“Has potential ”
Review of El Gato Negro - CLOSED

El Gato Negro
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: El Gato Negro is a Bookstore/Coffeehouse providing locals and travelers a comfortable place to enjoy whole foods, interesting conversation, amazing coffee, the best selection of books in Central America, and an ambiance which will make you forget that you have spent four hours with us.We source organic and whole foods locally and import what we cannot find here. Our friends are our bakers, yogurt makers, lettuce growers, bee keepers, coconut oil pressers...... We offer an experience unique in Central America.
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Has potential to be a really cool place to chill, relax and drink coffee but unfortunately the staff on both occasions we went (as we felt after a pretty average first impression we should give it another go) were rude and treated us like an inconvenience and unfortunately the food was really really really average. For such nice ingredients it's a shame it felt and tasted like it was just was thrown together with no care involved.
On the menu piece, I appreciate that you're trying to provide a lot of info on a lot of topics which is interesting, but in every menu I received pages were missing, pages were all jumbled and falling out. To be honest as a first time customer not knowing the menu it was really hard to actually find out what was on the menu as I had so many pages missing!!

3  Thank Nancyness33

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was a really cool bookstore/coffee shop. I could have spent hours in here looking through the book collection and sipping coffee (if my coffee wasn't so weak). That was my only complaint. Even with weak coffee, I'd still recommend that you give this place a shot.

And while amusing, the owner's snarky Q&A section of her menu was a bit off-putting.

1  Thank Andy472
ElGatoNegroSJDS, Owner at El Gato Negro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Our coffee farm is in the highest altitude of the country, creating a very smooth, low acid yet highly caffeinated coffee. It is so smooth that originally people thought it was light roast because it did not have a deep roasted flavor. We use 20 percent more ground coffee than traditionally called for with this particular coffeemaker. Today someone asked me to add more hot water because he thought the coffee was too strong. It was our normal roast and normal measurement. Go figure. We cannot please everyone, but we do a great job at pleasing the majority, which is why we have the highest customer return rate of any business in town.

If you have a complaint, the best way to address it is with the manager because the majority of the time the problem can be solved instantly. My guess is that if the coffee was weak, someone may have taken from the carafe before it was fully finished brewing. The staff is pretty good about avoiding this, but there have been times when certain regular customers helped themselves to refills, thus violating the law of wait until it has finished brewing. However, I think it was more likely the coffee was smooth and the disconnect between the expectation and the tastebud experience translated it as weak.

You cannot leave a satisfied customer if you do not tell us there is a problem. Sometimes people want to leave unsatisfied so that they have something to complain about, which is something I address in my menu. The “snarky” comment is likely because you either work for BP, Halliburton, McDonald’s, the people who manufacture pink slime and chicken slurry, Monsanto, nuclear power companies, credit card processing companies and fiat banks, and the military-industrial complex and/or you are a major shareholder in Facebook and/or you have an internet addiction and did not appreciate being told to disconnect and have face to face time in a coffeeshop and/or you really like drinking coffee from a disposable environmental pollutant formed into a to go cup and/or you were told to take your feet off the table and/or you are a big fan of TripAdvisor and do not like that I refer to it as Whine Advisor and that is the reason that we meet via the internet. I am guessing the latter, as the others would not at least call the FAQ “amusing”, too. Truthfully, it is hard not to be judgmental when reading complaints about a coffeehouse/bookstore in Nicaragua. Right now three nuclear reactors have melted down and their coriums have melted into the earth and water tables while radiation has been emitting non-stop into the atmosphere and the sea water. Forty-nine percent of children living in the highly contaminated (and on-going) Fukushima prefecture that the Japanese government calls “safe” have enlarged thyroids. Yes, 49%! Starfish along the Pacific Northwest have melted away; their extinction took just a few weeks. All of them. All of the starfish on the Pacific Northwest Coast are dead, with their mushy remains decaying into the sea. Hundreds of thousand of sea animals are dying en mass. Governments are trying to create nuclear wars. Human rights are dismal in every country. If you want to complain, those are some pretty good things over which to voice your discontent. I am happy to wear the label of snarky if it has made someone reflect on how their actions reflect upon the Earth and humanity.

The atmosphere that you liked so much is my creation, too, and certainly could not have been created by a snarky individual. The menu tells it like it is. The first page starts with a list of people and places we thank for their support and the second page is an assortment of prayers of gratitude. Winnie the Pooh is quoted. Some people are uncomfortable when they see their attitudes or behavior mocked. Regardless of your interpretation, I receive compliments on it several times a day. The menu has more than 500 downloads from my blog. People ask for copies frequently. It is posted in many bookstores in the US, Canada and even two in Ireland. I see people laughing while reading the menu. Some come back in just to finish reading the menu.

I realize that even this response may keep certain people away from my store. If you want to insult me because of my desire to use my opportunity to educate consumers in a (usually) funny way, so be it. It has gained me more customers than lost and provided education and entertainment.

I am glad that at least you found the FAQ amusing and liked the rest of the store save for the coffee and I sincerely hope that you had a good time in San Juan del Sur.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was real nice to find an English bookstore here. Coffee is good, breakfasts aren'nt bad. Nice atmosphere with an interesting clientele.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Decent drinks, cool atmosphere, lots of travelers, and a lot of books for your choosing. The servers are less than friendly.

1  Thank Nathan B
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We dropped in here and decided to have a cappuccino as we'd not had a decent coffee in a while and were swayed by the decent looking Italian coffee machine. Sadly, the barista who made our coffee didn't know how to operate the machine properly (either that or the machine's temperature was set incorrectly) and our coffees came out burned and bitter. Not impressed, and for 60c, not worth the money.

2  Thank fisschy
ElGatoNegroSJDS, Owner at El Gato Negro, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

I wish you had said something to the barista and allowed us to make you a second cup.

We roast our coffee on premises, using medium to dark roast for the drip coffee and dark roast for the espresso. We do not use an espresso roast that many other places use because it results in a burnt taste. We use coffee beans from our own farm in northern Nicaragua. The farm adjacent to ours won the Cup of Excellence years ago. People from all over the world have ordered our coffee via mail, including a few from Hawaii who have cheap and easy access to Kona.

We are pretty good about making sure an over-roasted bad batch of coffee (it happens now and then when the roaster gets too hot) is tossed into the compost pile.

Had you spoken to our manager or any of the employees, we would have made you a new cup and if you were still not satisfied, certainly never charged you for it.