“Loved it!”
Review of Spanish Ya

Spanish Ya
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanish Ya, is a Spanish language school in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Our Spanish school offers weekly programs that include 20 hours of Spanish lessons, home-stay in private rooms with bathroom (this is from Sunday to Sunday morning, on site at the school or with a host family), three meals every day, purified water, and, also three afternoon activities during the week. Living with a Nica family, you will be immersed in a Spanish environment where you will have the opportunity to integrate into the community and use your Spanish in varied real-life situations.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Teachers were great and fun. Enjoyed the post class activities too. 5 out of 5. Would have done another week or 2 if we had more time.

Visited November 2013

Livingston, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience / Excellent Instruction”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

One of my reasons for traveling to Nicaragua was to attend a language school. Although I have some basic Spanish language education I wanted to become more fluent with the language. After a considerable amount of research on the internet I chose to attend Spanish Ya.
I was only able to attend class for two weeks but I would have loved to stay longer. All the teachers at Spanish Ya were very professional, a pleasure to work with, encouraging, and overall very friendly. This was my first experience with a one-on-one teacher and I found it to be extremely beneficial but don't be mistaken a 4 hour Spanish class will definitely challenge you.
I believe one of the best attributes of Spanish Ya is that they can help anybody no matter what ability they have. In my class there were people that had never spoken a word of Spanish to people that we're very fluent.
While in Nicaragua I attended two other Spanish language schools in other cities. When I compare those schools to Spanish Ya, Spanish Ya was the best school I attended in the country.
I cant say enough good things about the school, I hope to go back again this year.
I did not stay with a host family, I chose to stay at a hotel in town. Some of the other students in my class were staying with host families and the feedback that they provided was that their accommodations were acceptable.
Definitely worth the expense!

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Brad H
SanDiego
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Best school in SJDS”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I did not actually attend any of the other SJDS Spanish schools, I only walked by, but I think from outward appearances that Spanish Ya is the best. I had 5 days of private lessons with a wonderful teacher and enjoyed afternoon trips with other students... It was very, very affordable. Another Trip Advisor reviewer wrote this and I agree....
Yajaira, the owner, is an energentic entrepreneur, justifiably proud of her creation...!

Now let's talk turkey about whether or not Spanish school in SJDS is for you.
The school is outside on a patio, (under shade, but without fans) and frankly, most days I found the heat and humidity unbearable. Or at least not good for paying attention and learning. I was there in late October and early November. In some ways, it would have been better to make this a surf trip and hire a teacher from Spanish Ya to come to my air conditioned hotel for a couple of hours of instruction. I know I sound like some cupcake from the US, and in a lot of ways I am. But it was hot and humid and I am simply not used to it and do not tolerate it well.
A couple of other things, the school follows a formal DELE curriculum... , so by god you are gunna perfect your sers and estars and por/para whether you want to or not. And you are going to step through formal verb conjugations even if you really want a week or two of street Spanish. &$&^@^ And bring a textbook that is at your level, the learning materials here are sparse, though the internet at the school ROCKS (fast), which is not true everywhere in SJDS.
And a wee note about SJDS in general. The surfing is awesome, it just is not handy. The breaks are out of town, roughly 20-30 minutes by truck, car or taxi. Roads are horrible. Perhaps in high season you can go to the beach and back pretty much at will, but in lower season...it is harder to arrange transport to a from the break. Not impossible , but you may spend 4 hours there when you would rather do something else. The beaches are surely not busy though.
In comparison, if you really want to go to Spanish school in the morning and then do some surfing/boogie boarding after school with a 5 minute walk to the beach (and the surfboard rental shop) somewhere like Tamarindo might be more your style.

Visited November 2013
8 Thank KJFromSan
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best Spanish Classes I've taken.”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

As soon as I arrived in Nicaragua, Yajira, the owner of the school made me feel comfortable and welcomed. She immediately took me next door to my homestay, which was great. The family was large, friendly, helpful, and generous. I was stretched a little out of my comfort zone because the house was pretty open, and thus there were a lot of animals around (turtles, bats, birds, iguanas). However, I feel that the experience was worth it and I feel I have grown because of it.
The classes were great. Sugey, my teacher was kind, patient, and knowledgeable. I feel like I learned more than I ever have from taking Spanish classes.
The activities with the school were fun as well, and all in all I think this is an amazing value for your money. I highly recommend.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank ALI924
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Superb language teaching”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

At Spanish ya I received sone of the best language teaching I have ever had. It was all one to one teaching in a breezy and pleasant coartyard near water. My teacher, Zaira, was encouraging but also challenged me, including lots of interesting and enjoyable conversation practice each day. I chose the homestay option and got a lot out of it.

Visited August 2013