Hostel Nina
US$114
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
US$354
US$220
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
US$42
US$39
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Victoriano(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$123
Hotel & Resort Palermo(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$121
US$118
  • Pool
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)(Great Value!)
US$70
El Jardin Hotel and Restaurant(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$394
Hotels.com
All reviewsrooms are basichome away from homeone nightsan juanin town
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while in San Juan, was a good option. Pretty cheap, close to the beach, Nina was quite friendly. Only complaint would be that there were no screens on the window and I woke up with a ton of mosquito bites...I suppose I should have thought of this though.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Cdndoh
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Basic room with ensuite at budget price - fine.
Wake at 1am to find water leaking across floor of room at 1am - not so great.
Wake owner to tell them and get attitude from them - unnecessary.
Next time I'll leave the water to leak for another 5hrs you ignorant woman - I was trying to help you.
Early bus to catch and had to wake owner to leave - more attitude.
I am not interested in dealing with people like this.
Find an alternative, plenty around.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Stuman1
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I only stayed here because of a small hiccup in my travel plans; I hadn't meant to stay in SJDS at all. Feeling a bit tired and grumpy, I didn't exactly want to stay at a hostel, so I started wandering around in search of a private room. And let me tell you - there are some pretty lousy budget options in town (a door? who needs a door?) so I was really happy to find Nina's. It's right next to the bus stop, so it couldn't be easier to get there. It's also only a few blocks up from the beach where all the touristy restaurants are. (They're kind of expensive for a backpacker and the food is ok, but I bit the bullet so I could have dinner and watch the sunset...)

I walked in, asked for a private room and boom - a few minutes later the young daughter was showing me upstairs to a cute, simple private room for the awesome price of $10. The room was small (featuring a double bed! yay!) but cheerfully coloured and bright and airy thanks to two large windows and a nice big fan. The shared bath was nice and clean. I think they also have a laundry service, although I didn't use it. There is also a book exchange in the front lobby and although the wifi connection only seems to work there, it's very strong and reliable.

Overall, I think this is a great little gem hidden in plain sight. If you're not really into the gringo party scene I really recommend this spot. I'm not sure what the prices are like in the high season, but seeing as how I paid $10 for a dorm bed at other places, this was such a good deal. If you're a budget traveler you know that it is such a treat to occasionally get your own room!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are really nice and bright! I think the double room upstairs also has a television.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank megelizah
Reviewed 21 January 2009

I'm a young female traveling by myself and I came upon Nina's after looking around for a place to stay for a few nights. Nina is such an amazing, friendly lady and her daughter is super nice too. They made me feel welcome and at home right away. it was a home away from home.

The rooms are basic, but comfortable, and it's at a great location- close to the mercado, beach, and stores/restaurants.

I loved it!!!! : )

(And she was very lenient with how many nights I stayed and when I payed- I don't know why the previous posting said this. I wanted to stay for a while and then changed my mind.. and there was no problem- she was VERY understanding!!)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Goldmoon123
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Hotel Nina is conveniently located in the center of San Juan del Sur just across from the market. The rooms are inexpensive and basic, but super clean and have a fan. There's no hot water, but you don't need it....it's hot in San Juan del Sur. The two upstairs rooms are the most private and share one bathroom and a patio with each other. The other reviews claim hammocks on the patio, but there were none when we were there. The downside: Nina was very pushy and insisted on us paying for the 6 days we reserved upfront and wouldn't let us change our reservations to leave early. We ended up leaving 2 days early and luckily her friend convinced her to give us our money back. She's doesn't operate like a professional hotel that allows only a 24 hour cancellation notice. My suggestion....don't make a reservation just wing it....there are plenty of places to stay in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple