“Do it!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chica Brava Surf Retreat
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This trip was amazing in so many ways. From the moment we were greeted at the airport to being dropped off and headed home, it could not have been more perfect. The Cloud Farm was beyond any expectations I had, the AMAZING food, the warmness of the housekeepers and the beauty of it all were spot on. And the whole reason for coming, the surfing, was just SO fun!! Our instructors, Elsi (the "wave whisperer"), Kellyanne, Lauren and our host Noelani were a perfect combination to get us out surfing while feeling safe, yet pushing ourselves. It was honestly such a wonderful time, a review cannot do justice...Every sunset, every new friend, every sweet local, just makes me want to come back as soon as I can!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was an amazing trip. There is opportunity to meet new women, learn to surf, travel, challenge yourself and relax.

Our instructors were brilliant and always so helpful. They made the trip so much fun. There is so much packed into a day, yet, every day is a ton of fun and relaxing.

Wake, meditate with the most gorgeous view of mountains and water while listening to jungle noises. Load up with the others into the van and go into town. Load your surf board and off to a beach. We went to several during the week, all beautiful. SURF....if you've never done it before, do it. If you've done it before, you'll love the area. Mix in yoga, massage, dinners out, shopping and making new friends.

The Cloud Farm is beautiful. The staff was outstanding. Each meal was excellently prepared by two wonderful people and always contained organic vegetables and fruit grown right there on the property. It was delicious every time.

It is on the top of my list for favorite vacations and I'll be back.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Cloud Farm if you want to relax.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stacy G
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I started surfing again (played at it as a teen) later in life, and wanted to improve my skills by dedicating a good amount of time towards practicing. Well, let me tell you... if you want to learn to surf, go to Chicabrava !! I stayed at the Surf House and it was fine, but I am used to a bit more luxurious accomendations. SJDS is definitely a lively town, and there is no getting away from the noise if you stay in town. I loved the fact that I could walk around town whenever I wanted by staying at the Surf House though. Its a trade off. The breakfasts were sooo delicious, and the staff (from surf instructors to housekeeping) were so nice and accommodating !!! That was the best part ... how I was treated like family ... these people will be long time friends !! The camaraderie just can't be beat !!! I didn't get a chance to see the Cloud Farm location, but would consider staying there next time I go... YES, I definitely want there to be a next time !! I got the surf bug, and Nicaragua is the place to surf !!!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and protein snacks that don't melt !! it does get hot...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Txgirlloves2travel
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I took on the ChicaBrava camp last November (2013) and loved every minute of it!! i umm'd and ahh'd about doing it for a couple of weeks but I'm SO glad I committed - I don't think there was one bad review about Chicabrava and now I know why!!!

I arrived to Nicaragua from Australia and went straight to the surf camp. I was doing it alone so a little nervous about what to expect..but once I arrived, I met Lauren and Noelani (seriously the coolest chicks you'll ever meet) and it was a 4 days of fun and surf from then on!

The accommodation is clean, comfortable and has everything you need!
All the girls that work at Chicabrava are just amazingly beautiful people inside and out and they welcome you like you're a long time friend. The instructors are incredible teachers (I had never surfed before Chicabrava and now I'm able to take my board out for a surf back home!) and there's a great sense of camaraderie amongst the group which felt really special to be a part of.

i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who is heading to San Juan and want to learn how to surf in a safe, fun and relaxed environment!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Selbel M
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I came to chicabrava with a friend and we both had an incredible time. I had never even seen a surf board before this trip and by the end I was able to paddle out to the 'outside', pop up and surf out on my own. The teachers were really rad and there was a great sense of camaraderie between them.

The surf house was very comfortable and very clean, it felt like a hotel. I was continuing my travels after chicabrava and would advise future young travelers to budget a bit more cash for meals and tipping.

I think the women working at chicabrava are very inspiring because they are totally rocking out at a sport that is frequently dominated by men. I think chicabrava is a great place for women of any age - and that's the beauty of the camp, it's a group of strangers, who might not have otherwise been friends, leaving as family.

Only negative is - it has been two months and I still can't stop calling every girl chica !!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank memarevisited
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had an amazing trip week at Cloud Farm with Chicabrava. The number one part of the trip are the instructors - they are amazing. For anyone who wants to learn how to surf, this is the best way to get started. The instruction level is 2-3 girls per instructor - the four we worked with have all been surfing since their teens or before and Elsie was the first female surfer in San Juan Del Sur.

The feedback on your surfing style is the most helpful - they film you a few times throughout the week to show you what you're doing wrong - or right!

I traveled alone (I wanted to do a solo trip) and had no problem making friends with the other 10 girls on the trip. Also, be sure you follow the packing list - a spring suit in colder months is a must, along with protein bars and extra snacks. Oh, and go on the catamaran tour or you're missing an awesome afternoon/evening!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My daughter and I have been talking about taking this adventure for quite some time and finally did it!! We stayed at the surf house and loved every minute of it! Being 45 years old I was not sure of my ability to surf but with the knowledge and encouragement of the instructors and the other ladies I surprised my self!! My daughter and I have created some unbelievable memories that will last forever and strengthened an already close bond. Absolutely perfect!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family