“Interesting and worthwhile”

Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Huntingdon
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Interesting and worthwhile”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Lincoln Caverns was a neat experience. Upon arrival, you can purchase admission to the cave/guided tour. Tours leave regularly so you won't wait long. Adult tickets were around $14. Children 4-12 were half that (or about the same price for a combo ticket). My 3 year old got in free. The combo ticket includes panning for gems. My kids loved panning for gems, I'd recommend purchasing it. After the tour of the cave, you are given a bag of "dirt" (it's not luck, your kids will find the gems/minerals inside). Our cave guide was Ariel. She was incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and great with kids. The caverns can be a tiny-bit dangerous. There are steep steps, narrow passageways and wet walkways. There are also handrails and it is well-lit. Our guide also let us know where we should duck and warned us of spots that were especially slick or steep. You shouldn't let safety concerns stop you from visiting unless you are accompanied by someone who is quite elderly or unfit. There were no incidents during my visit and I imagine very few people ever get hurt. Traversing the cave is a very slow process.

It was fun, memorable and a good way to spend the afternoon. I learned some terminology, a little about bats and the history of the attraction. The price will keep me away for a bit, but once you've seen it--you've seen it, there isn't much appeal to return soon anyway.

If you're visiting the area, I'd recommend travelling 30-40 minutes to Trough Creek afterwards to fill-out a "natural-wonder" day.

Visited July 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

orangebattyann, Owner at Lincoln Caverns and Whisper Rocks, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Lincoln Caverns & Whisper Rocks! We appreciate your kind words and are so glad you enjoyed your visit. Caverns, being naturally formed, are not always the easiest to walk through, but we take special care that our visitors are able to visit safely and enjoy themselves at the same time. Stop by and see us again soon!

Smyrna
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Small caverns bad service”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Went on Sunday morning after reading from their website about their schedule. Arrived with group of 6 at 925am. We were the only ones there. Bought our tickets and went out to pan for minerals.

The sifting pans weren't obviously placed but we found them. Afterward we went back to the gift shop were we waited.

We went into the cave at 9:50 through a door which we were told to close and lock behind us. We did. The cave was small with a few nice formations. The tour guide was good.

After the first half my son, 4 and I went in to the shop as it probably was too much for a boy that young. He wanted a toy, but the store has a limit on card sales of $10.00 (generally credit card companies prohibit this). I certainly did not want to spend that much on a toy and declined. The boy went nuts and the staff asked why to which I explained.

You would think the staff would be willing to accept a sale as we were the only customers to arrive but they did not.

Sorry to see this type of disregard for service in a family geared business. I would not be able to recommend to others.

Visited July 2014
orangebattyann, Front Office Manager at Lincoln Caverns and Whisper Rocks, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I am so sorry that you were treated badly on Sunday morning. I am the owner (third generation) of our small family owned business. We are extremely proud of our two caverns, although PA caverns in general are not 'large,' many are beautiful and all have a fascinating story to tell. I'm sorry you did not see Whisper Rocks, as it is truly the prettier (and more pristine) of the two caverns.
It sounds like the main problem with the visit was the Credit Card policy, which is clearly posted on each of our registers. This is certainly legal and necessary, due to the high costs charged by credit card companies.We would never be able to afford to take cards for such small amounts, but be assured, if the fees did not prohibit this, we would be happy to take them.
Again, please accept my apologies. Your comments are truly appreciated and will be discussed with our staff, as our goal is to meet or exceed the expectations of each and every one of our visitors.
Clearfield, Pennsylvania
“Unique visit”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I were on our way home from vacationing in Gettysburg pa we saw the sign and decided to stop and visit.
We Loved our tour guide Monica she was very knowledgeable of the cave . We highly recommend people to visit this beautiful and awesome cave.. We will def visit again
ThankYou for a awesome experience
The Kula's. Ken and Tanya

Visited June 2014
orangebattyann, Owner at Lincoln Caverns and Whisper Rocks, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing Lincoln Caverns and for taking the time to review! We appreciate your kind words, so glad you enjoyed the caverns and Monica. She was one of my Girl Scouts, so I am extra proud of her and the job she is doing for us! Stop back soon!
3 attraction reviews
“Love it!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We went on the Fourth Of July. With very young kids 7, 3, 2, and 3week old... Jen, was our tour guide she was very knowledgeable n she calm our son down bc he started crying cus it was dark by the end of the tour she was holding our son hand n giving the tour lol... called him her lil buddy... it was great we had a small group so it was excellent. The kids did the mining for gems got them two bags n that was a lot they loved it... thank you guys and Jen. We will see you again next year.

orangebattyann, Owner at Lincoln Caverns and Whisper Rocks, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
I remember your family well, especially your adorable children. It is groups like yours that make our job special and memorable. I will pass your kind remarks onto Jennifer, as I know she truly enjoyed sharing our caves with you and meeting your family. Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience. Stop back and see us anytime!
“Exciting”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We loved it. From the children to the adults. Will go back. The cave was very I interesting. The guide answered question and was knowledgable about how it was found and how the smaller one was also.

Visited June 2014
We truly appreciate your visit and your taking time to write a review! Each and every day we enjoy sharing the beauty and story of our caves with our guests. We are particularly proud of the serene splendor of Whisper Rocks. So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you.