“Great Place to Stay!”

The Mill Stone Manor Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the mill stone manor for a weekend to go fishing. I love that the hotel is pet friendly (only certain rooms), our dog Mya loved the hotel more than we did. Overall it is very very clean and comfortable! We will for sure be making more trips back in the future. The hotel staff and receptionists were also kind and friendly. Plus you cannot beat the price!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarabush

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed here this past July and again last week (October 2012). I read some of the other reviews...I'm not sure if they were old reviews, or if they just had bad luck, but this was a much better choice than some of the others in the area. This hotel smelled GREAT compared to the Comfort Inn (and cost a lot less). It wasn't anywhere near as nice as the Fairfield, but since that is a brand new hotel and cost more than twice as much for a single room, that's to be expected. I slept well and didn't notice the trains, even without using the ear plugs. The Wi-Fi coverage was spotty in my room, but great in the hall outside my door (I was in the corner furthest away from that Access Point). I am hopeful that this will change soon, as I gave them some pointers on how they could improve the coverage for the hotel at no cost.
In Summary, I would definitely stay there again. It is not close to a 5-star hotel, and is not the nicest one in the area, but I have stayed at a number of the hotels here and this is the only one I have chosen to stay at twice.

Room Tip: The two-room suite in the front of the hotel is nice, and a great value for $69.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We have been staying in this area for over 20 years for our anual golf trip. The Mill Stone Manor is centrally located for the golf courses that we play.
It is also close to TOPS Dinner (great for breakfast) and Hosses (great for dinner).

We have stayed here when it was under other ownership and the property has improved each year that the new people are here.

I am a railroad fan so the train whistles over night don't bother me. Ear plugs are provided for those who are not fans.

The price was very reasonable and the room was a good value.

I will stay here next year.

This is the first year with a flat screen TV and a flock of TV statios.

I couldn't get the free Internet to work; but, my PC has some strict corporate firewalls and security.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor if you are elderly like me.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one evening this week. I don't thing I could have handled another night.
The main problem with the hotel was the mildew smell. I smelled it at the front desk area, but the smell was even stronger in our room. Even though it wasn't hot, I put on the air conditioning, hoping it would circulate the air and dissipate the smell. It didn't. Even the next evening, my clothing smelled like the mildewy hotel room. The room itself looked very clean, and it was clear they must have recently remodelled the place. But this could not overcome the STRONG smell that was coming from somewhere.
Then, there were the trains going by, all through the night, blowing their whistles. We wondered why there were earpulgs provided when we checked in. It didn't take us long to figure out why.
This hotel could also use a new morning front desk clerk. She wasn't actually at the front desk when we came in for the complimentary breakfast. Instead she was wrapped in a blanket watching TV. She totally ignored us, not saying a word, as she continued to watch TV. The front desk clerk when we checked in the previous night, however, was very polite.
The complimentary breakfast wasn't much of a breakfast. There was only regular coffee (no decaf) and while there were tea bags, there was no hot water. Perhaps it was the job of the blanket-wrapped front desk clerk to make the coffee and water? We ended up going somewhere else for breakfast.
We stayed here because all the other hotels in the State College area were booked for the evening. I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa52164
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I’ve stayed at this motel a few times in the past, but that was before I joined the Tripadvisor community, so I won’t comment on those experiences. However, I recently stayed in Early August and was presently surprised by the changes. I read on the motel’s webpage that they were doing remodeling to the rooms, and they sure did. My room was nice, clean, and had no smell whatsoever. The bathroom is a bit on the small side (shower only, no tub), and there was no micro/fridge....at least not in my room. The air conditioner is not one that you would find mounted near the floor under the window. Mine was clear across the room from the entrance and mounted on the wall. Also, it’s important to note too that the controls for it are on a separate remote control, not the unit itself. But, it appeared new and worked well.

Although the staff in the office are extremely friendly, there is no staff after midnight, and even though a number is provided to call, I’m personally not comfortable with that kind of policy. Oh, and if you want ice, there is no ice machine, but individually bagged chunks of ice are available in the office. But, remember only until midnight.

The wireless internet was okay, but I kept experiencing signal loss, which can make offering such an amenity worthless.

Like other members have commented, there is a very active railway across the street, and even though the motel provides complimentary ear plugs the noise from the trains can be annoying, regardless.

As the title of my review suggests, I would only recommend this property if others in town are full.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

The rooms are clean, smell fresh (I don't know what the other reviewer smelled but I smell no smoke ) and look like they have been recently remodeled. I stayed here the night before a fishing trip and the lady on the office was beyond nice, recommending a great local place to eat. The room rates were very reasonable.and had great Direct TV service. Stay here and enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed here for 3 days during the Fathers' Day weekend in June, 2011. Figured it was a little strange to find 2 pair of earplugs on the nightstand. If you are a light sleeper you will find out why they are provided. A train track is located across the street from the motel, and long coal-carrying trains are rumbling by every 1/2 hour or so. The rumbling isn't as disturbing as the fact that the "whistle board" is located directly in front of the motel. This signals the engineer to blow the horn. So, every train is obligated to sound its horn a number of times as it approaches a grade crossing nearby. An attached restaurant to the motel is closed, but a good diner is located a short walk away. The facility is clean, wi-fi works well and tv reception is clear, but if you have trouble sleeping this is not the place to be.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Comfort Inn Huntingdon
#11 of 15 in Altoona
The Inn at Solvang
The Inn at Solvang
#2 of 3 in Huntingdon

Been to The Mill Stone Manor Motel? Share your experiences!