“Excellent food here!!!”
Review of El Gato Negro - CLOSED

El Gato Negro
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: El Gato Negro is a Bookstore/Coffeehouse providing locals and travelers a comfortable place to enjoy whole foods, interesting conversation, amazing coffee, the best selection of books in Central America, and an ambiance which will make you forget that you have spent four hours with us.We source organic and whole foods locally and import what we cannot find here. Our friends are our bakers, yogurt makers, lettuce growers, bee keepers, coconut oil pressers...... We offer an experience unique in Central America.
Ensenada, Mexico
“Excellent food here!!!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The coffee is average but free refills, only place in the entire country that does that. Bagel sandwiches are wonderful in this country or any other. Great staff, too!

Visited August 2013

“Questionable sour ownership”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This place seemed cool, it's great that they have books to sell and the items in the menu all sounded really good. Super foods description is great. I however chose not to spend my money here because the menu is not a menu, it is a woman clearly trying to preach and push her negative and judgemental feelings upon those reading it. She obviously has some deep seated insecurities. She spends what seems like a entire novel ragging on people who use social networking, read main stream books, of certain ethnicities and much of it is pitiful self promotion.I wanted to love this place, but the condescending rants in the menu make it difficult to find yourself comfortable with spending your money on something the owner probably doesn't approve of. It would come off a lot nicer if she encouraged people to try the things she believes in rather than insulting them into it. Maybe if she had Facebook to post all these feelings and personal achievements she would find less need to promote herself so much in her menu?? Staff were also in absolutely no rush to assist when customers were requesting help, or even just wanting to pay, and it seemed eye contact or proper responses was not something they find necessary. Super disappointed.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Yoitscool
“Few good and bad”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Food is good and really enjoy having a healthy option when I'm travelling.. As backpacking can get pretty draining. Preaching your "beliefs" and plainly being rude in your menu though is pretty lame. If people are on holidays they have a choice to do whatever they feel like doing. You really don't need to right a huge spill about things which have no personal affect on you.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Stephbourke
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Hang out with the gringos”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This cafe/bookstore has nothing nicaraguan about it what so ever, other than the staff.....its full of westeners eating dooshy bagels with salmon and creamcheese and drinking over priced coffees, a bookstore in a spanish speaking country with no spanish books??? at all and at 5-15US$ for a second hand book in my opinion way over priced, it was like this had been picked up from camden town and transported to san juan del sur......but my friends used to go regually and i would meet them in there and it was always full so maybe i missed the point, for me i like to hang out in more local places when i visit places and try and soak in some of their culture.

So sorry guys just not my kind of place.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank BenS-Lord
NicaExpat, Owner at El Gato Negro, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thanks for your recent review. it is unfortunate that your experience was not pleasant.

We created the largest bookstore in Nicaragua, with 90% of our books being new. It is possible that we are the largest bookstore in Central America. It is not an easy thing to import books into this country. If you want cheap books, then Camden is your source.

If you would like to visit Nicaraguan owned businesses, then you should do so. We do not hide the face that we are foreigners operating a business in Nicaragua.

We provide organic, whole foods, and a menu unique to this hemisphere.

We select the finest organic coffees and roast them on premises. If you want something else, then go find it.

Something tells me that I did not kidnap you and force you to purchase products at my establishment. As you have indicated, your friends were there every day. That would be just like the hundreds of thousands of other people who visited over the past years.

In the future, if you want to visit businesses that are owned by locals and serve local things, then do that.
Honokaa, Hawaii
“Coffee and Community”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Amazing spot in San Juan where you can get the best americano in all of Nicaragua (I have lives here for awhile now, including spending nearly a yearnin the north -coffee country). This is the best coffee, no questions asked. But how can it not be? They roast the beans right there in the shop! There are books galore, games, good music and entertaining decorations. The wifi is perhaps the most reliable in town as well. But don't waste your tine on the computer there, enjoy the company around you! I find there are days I walk in and I start seeing friends, whonintroduce me to their friends, then I see other friends, and before I know it an hour has gone by and I am just getting my order in! Although lucky for me I'm a regular so the staff knows what I like and I don't even say anything. It's magic, an americano with milk appears by my side along with a bottle of honey so I can sweeten it to my taste. A little later, a big plate of fresh fruit to freshen up my morning. I also love the smoothies, fresh yogurt, banana raita and chocolate chip pancakes. I know some people who go just for the delicious baked goods. And lunch! Epic! Believe me, if you live, travel, or just pass through San Juan you will guarantee find yourself at Gato Negro at some point. You will love it, and then you'll go back...everyday until you leave...and maybe you never will:)

Visited September 2013