The Mill Stone Manor Motel
Comfort Inn Huntingdon(Huntingdon)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$89
ComfortInn
US$144
US$122
Fairfield Inn
US$143
Huntingdon Motor Inn(Huntingdon)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$132
TripAdvisor
Comfort Suites Altoona(Altoona)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$61
US$57
  • Free Internet
US$79
All reviewsgreat place to stayin townpenn statejuniata collegehintcompetitionweekends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Now, don't get me wrong here, this is in no way a luxury, 5 star hotel. That being said, though, this place is unbeatable for the price. (I should mention that I stayed here the summer of 2013 for 4 days during the Creation NE festival in a mini suite room).

Very rarely do I write reviews for hotels (or anything for that matter), but seeing as this hotel seems to be disgusted by so many, I thought I needed to write a review addressing all the complaints.

~The smell:
Honestly, I did not smell a thing when I arrived at the hotel. Yes, indeed, the staff do seem to smoke an ungodly amount, but no room that I was in had the slightest hint of smoke smell. The mildew smell mentioned by some also was not apparent during my trip, this may have just been during a certain time period as some mentioned they may have been remodeling. Again, I should mention here that the suites are located in what seems to be an addition to the hotel, so that may be the reason no smell was present. That being said, however, it is attached to the rest of the hotel and I had walked through many portions of the hotel and did not smell anything.

~The staff:
Okay, here is part of why this hotel did not get 5 stars from me. No, the staff is not the friendliest group of people ever. (With the exception of the night receptionist who was present during my stay. She was quite the sweetheart, though I did not catch her name to applaud her on her kindness). However, they are also not "mean" people. No, they do not seem enthused that you are staying at the hotel, nor were they "smiley" people. They were still willing to help us with a room issue and answer other questions we had.

~The dreaded train:
Okay, honestly, I am not the lightest of sleepers, so the train may not have bothered me much anyway, BUT IT WAS NOT THAT LOUD. Firstly, the train very rarely passed (maybe 3-4 times during my 4 day stay, and only one of those was at night). Secondly, the train is not very loud at all, I barely heard it over the TV one day as it passed. Again it should be mentioned that I was at Creation festival during my stay at this hotel (for those who do not know, creation festival is essentially a 4 day long concert) so my hearing may not have been at 100%.If you are a very light sleeper, yes it may bother you, but to my knowledge, it only comes through maybe 1-2 times a day; sometimes at night, sometimes not. I should also mention that in the second room of the suite, the room closer to the train I might add, were the two lighter sleepers of the group and they did not report waking up at all due to the train.

~Cleanliness:
When I first booked this hotel, it seemed too good to be true and I was incredibly skeptical, waiting to find a dirty, smelly room that I just blew over 100 bucks on. I had never been so happy to be wrong. When I walked into the room I was thoroughly surprised at how clean it seemed, though I was still skeptical of the bed/linens and the bathroom. Again, to my surprise, the bed/linens were quite nice, having no "used" smell on them. The bathroom, though, did lack just the smallest bit. Everything was clean and fine (though I should say I always pack my own towel/washcloth as I find using someone elses, no matter how clean it may be, disgusting), the only exception being the shower. Now it was in no way dirty, in fact you could tell it had been cleaned recently, but there was just the slightest bit of brown on the floor of the shower. You know, just that faint brown tint that just doesn't come out of the gripping of your shower/tub no matter how hard you scrub. Heck, my shower/tub at home has it. It isn't the same at a hotel though, it freaks me out. Though I don't doubt the shower was clean, and that someone did indeed scrub that gripping, I still had to wear flip-flops into the shower; but I do that at any shower that is not my own anyway. Upside of the shower, though, the water gets hot very fast and is VERY HOT, but is adjustable, so no big deal.

Pros:
~GREAT PRICE, this hotel is honestly the best bang for your buck in the area.
~TV with plenty of channels, not just the 10 basic, local cable channels most hotels have.
~Significantly cleaner than expected. No smell. No dirt.
~Suite comes with microwave and mini-fridge no need to ask (not sure about regular rooms but from what I can tell all the suites come with them, no extra charge.)
~Good amount of food places within less than a mile.
~Personal Air-conditioner/heater units. Each room can set their own temperature, even each individual room of the suite. (They work great by the way)
~Nice rooms, neatly kept with decent furnishings, including a desk which was nice.

Cons:
~The "continental breakfast" is indeed lacking, but hey, a free bagel is better than nothing.
~WIFI DID NOT REACH ROOM! This is the main reason this hotel did not receive 5 stars. It was clear that the other rooms had Wifi, but it seems as though the "suites wing" of the hotel did not have Wifi. It was not a huge deal as one could walk outside or to a lounge and get the Wifi, but it was still irritating and I am greatly hoping they fix it soon.
~Staff is not friendliest around, but not terrible either.
~Bathroom didn't come with hand soap. Not a huge deal, it came with body soap for the shower so we used that instead. Though, I'm stumped as to why they would have body and face soap but no hand soap.
~"Mini"-suite held up to its name while one of the rooms was fairly small.

Overall, this was a great hotel. It made my trip much better as I did not have to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a nice room. It is well kept and will certainly be my choice for an economical room when I return to Huntington.

Room Tip: I would definitely go for the suites. They are nice for multiple people as it has two private rooms, and are in their own wing of the hotel. They also come with a fridge and microwave, no charge. Of course if you need Wifi I would check to see if they have fixed the problem of it not reaching to the suite side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Seth F
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

It's not a chain but is that such a bad thing? I don't think so! The room is clean and the front desk woman was very helpful, even coming to the room to help me figure out why I couldn't get the remote to work. Great price and it's right near Miller's Diner. The next time we're visiting Juniata College, we'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here in October when my usual hotel was booked. The rooms were a pleasant surprize. They appear to be newly renovated. The bathroom was not opulent but it was clean and newly done as was the carpet in the room. The room was well heated and the bed was comfortable. Nice big TV with many channels. This is a small independent hotel and not a chain and clearly they have tried hard to make the spacious rooms look pleasant. . There was no pad and pen by the phone, but they did supply earpluigs! The hotel is on a fairly busy road, and close to a freight line. You will hear the trains honking through the night, which I found annoying but somewhat manageable in terms of noise. If you are a heavy sleeper you may find this ok. The hotel is next to a car museum and a few hundred feet from a local diner, Tops, which is very handy. On the other side is a cute florist/ gift shop. The ride to the main town of Huntingdon takes about 5 minutes. This hotel has parking for boats and RV's. In addition, it advertises itself as having a limited number of dog friendly rooms...but ask about this in advance of booking. I did hear one dog barking a small bit, they were several rooms away and this was not an issue for me. This place is about 25 to 30 minutes from the Raystown Lake Marina, a local attraction. I am not overly fond of rooms which open directly to the outside as these do, but that is a minor quibble. They also advertise a workout room, but I never ventured in to check it out. Again, ask about the facility first if this is an issue for you. I personally prefer a hotel a bit closer to town but the price here was very reasonable and they sometimes run weekday price specials, so ask about any available discounts when you book. Overall, surprizingly ok for the money and I would not mind staying here again. Any staff I met was extremely nice and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room .
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our first time staying at Mill Stone Manor Motel! Our room was neat, clean and smelled great .For a non chain hotel it was just as great and the price was cheaper! Close to a lot of area sights to see. Friendly and helpful staff. Will stay again!!!! THANKS:)

Room Tip: Stayed in a single room on second floor, it was quiet, even with the window opened.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

i'll be honest if this place had a new manger it might be better.. .the lady seems okay to your face but i over heard her saying how annoying this one couple was that had just checked in and went to there room, makes me wonder what she said about me. she always had a smoke in her hand. when i first saw her i thought the rooms would be as dirty has she look but to my surprise they are reasonable.. there was a slight layer of dust behind the tv. never staying here again, unless a new manger is hired.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo