“Great place to splurge”

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Great place to splurge”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Yes, this place was a little more expensive than the rest of the hotels we stay in during our two week trip to Nicaragua but well worth it. This was our last three nights in Nicaragua and we wanted to spend a little extra for our last three nights. Our first night we had a room with no view, but the room was very nice and the beds are super confortable. The last two nights we were moved to one of the only two rooms with a balcony and superb ocean/bay view. Very romantic! It's three blocks from the center of town but far enough away from some of the bar noise. The included breakfast is served outside in front of the hotel with ocean views. Hotel staff were friendly.There is a safe in room for valuables, so no need to leave your watch on the bed like one reviewer did. Not too many gringos staying here when we visited, but that was okay with us. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant as it was new and had not been reviewed and did not seem very popular and was a little on the high price end. Over all we would highly recomend this hotel for the extra splurge and ask for the view room if available.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank exbritjenni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I am really surprised my the negative reviews! i have stayed here 3 times and LOVE IT! Planning to go back and bring family with me. The price is very high for Nicaragua but the location and the hotel are worth it. Beautiful and clean. The bar is great! CHEAP! The pool is great to stay in during the hot time of the day. My favorite place here in San Juan del Sur!

Room Tip: DON"T get a extra bed! They are a joke just get another room! They are REALLY uncomfortable!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed in Hotel Victoriano in Dec. 2011 and I've been holding off writing a review because our experience was so mixed. Our room was nice with some luxuries we hadn't had in other places in Nicaragua because we had chosen to visit places focused more on nature than on comfort. It is a charming building, quiet, in a good location however we had a great deal of trouble with certain services that one would expect from anyone in the hospitality business.
Let me say that some staff went out of their way to be helpful but our overall impression is one of a hotel run by folks who needed a refresher in hotel management. Our main problem was that my husband misplaced the key to the safe in our room (where our passports, cash, phones etc. were stashed). The hotel did not have anyway to get into the safe short of taking it off the wall and drilling into it and then charging us $100 US to replace it. Unbelievably they had no master or spare key and claimed they could not get a locksmith until it would have been too late for us to make our flight back to the US the next day. I've never had a situation like this arise in all our travels and maybe I am naive, but I would expect that any well run hotel would have a contingency plan for situations like this. I was extremely grateful that the evening manager finally did arrange for a maintenance person to get our passports etc. out, and we gave him a very good tip for his efforts but I still don't feel the situation was handled appropriately. We were left for nearly an entire day not knowing if our passports would be retrieved in time to cross the border for our flight out of Liberia Costa Rica. We have subsequently asked our travel agent to intercede to get even a partial refund but nothing has happened thus I'm writing this review.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRHummingbird
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Hotel Victoriano is a classic. Beautiful views, quiet, big southern style colonial porches, good bar. It has a nice yard and pool and the website pictures are accurate. The rooms are large and clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Downsides - expensive for Nicaragua. The rooms and structure need some upgrades (a little long in the tooth) and internet reception is really poor.

Having said that, we have stayed there many time. They allow pets with a deposit and have a great room that walks out onto the lawn and then the street without going through the hotel. I don't know why we have never eaten there, but the menu looks good and I can say the desserts are very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto On Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was surprised at some of the negative reviews here. We stayed here for one night and loved the location and the hotel grounds. The receptionist was helpful and easy. I will say it is probably a little overpriced especially for Nicaragua. However our room was very nice with a tiny balcony overlooking the beach.
The bar is pleasant and our breakfast was satisfying.
The pool did look a little murky however and I did not venture in. It appeared that some of the people using the pool (their kids were using the Jacuzzi as a diving pool) were not guests of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was my 2nd time visiting San Juan del Sur within a 4 month period. Iam a solo traveller. This hotel has a fantastic view. It is located at the end of the main strip. About two blocks away from all of the bars and restaurants. Very peaceful to sleep. It is also very safe to walk at night. I only stayed 4 nights. It has during high season so my room was $120.00 per night plus taxes. Normally it would have been $95.00 a night. This was my 1st time staying at Victoriano. I was in room 214 with a queen size bed. The room was cleaned daily and comfortable. I did not have an ocean view. That rate for an ocean view is $160.00 per night plus tax. I was not in the room during the day so the extra money for me was not needed. The pool is small but cleaned every morning. They give you breakfast vouchers everyday. You just have to go to the front desk and request them. The food was excellent. In my opinion there are only two nice mid range hotels in San Juan del Sur. Hotel Victoriano and La Pasada Azul. I stayed in both of them. They are both priced within range of each other. There are several other hotels and hostels that are cheaper. However I prefer a little comfort on vacation. The hotel has security at night so if you plan on being out late just show the guard your key and you will not have any problems. The bars and disco close around 4am. Purchasing food and drinks on the beach is very inexpensive. Your money goes alot farther in Nicaragua. """ I would like to mention one side note. If you spanish is limited like mines, confirm your reservation because the front desk will more than spell your name totally incorrect. It happened to me and several other guest staying at the hotel. """""""" Other than that I had a great time and highly recommend this hotel or La Pasada Azul. I hope this helps and have a great time in San Juan del Sur

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Bailey39Baltimore
Arizona
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at Victoriano for 4 nights over New Years. It was a great location to enjoy the festivities and and respite from the craziness of the holiday. Still, the rooms were awful--old, dark and in need of a total upgrade. We were originally assigned room 214 & walk right back to reception when we saw that it had NO windows. The staff was gracious and moved us to a room w/ a water view. It was still dingy but at least we had light. After 2 nights we had to change rooms because others had booked our upgraded room. We were moved back to 214, which we called "the cave."

Victoriano has a great staff, ideal location and nice pool. However, the tour books and price led us to think it was one of the best hotels in town. That's was a bad assumption.

• Stayed December 2011