All reviews bruschetta this place is amazing surf beach playa maderas smoothies pools hill comfort sunset amenities vibe surfers sleep nicaragua hostel beaches
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Well let me start saying my husband and I thought this was a great place to stay because of the reviews, big mistake actually I don't have any complaints about the food which I think was good but I do about the accommodations, first water from shower, sync, toilet had a terrible smell that we couldn't take a shower while we stay thanks god it was for a night only then at the check out time they told us they didn't take cards but cash only ? That's something you should tell customers before they arrived since hotel is 30 minutes away from any ATM...and I never had the chance to talk with the owner but when I left my review on *booking * about this things that I consider important his response was super rude and inconsiderate besides he even said that nicas (which we proudly are) don't appreciate other thing than granada and Managua which is a Total lie since a lot of nicas me include it have travel the world and seen many many things! Well for me this became offensive and disparaging toward Nicaraguan people. I'm attaching the screenshots from the review. We all deserve same respect as nicas have accept and include many people from different countries and this person as an little hotel owner cannot forget the people who lives here are actual owners of this land and culture.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica C
josuetomaste, Owner at Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Jessica ...
That you are still writing reviews of Arte-Sano close to a year after you stayed with us really lets us know you are quite a personality. We regret that the water heater in your room failed for the one night you stayed with us. We are co-owned by my wife, a Nicaraguan, so I would say it is a bit far fetched to say that we dislike Nicaraguans. Anyone can get Gallo Pinto (rice & beans) at any bar or restaurant in San Juan. We are trying to offer healthy food to healthy people. As I mentioned before....I feel Arte-Sano just wasn't a good fit for you. Also...if you do your research next time...maybe you would have known Playa maderas is 8km from San Juan where it appears you wanted to be. Thanks for continuing to be a thorn in our side and keep up with the bad reviews. Most people think Arte-Sano is one the best things to happen in SJDS.

Best,
Josh

Reviewed 6 August 2017

We stopped by on a recent visit to San Juan del Sur, My wife and I wanted to know what all the fuzz was about. We did not stay in the hotel, but wanted to see it in case we wanted to stay here in the future. Let me start by saying that if you plan to stay here and visit downtown San Juan del Sur, it will take you at least 30 minutes each way. The Distance from the town is only about 7KM, but the road is in pretty bad shape. The hotel is located exactly above playa Marsella and playa Madera. (You can only see playa Marsella from the hotel. You can probably make it with a small car, but a 4X4 will be the best vehicle to get here. I did not see the rooms, so I cannot comment on them. The view from the restaurant is amazing. You can see playa Marsella right below and it is amazing. The rating of 2 I am giving is mostly due to the view because the service was completely lacking. The place is really small, probably about 4 or 5 tables with capacity for about 10-15 people max in outdoor sitting. There were a couple of people sitting at the bar and about 3 other people sitting at another table. The place was not busy at all. I had to walk to the bar area to get menus as the waitress was busy with her phone sitting on a couch in the bar area. I thought she was a guest until I asked for the menus and she brought them. We ordered a latte and water and a margarita pizza. We got the menus and waited another 15 minutes and the waitress still sitting on the couch surfing the net. I had to get up again and tell her we were ready to order. Our food took another 20 -25 minutes to arrive. The pizza and coffee were both good. I would not say amazing, but definitely they were good. At the end I had to get up again to get the waitress to pay the bill. I just walked up to the bar and paid. The atmosphere is very informal which is OK since I am on a nice natural place and there to relax. However, a relaxed environment does not mean I have to be looking for the waitress and begging to be served. The hotel has the vibe of a high end hostel with a high price tag. Overall, good food an amazing view, but I will not go back. One tip to mention is that we saw one of the most amazing sunsets just outside the hotel. After paying the bill we walked out and saw a road that takes you to the beach. We started walking downhill and then the view opened up to see nature at its best. I doubt that I would go back to Arte Sano, but will likely go back to see the sunset outside the hotel.

Room Tip: not a good place for families with kids. No minors allowed in the property due to safety concerns. stairs and other areas lack rails, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank msmxtoo
josuetomaste, Manager at Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thanks for your review. We always love a little constructive advice. We are working on our signage to let our guests know that we are "order at the counter/bar" kind of place. We do not have waiters and prefer to run Arte-Sano like a causal cafe as opposed to a formal fine dining location. After all....we are at the beach in the tropics...:) We are also a new establishment bringing a new level of offerings and environment. That you can find Rose wine and fresh baked bread where only a few years ago there was just jungle and no electricity has been quite an change for the area.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

We had lunch, cocktails and supper here. Lunch was great, we had a superb steak salad - the steak was perfectly medium rare and tender with great greens, hard to find in Nicaragua. Also excellent latte and cocktails.
We so looked forward to taking our daughter for supper for our last night! Sadly, maybe it was chefs night off, because the next time round the steak was tough and well done! What a disappointment. Afterwards the waitress suggested we be sure to say how we like our steak, but firstly we were not asked and secondly our previous experience had been so good we did expect to get well done meat. We also ordered a plain salad without meat the second time round and were charged for a salad with chicken. My husband paid without saying anything, I would have questioned it, but we did not like to make a fuss for this special occasion.
Arte-Sano is a lovely hotel and the view is amazing, they do however need to learn a thing or two about service. Be for-warned and I am sure you will be delighted!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Beatrice R

Beatrice -
Thanks for your review. We are working hard on providing a consistent plate of food and appreciated your input. We are definitely a casual environment so I apologize if it wasn't clear that we don't really have a traditional staff of waiters and buss boys. Please come again and we promise the meat will be as good as it was the first day you came.

Best,
Josh

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Beautiful view! Delicious coffee and great food. The service was awesome. Very friendly staff. Worth the drive up the hill. The pool looked relaxing although we did not get in. I will definitely return if ever in Play Maderas again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

The hotel is different; the decoration is very unique, the view is amazing, rooms are spacious and very clean, the owner Josh is very friendly and can hook you up with private transportation (if you need to). The walk down to the beach is very interesting; you can take the trail for a true jungle experience or you can take the dirt road to exercise your legs. Food offer at the cafe is also pretty good

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple