“Turn Back” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ponderosa Pines Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honesdale
Ponderosa Pines Campgrounds
“Turn Back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We came to Ponderosa Pines with medium expectations and they under-delivered. From the cigarette smoke-filled check-in/general store and awful, half broken arcade to the port-o-potty door slamming next to our camp site... Seriously? Amenities are substandard and are not maintained at all. Overall impression: they ain't even trying in there!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Partyof4s

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dingmans Ferry, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at Ponderosa Pines for three nights with 2 other families. Our lakefront sites were the best part of the trip. Spacious, grassy sites that are right on the lake and a awesome value with the package they offer. The view was nice and the fishing was great, but thats about where the fun ends.
The pool: is in DIRE need of repair, the concrete is uneven and broken, a huge tripping hazard for small children. There are BEES EVERYWHERE at the pool, my daughter tripped and hurt her self and my son was stung twice. The pool was in need of about 2 feet of water and was far from heated. It was freezing.
The Playground: Nice, newer structure, but again needs repair. There are spindles missing making it a fall hazard, the slide is no longer anchored to the ground and is cracked at the top.
Mini Golf: $2 per child to play on unmaintained falling apart holes. There was dead grass and pine needles covering the fake grass, and the structures were gagged. I removed 4 screws and an extension cord from one hole, that had been lying there since we checked in. And again.... BEES!!!! Huge hornets nest at hole 9, wasps in 4 others. Again my son was stung.
Activities: A schedule was at the desk so we took one, limited activities but some. My kids were interested in the 8pm hayride. We were at our site cleaning up dinner around 7:20 when the hayride came through. I stopped them and asked if the 8 pm ride was still on, and they said, due to lack of attendance for the 7pm Ice cream social, they are doing it now for those people since they showed up. I didn't realize that attendance was mandatory for all activities??? So my kids did not get to do the hayride since they thought it was ok to just forego it and not tell anyone. Insert crying children here. How hard would it have been to check back at 8 and see if anyone showed up for the activity!!
The employees: Teenagers. I asked if there was a maintenance person and a young teen told me it was him. Every time we ventured to the store area to use amenities, all the employees were sitting outside chatting, and some were smoking right near the entrance door. I had to walk through a cloud of smoke and navigate through a gathering of people to take 6 kids into the arcade, (also dark and run down)
This place could be really nice, the lake is great, its quiet and a true camping experience if they stopped talking and got to work. A little maintenance would go a long way, and make this campground safe and nice. As of right now I would return to fish and relax, but NEVER use the amenities since they are unsafe. Bees, fall hazards, tripping hazards... all easy fixes. When I checked in we were offered no information, no schedule of events, no rules, map... nothing. I had to take a map myself and ask for everything. Just poor customer service. Fran was nice, but I saw her once for 2 seconds upon check in. When I walked to the store to ask for ice after my son was stung on the mini golf course, I told the young girl there were bees at hole # 9. A young boy then said. "Thats funny cause there is a huge nest in hole 2 also." REALLY??????!!!!!! Then why didn't someone spray? Check it out? ANYTHING! Just not good business practices at this campground which I can imagine will have negative effects in the near future. Would be a shame because it could be a nice place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BR1413
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We have been seasonal for 3 years and we love the place we have 3 kids ages 2, 7, and 9. It's our second home the kids meet some many new friends that they look for every year. There is always something to do activies wise plus a play ground pool and lake to fish or rent a paddle or a row boat to go on. We alway brig friends and they are hooked and ask to come up again some even went out and got campers and tents to enjoy it like us. Thank you Fran and your family for being our family too.

• Stayed June 2013
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

As the title says, nothing exciting going on here. My family (wife, 2 children 4 & 5 years old) and another family of four (husband, wife, 9 year old, and a 2 year old.) We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. Campground is clean as other reviewers noted. Checked in at the office/store counter. I'm assuming the lady behind the counter was Fran, not very friendly. Was more interested in talking to the other patrons in the store and, she was very short with answers. Walked around to go into Cabin 3. Was told we would have a lake view. One window in the cabin which happen to be in the bedroom is not what I would consider a lake view. I personally wouldn't consider the big pond that they have a lake anyway. The cabin was clean though. It was spacious enough for the two families. The A/C works great. TV is supplied and it has Direct TV. You're camping, I don't think you need either of them. The cabin is supplied with the basics (silverware, plates, cups, bowls, mixing bowls, pots, pans, dish soap, sponge, broom, dust pan, garbage can.) There is a loft with a twin bed, 2 bedrooms (one-has 2 bunk beds and the other room has a full size bed) and there's a pull out sofa bed. Shower is on the small side and I'm not a big guy. The water heater works great (LP Gas), full size stove is also LP Gas, microwave. Did not come with a coffee maker, they sell it in the store in the morning. Outside the cabin. Fire pit, that's a joke. The fire pit is a rim from a car, if you get the right cabin you'll get a bigger fire pit. They have a regular grill that you could buy from the local wal-mart fro $15 and, not have to worry about cleaning what is provided or bring your own. Space between cabins is limited. You're allowed to have two cars at your site for a reason. The space behind your car is limited also, hopefully the people driving to the other cabins right next to you are paying attention and don't hit your car. In the rules that you are given upon check in. It says to not go into the woods behind your cabin and other places, our particular cabin has a run off from the sink into the woods behind us. You can hear the water running out as the sink is being used in the cabin. The "lake" is not that bad. No swimming. You can tell it's been stocked (catch and release.) You see plenty of fish, the bass are constantly jumping and eating the bugs at the surface. Bluegill/sunfish were biting on jigs and not on the night crawlers. The pond has a lot of water lilies. Docks on the pond, you need to think very small when they say dock. Paddle boat, row boat, and I think they had a canoe to rent. Mini golf is not free, they charge per person and the course is weathered and falling apart. My son actually hurt himself on a piece of wood by walking across the unused course. The playground is not bad either. My children liked it but, they are 4 and 5 years old. I didn't go into the laundry room or the bathrooms. I didn't use the port-o-potty either. The heated saltwater pool - the pool is nice sized but, far from being heated. The water is cold, the pond was warmer. There are plenty of chairs around the pool. I didn't go into the other areas of the camp ground out of consideration and trying to give the campers there privacy. Check out - we cleaned the cabin. I'm thinking that the cabins are left that way and hopefully the person who was in it before you left it clean. Once again Fran was more interested in speaking to the other patrons and was not giving me any feelings of sincerity when she said thanks for staying.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RicLongIsland_NY
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We arrived the weekend after Memorial Day. A group of 5 friends, 2 tents & two cars. We had to cancel our reservation up in Albany, NY due to bad weather and desperately wanted to go camping. My friend found Ponderosa Pines at the last minute. Upon arrival all was great, Fran is a doll and very helpful, she even helped get into town without getting lost. We had a great tent site (despite of how late we reserved) and had a fantastic time. We will return! Thanks Fran! The campground is impeccable, my friend and I were a little leary of having to use the port-a-potty and OMG! I must say that is the CLEANEST, FRESHEST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. They are all like that throughout the site. Go, have a great time, just keep in mind this is a campground, NOT the Waldorf Astoria. ;)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank rmilagros
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My wife and I and our two daughters stayed at Ponderosa Pines Campground over the Memorial Day weekend in 2012 and had a great time. We had rented a full service cabin with a full bathroom and kitchen. We also had a gas grill. We made smores and cooked out on the grill. The cabin was very comfortable. It was a good value for money and there was a requirement 3-night minimum for holidays. The campground is located in a remote area in Honesdale, PA off of Route 6 and Lake Wallenpaupack is not that far away. The campground has a closed wi-fi network and direct tv service in cabins. Fran, the owner was accomodating to us as well as the staff. There is a nice lake there for fishing. they also have paddle boats, canoes and row boats for rent. We took our daughters fishing for the first time and they loved it. Fran usually has organized activities such as horseshoe tournaments, fire truck rides and fishing derby and other fun things. Overall, we had a great experience except for a few minor problems. Our bathroom was not fully cleaned when we checked in and we needed to clean it properly before using it. We also had no direct tv service and they fixed one of the two tvs so that we could get direct tv. The one tv never got direct tv and we ended up getting a $ 50 credit for the incovenience from Fran. Fran went out of her way to rectify the situation and she felt very bad and upset about the lack of cleaniness of our bathroom. We also had some black ants in our cabin, but that is to be expected as we were in the woods. The camp store has many things to buy for camping if you forgot something. There is a Super Walmart in Honesdale. If you want to go to a mall for shopping, the nearest mall is the Viewpoint Mall in Scranton, which is about 45 minutes away. There is the Ray Shure N Save grocery store nearby to the campground. We would definitely go camping again. This was our first experience doing something like this. We have normally always stayed at hotels or motels. Claws & Paws Wild Animal Park is also nearby in Hamlin, PA, which is about 35-40 minutes from the campground. Remember your GPS as you will need it. It helps tremendously in getting around the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Frankford Twp, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

My extended family found Ponderosa Pines after realizing that the campground we had been visiting had shut down after more than 20 years in business. After reading several reviews I was wary about the trip because it was far out into PA and I was unsure of the service we would receive. Let me say that we were pleasantly surprised. The owner and staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming! This is a small campground and the sites are closer together. We did have both tents and pop-up trailers in sites 18-21. Some of the sites need leveling and there is NO grass all dirt and the ground is a little rocky, so air mattresses are a MUST. The sites we stayed in were in the woods full of, can you guess, pine trees, hence the name of the place, so it was colder with no sun exposure. These sites were also on a small mountain, so trips back up from the bathroom were uphill, however, there was A VERY CLEAN portable toilet very close, so no need to trek to the actual bathroom unless showering. As for the facilities, I would say they were clean, but it was a little crowded for showering with only 2 stalls in each. My husband had to wait one morning with all the showers and toilets full. However, you are camping, so I balked at his need to shower more than once during the long weekend. I didn't go into the store other than to check in, so I can't comment on what they serve there, however, I can say that their new lakeside cabins looked beautiful as was the lake that has catch and release fishing. The pool however was very murky and while there were children using it, I wouldn't have been that brave. It was Labor Day weekend and rather cold, so there wasn't an immediate need for it. There were a lot of activities for kids and a great playground. One night there was a hay ride and the next a fire truck. My family is a loud and rowdy group and we were very glad for the tolerance of the other campers as well as the staff! Not to mention that the cost was only $18 per person in a group of 20 with 4 sites, which I found EXTREMELY cheap! I would recommend this campground to others and had an overall excellent time!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family