I'm rarely this critical but this place was awful. I only stayed one night before I checked out. I even tried to go to another hotel but as it was Chinese New Year and late in the evening I was unable to get another hotel.
- DIRTY! This place should be closed down. I've stayed in a lot of horrible hotels but this ranks as one of the worst. Mould all over the bathroom, curtains, walls etc (I even changed rooms but it was just as bad)
- No hot water - left the water running for over 30mins and it wasn't even lukewarm. When I complained, I was told to leave the water running as the heater was far away...it never came close to being warm!
- Room - small and dirty. I slept on top of the bed and due to the two above points didn't have a shower!
- Internet/Wifi - NOPE.
- Facilities: don't let the pretty swimming pool picture trick you (like it did with me!). I'm not sure when those pics were taken but it looked like the pool has not been used in a very long time!
- Admittedly, the location is good and the staff were genuinely quite nice and friendly.
If the owner knocked this place down, invested in rebuilding a new complex, they would be on a winner as it is pretty central and the palm trees make the place look exotic. Unless this happens, go somewhere else.
- HomeInn (RuJia Hotel) off Mengla Road (500m from Golden Banna). I paid above the odds (RMB 536/ngt) as it was Chinese New Year - normal price RMB 88/ngt! This particular hotel is part of a national chain (like Tune Hotels) and this one was opened 2-3mths ago. Clean, decent location, great wifi, 24hrs hot water, professional staff. I would give this 4stars despite paying such a high price. Only negative is the noise from other guests - especially screaming little spoilt Chinese kids!
- Note I was provided a nearby hotel as a replacement to Golden Banna - no English name but Chinese pinyin is Zhong Da Nan Hotel about 500m down the same road (Mengla Road) - AVOID. Look at my review of Embark Hotel, further away from the centre but a real hotel.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Banna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.