“A Excellent Get Away”

The Inn at Westwynd Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hummelstown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was my first time at a B&B as well as my fiancé. The staff was excellent. As was the breakfast. Jane is an excellent cook. We used the INN as a base to see HERSHEY PA and go to Lancaster PA and AMISH COUNTRY. Plus Harrisburg.
All I know is we will be back.

Room Tip: The Inn has WIFI. But in our room it worked only the first night and morning. After that we had to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PTL1954

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful, peaceful enjoyable time at the Inn at Westwynd Farm. It was an easy two hour drive from the greater DC area. Once at the Inn you feel like you are in another world away from the every day rat race. You are well taken care of at the Inn from the wonderful snacks, complementary glass of wine and the great breakfast. The rooms are a good size, clean, tastefully decorated and the bed very comfortable. We spent the first afternoon sitting outside on the wrap around porch looking out on the meadow. We came here to relax and it was just perfect. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank victorialynn7
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I cannot express how wonderful this inn was. We travel quite a bit and took a chance staying in this B&B. When we arrived (two hours early before check in), we were welcomed by Mary one of the inn keepers helpers. She gave us a tour and brought us to our rooms. When I first walked through the threshold I said to myself "bingo"!
This Inn is on 32 acres. It is a horse farm with many horses, goats, cats and yellow labs. You are allowed to walk everywhere. We enjoyed walking through the barn and seeing all the horses, being followed by their two barn cats and Pete (one of the yellow labs). The barn hand was patient answering all questions and giving us stories of each of the horses we saw. We strolled through the fields and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the countryside.
Our rooms were very clean, and we had the room on the first floor which worried us at first wondering about the noise but it was very quiet.
Can't say enough about Carolyns breakfasts! You will dream about them when you get home. She puts out quite a spread. One afternoon we caught her purple handed, squeezing out the last drop of homemade grape juice. Everything is home made. Fresh scones, muffins, frittatas, French toast, stuffed tomatoes, sausage etc. delicious!
If you plan to bring small children to Hershey park it is a very short drive and they will enjoy the animals and property to run around in.
The front porch is wonderful to sit and enjoy your cocktail looking over the fields. Free beer and wine and soda in the downstairs fridge and always cookies and fruit on the table for you to enjoy. Coffee was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth K
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was a beautiful B&B with good service and beautiful rooms. We loved the downstairs that had wine and beer and soft drinks in the fridge along with too much candy! Have to expect that since it is so close to Hershey! We enjoyed watching the young people riding in the rings and loved the waterfall at the patio outside our room. Great recommendations on dinner, too!

Room Tip: We chose In Our Time which was a lower level king that had an outside entrance that opened onto a pa...
1  Thank KMikeB
Reviewed 4 September 2013

It's not often we can afford to stay in a bed and breakfast, nor a hotel with today's economy. I know, same old story about the economy, but it is true. So, we saved a little more from our every day expenses to stay at this out of the way B and B. Just drive 6 miles from the main highway. Those 6 miles are rolling hills and farmland, and trees, and we could feel the anticipation of being away from the noise. Pulling onto their entrance, which by the way, please be watchful as their sign is white, with black letters and can be missed if you are enjoying the views instead of watching for their sign, is a long, off the road entrance. Once you pull up front, you feel like you are at home. Big front porch, flowers, trees... We were greeted warmly and showed around this large 'family' home and our room, 'Serendipity', which was perfect for us. Our breakfasts were always a surprise, however, a little too rich. We could have had some waffles as shown on their ad and be just as content. A very pleasant and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms have the bath in the room. Some, you have to leave your bedroom to go to the b...
1  Thank RetiredTravelers61
westwynd, Owner at The Inn at Westwynd Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We did want to make one small correction -- all of our rooms do have their own private baths in the room. You do not have to leave your room for the bathroom.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed one night here on my way back from New England.
Beautiful property and home with terrific hosts. Made me feel right at home from the moment I stepped through the door.

Stayed in the Sea Gift room. How charming! Much bigger than it appeared in the photos and the paintings on the wall are awesome!

Lotsa "includes" like 24hr access to beverages, including beer & wine, and snacks.

My dietary needs to honored and the breakfast was scrumptious.

Quick, bucolic ride to Hershey/Hummelstown/Palmyra. Only 10mins +/- from I-81.
Excellent value.

Only recommendation I'd make is that the coffee be stronger, as it was a tad on the weak side for my taste.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HalDahl
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I came here Labor day weekend for a 2 night stay in the Killarney room. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this B & B for anyone staying in the Hershey/ Hummelstown area as we feel for the money it's an excellent choice compared to other overpriced lodging options.

Our room was well appointed, and the bed was extremely comfortable. This room is pretty private compared to other rooms as there are no adjacent rooms. This room is above the living room and we found out through friends that movement in our room could easily be heard by anyone sitting in the living room...from simply walking to other "activities." So be warned if you're considering this room.

As noted in other reviews the owners provide a communal refrigerator on the lower level for guests which is stocked with soda, water, some beer, and wine. Guests are also permitted to store food or drinks in the fridge as needed. Cookies, misc baked treats, and chocolate are available anytime on the dining room table. Breakfast was very good and we really liked that we could pick our time to eat anytime between 8-10am.

The location is great.....slightly off the beaten path but less than a 10 minute drive to Hershey Park and the surrounding area. We did venture into the barn and saw some of the animals...horses, cats, and dogs. The property is very peaceful and we generally felt very comfortable.

A few things we noted that prevented us from giving a "5" rating:

-the front exterior doors of the B & B are never locked or secured so essentially anyone could walk in. The area as a whole is rural and chances someone would come here to commit a crime are slim to none, but I think having a coded or secured front door would be better for peace of mind.
-upon our arrival we were met by Carolyn who gave us a tour that could best be described as hasty. She spoke so quickly that both my wife and I missed what she said at times. She moved through the house so quickly that we actually lost sight of her at times as we raced to keep up. We got the impression that we had interrupted her doing something and felt like she was inconvenienced by our arrival. Her husband Frank was sitting at a computer when we were shown the library area and he barely turned and said hi...he didn't get up to great us or shake our hands. This may actually explain his reaction to us the 2nd day during our stay when we walked in from an outing in the afternoon and he clearly didn't know who we were and asked if we were checking in.
-I called and spoke to Carolyn several weeks before our trip to request discounted tickets to Hershey park since their website said they had them available. She advised it wasn't a problem and she would have them ready for us at a cost of $35/ticket. This is $15 less than the standard price. Upon our arrival we were told they didn't have any tickets and that we could just go get them ourselves at a local grocery store. So we got directions and went to the store but the tickets they offered were $50. No discounted tickets!!! So we ended up having to pay $30 more for tickets. We were not happy about this.
-while walking up the wooden staircase I slipped and fell onto the steps due to an overhead air vent leaking water. The top three steps were absolutely soaked and water was puddled, but due to the wood grain and darkness of the staircase it was difficult to see the water unless you were actually looking for it. In the process of slipping I jerked my back which I had surgery on 10 months ago which didn't feel great. I immediately told the innkeepers about the water and was informed that this was an ongoing problem. We continued to see water on the steps throughout our stay (although it didn't seem as bad as when we first found it) and made sure to be careful not to slip, but never saw a warning sign for other guests or anything to keep the steps less slippery.

I hate to make the above complaints about this beautiful inn. It really is very nice. We're very easy-going people and rarely complain about places, but felt the issues we had deserved mentioning. We were told by other guests that the owners had just returned from vacation which may explain some of the issues we encountered.

2  Thank IKE317
westwynd, Owner at The Inn at Westwynd Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review about your experience with us.
We are glad you enjoyed the location and the amenities we offered.
I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Because the inn is designed with so many French doors and full length windows on the first floor, we have chosen not to place coded locks on the doors. We have thought this might make entrance easier for guests when they return their various activities throughout the day and also not affect their access to the porches and patios. Of course, the bedroom doors are secured with both a key lock and dead bolt and safes are provided in every room for valuables. However, we will definitely keep your comments in mind.
I am so sorry your tour of the inn felt hurried, our guests are definitely our priority and I was unaware that I moving too quickly. I try to give guests an overview of where things are without delaying them from getting settled in their rooms and I do get concerned about it taking too long when they are weary from traveling. I will definitely make a note to slow down. Frank was in the middle of solving a quite thorny problem with our guest computer when you arrived and was probably a bit distracted. It is of the utmost importance to us that our guests feel welcome. We very much appreciate your sharing your feelings.
I generally buy the Hershey tickets for my guests at the Giant Store and they had been offering the $15 discount -- evidently up until last week. I was unaware that they had raised their prices but I will definitely be sending you a check for the difference. Our practice is to purchase the tickets when guests order them since they are non-returnable. I must have misunderstood your request and I apologize for not having the tickets here for you.
As for the leak, it is not a constant problem but one that occurred before despite numerous battles with the air conditioning repair company and ongoing promises that it would never happen again. We can never predict when it will happen but this is at least the third time so when I said I knew what it was, it was because it had happened before (not that it happened all the time). You can be sure the repair company once again had to deal with a very, very irate customer. Frank tried to do a temporary fix while we waited for the repair folks to appear. Due to their holiday staffing they did not arrive until after you had left. I know even with Frank’s repair, there was some residual water that we tried to mop up every time it appeared. We do recognize the safety issue involved and I am actively looking for another company.
We want to provide all of our guests with an extraordinary experience and we are very grateful that you have taken the time to share your concerns with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hummelstown
Courtyard Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey Near The Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey
Hilton Garden Inn Hershey
Hilton Garden Inn Hershey
#2 of 4 in Hummelstown
Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey

Been to The Inn at Westwynd Farm? Share your experiences!