically placed screen in the hallway, as well as plush terry-cotton robes in the closet to eliminate any potential embarassment/exposure.
Breakfast was very good and included many freshly baked treats (off imits to me) as well as the usual eggs & breakfast meats. They remembered my specifications as a type-2 diabetic and had several items that conformed to my restrictions, which was much appreciated.
The grounds were well landscaped & flowered also showing an abundance of care for details. There is a small front porch with table & chairs where I enjoyed a fine cigar, adult beverage, and hardcover book in peace and privacy.
The hosts were pleasant and welcoming without being overly intrusive. They were making an 8 hour drive to a family event of their own the morning after my overnight which had me wondering how I would fare at breakfast but their son, who lived nearby, handled the transition seemlessly and efficiently. If you need luch or dinner nearby, the restaurant in the Hotel Wayne in Honesdale (aka Bistro 1202) is your best bet.
In summary it was a very pleasant stay and I would return, should I be back in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Lovely stay. Staff was lovely, and thoughtful, e.g. Toiletries in the bathoom if you'd forgotten anything. Our room was large and clean, with lots of homey touches. Breakfast was generously portioned and delicious. Other folks who had stayed there had been in other places on and around Honesdale and it much better than the other places they had stayed. Garden in the back is pretty for a stroll or lounging in the adirondack chairs. Better than staying in the local hotels.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Been to lots of B and Bs and I have to say this is one of the better ones. Greeted and shown around the house. We were the only ones staying there for our one night stay. Lots of drinks and food around the house to nibble on throughout the day/evening. Books, board games and TV available for use. Nice garden in backyard. Breakfast was plentiful and savory. Went out to dinner at Wayne Hotel. Food was decent and within 5 mile drive. In residential area so not much to do around immediate area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honesdale
Hotel Wayne
#4 of 7 in Hawley
The French Manor Inn and Spa
The French Manor Inn and Spa
#1 of 2 in South Sterling

Been to James Manning House? Share your experiences!