“Great hostel!”

Casa Oro Eco Hostel
“Great hostel!”
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

I had a perfect time there! It's very quiet at night. Very clean and free breakfast are amazing. Perfectly located in the middle of town, next to the shops, and one block from the beach. Very organized excursions and shuttles to the beach. Most eco friendly turtle tour in town. I Absolutely recommend this place

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Casa Oro is a great hostel choice for travelers in San Juan del Sur. It's clean, affordable, centrally located, has a roof top bar, breakfast included, dormitory and private rooms and an overall great atmosphere. What sets Casa Oro apart from other SJDS hostels is the inexpensive ($3 at the time) and reliable, daily shuttle to Playa Maderas.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Clean sheets, breakfast included, easy/cheap shuttle ride to Playa Maderas, surf rentals on site, good location, cheap and safe. Cash only. Note it is a younger crowd that is here and also lots of surfers at this hostels so there was some noise going on at night. They have lockers for your stuff if you bring your own lock. Happy with accommodations, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Great location, right off the park and close to the municipal market and bus stop. Complimentary breakfast every morning and served early. Staff: helpful and polite. Room: Good beds, fan, good running shower. Tours and info: very good info, yet didn't take any tours except the shuttle to playa Maderas.
Stayed there in 2010, stayed again in 2012. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stayed here in 2005 and at the time it was probably the most popular backpackers around. We did some tours with them and was happy with the basic but perfectly fine accommodation and tours. We were going to stay with them again but when we arrived, we got turned around and couldn't find it, even though SJDS is a small place. We found it the next day and was going to move but woke up late and didn't have time. We were planning on moving the next day to there. We wanted to do some business with them so we booked a shuttle to the other beaches with them. We were going to do a turtle tour like we did in 2005 but the turtles weren't releasing or laying eggs yet. We did take a look around and it looks like they have upgraded. Tile floors in places were it was wood before. Busier and more of a "business" than before. I am glad that we didn't stay there for one tiny but important to me reason. After I paid the $10 US for the shuttle, I asked for the Wi-Fi code. Anywhere else in town, I could go buy a coke or a coffee for a dollar and get to use he Wi-Fi. Of course, I normally buy a meal but I could get it with just a coke purchase. They refused to let me use the Wi-FI. It was for guest only. I didn't see any signs saying it was for guest only. I was embarrassed and felt a little uneasy sitting there for 10 minutes waiting for the shuttle. I was sorry to have already paid for the shuttles. To be fair, the shuttle was fine and my husband and I were happy with the shuttle service. Needless to say, we didn't move over to them and we do not recommend them to any other backpackers we meet along the way or on our blog. The hostel is for sale so hopefully the next owners will know a little bit more about guest service and appreciate when people choose to spend their money with them. There are so many other places to stay there that are just a good and so many other shuttles to the other beaches for the same price. Saying that, I did see the most backpackers staying there and they are well known and normally get good reviews. The next day, I took the shuttle with another place and they let me use their Wi-Fi. I also stayed three more days in SJDS spending my money else where. Such a little thing as Wi-Fi is everywhere but for me, it totally changed my mind about this once well thought of hostel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these San Juan del Sur hotels

New York, NY
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Spent New Year's in San Juan del Sur and wanted to stay somewhere fun. Casa Oro is in a good location and is where to go to get shuttles to the best beaches. They also ran the turtle hatching tour we went on, which was amazing. We had booked a private room, but were not aware that they only had one with separate beds. We were supposed to get that room, but they had accidentally given it away. They gave us a discount on our tour to make up for it. I liked the place in general although there are so many beds that it felt crowded and not everyone staying there was very friendly.

New Yorj
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had a private room over New years. The room and hostel were clean. You do have to request maid service-it is included- and must be present. The daily breakfast is good, but somewhat small portions. You can not get seconds. We asked for a private room with 2 beds, they forgot the 2 bed requests, which was unfortunate, but then gave us a $6 discount per person on a turtle viewing trip to make up for it. I also had major issues connecting to their wifi, as did many people, so go in expecting that. Also, excellent location, right in town center.
Overall, I recommend.