“AVOID! TERRIBLE!!!”

Ranked #51 of 305 Hotels in Jinghong
Hong Kong, China
“AVOID! TERRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I'm rarely this critical but this place was awful. I only stayed one night before I checked out. I even tried to go to another hotel but as it was Chinese New Year and late in the evening I was unable to get another hotel.

CONS:
- DIRTY! This place should be closed down. I've stayed in a lot of horrible hotels but this ranks as one of the worst. Mould all over the bathroom, curtains, walls etc (I even changed rooms but it was just as bad)
- No hot water - left the water running for over 30mins and it wasn't even lukewarm. When I complained, I was told to leave the water running as the heater was far away...it never came close to being warm!
- Room - small and dirty. I slept on top of the bed and due to the two above points didn't have a shower!
- Internet/Wifi - NOPE.
- Facilities: don't let the pretty swimming pool picture trick you (like it did with me!). I'm not sure when those pics were taken but it looked like the pool has not been used in a very long time!

PROS:
- Admittedly, the location is good and the staff were genuinely quite nice and friendly.

If the owner knocked this place down, invested in rebuilding a new complex, they would be on a winner as it is pretty central and the palm trees make the place look exotic. Unless this happens, go somewhere else.

Recommendation:
- HomeInn (RuJia Hotel) off Mengla Road (500m from Golden Banna). I paid above the odds (RMB 536/ngt) as it was Chinese New Year - normal price RMB 88/ngt! This particular hotel is part of a national chain (like Tune Hotels) and this one was opened 2-3mths ago. Clean, decent location, great wifi, 24hrs hot water, professional staff. I would give this 4stars despite paying such a high price. Only negative is the noise from other guests - especially screaming little spoilt Chinese kids!

- Note I was provided a nearby hotel as a replacement to Golden Banna - no English name but Chinese pinyin is Zhong Da Nan Hotel about 500m down the same road (Mengla Road) - AVOID. Look at my review of Embark Hotel, further away from the centre but a real hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mokkey8

England/China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Really shabby room (reportedly there are better ones available sometimes) and pool closed, but nice grounds. Breakfast sucked (worse than typical Chinese brekkie, which means terrifyingly bad!)

Despite the poor room facilities and truly awful breakfast, we had a good stay because our room opened directly onto the lawn- something highly valued if you are coming from a small appt in downtown Shanghai like us.

Overall, if you value access to a nice garden over a quality room, then it is ok. However, I recommend wandering over the road to the Crown hotel opposite- MUCH better!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

This is a centrally located motel style accommodation in Jinghong city. It is opposite a night market where local gems, jewellery and handicrafts are sold along the street. It is about 20 minutes taxi ride from the airport, and less than 10 minutes walk from several cafes that serve a range of Chinese and Western foods (Mei Mei and Mekhong Cafe).

I arrived at 11pm and not speaking Chinese there was noone at the concierge who spoke English. There is no wi-fi so I had to go to the business centre to borrow an ethernet cable to get onto skype and call my friend who was in his room to come and help me. Thereafter I had to have every request to the service staff translated except for one lady in the restaurant who had basic English skills.

The rooms are basic but kept clean and tidy and stocked with bottles of water. Hot water doesn't work in the morning. Air-con worked fine. There is internet access in the room via ethernet cable. The key card to open the door failed several times after I had left the room and tried to get back in, thus requiring finding house-keeping and using hand signals to get help! Rooms are quiet and sleep was good except that the mattress was a bit hard.

The restaurant serves a range of Chinese breakfast foods and the boiled noodles were good. There is also a basic Western breakfast with eggs, sausages, bacon and coffee.

There is a nice pool that appears to be kept clean and is well used by guests in the late afternoon and early evening.

I organized a workshop here and the meeting room we were put in worked well for our 25 participants. The lunch was very good with a range of Chinese dishes and we ended up not being able to eat all the food arranged for our group.

In summary a good facility for a meeting/conference and probably also decent place to stay for a few days if touring Xishuangbanna although there may be smaller more friendly guesthouses and small hotels nearby. Make sure you come with someone who speaks Chinese.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Showing its age, this centrally located hotel seems to be replaced by newer, better hotels.
But the swimming pool isn't too bad:
outside, 15y fee, very basic changing room for one person at a time, two or three staff at the shop.
The pool is 1.6m at deepest, and good for swimming laps.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

We were arriving in Jinghong after a long day in the bus from Kunming so wanted somewhere booked in advance. Using elong. the Golden Banna seemed the best option at a lowish price - around 190 Rmb.

The place is big, but low rise - rooms are in 2 or 3 storey blocks dotted around the hotel. Maybe we got one of the blocks that was still to be renovated, but we had lots of mold in the bathroom, and old decaying furniture in the bedroom. There was plenty of hot water, and the TV works, but for Internet you need to pay extra and be in a better room. Overall, the room is like you get in a pretty poor standard Chinese hotel - you get used to them when travelling around China. At reception, not much English was spoken to me, but there are staff around with very good English.

The best thing was breakfast which was included in the rate. You can choose western or Chinese - we had one of each. For those with a western breakfast, you are given a special table with settings, while for Chinese it is buffet style. For western you can get to choose - eggs, bacon or sausage, coffee o tea etc, and all is freshly made. Also, for some reason western breakfast is until 10 am, while Chinese stops at 930! The western breakfast certainly gets very good service - several waiters hovering need us and refills of good coffee. The Chinese breakfast, while an extensive buffet, tasted quite bland - I tried the watery congee and it was not so good.

So, breakfast excellent, but did not make up for the room. We moved out to the Manytrees Youth hostel for a better room with friendly service for less than half the price. If the YH is not for you, I think you need to pay more to get a good room in Jinghong.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple