“Looking back to a great time!”

Latin American Spanish School
More attraction details
Owner description: Latin American Spanish School is a non profit company, the owners are teachers from San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua with more than 19 years of teaching Spanish like second language. We offer many different courses for all levels, beginner to advanced, and special courses for professionals, travelers, investors, children and more. Come and learn Spanish living like a Nicaraguan people in a nica-families, knowing and living our culture affected for many years for the U.S.A policy!
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I had a great time at the Latin America Spanish School. I followed classes for 3 weeks, 3 hours a day. When I came for the first time I made a test to check the current level, because my last Spanish lesson was a long time ago. I started with a refresher course (grammar) which was really needed. The other 2 weeks were pure conversational. About Nicaragua, the history, culture etc. Nice to get an insight view in daily life here! Good & friendly teachers, I enjoyed the "cultural activity" they organised. Perfect way to get to know each other and the other students. Great experience! And my Spanish? Definitely better!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"homework"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 8 March 2017

The location leaves a lot to be desired. On the second day we decided to continue the rest of the week with an extra hour in the afternoon from 3-4 pm. due to excessive road noise.
Very, very noisy location.
All teachers were excellent except mine.
Very young, very unprofessional.
Asked if I believed in God because she didn't like teaching those who didn't. Really?
Insisted on reading from a book of poetry which I hated.
Not a great experience.
Other teachers were more mature and knew how to teach. she didn't.
Loved San Juan Del Sur.

3  Thank Velliott154995
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Arrived to this school with very limited Spanish knowledge. My teacher was Vanessa, and she was amazing! She was extremely professional, but she had a wonderful sense of humour, as all of the teachers at this school had. A very comfortable school setting with one on one instruction, located in the centre of the town, with wifi. I studied here 4 hrs a day for 6 days, and the time passed far to quickly. A plan for my week was made at the start, and reviewed each day. I was in Nicaragua for a dental brigade in the northern part of the country, and Vanessa made sure I had the correct terminology for the patients I would be interacting with. I was invited to join the teachers for a cultural dance presentation, salsa dancing , and Spanish Karaoke. I had a wonderful time with them outside of the class room, as I did in class!
I stayed with a beautiful Nicaraguan family, that were very considerate of me, and my needs. The house was on the main drag of SJD, a little noisy with traffic, vehicles, roasters, and barking dogs, but that is the experience of living with a host family, and having the cultural experience. Each evening I was encouraged to talk with the family, and was served outstanding meals. I was given homework at the end of each class, which was a great review, and prepared me for the following day. I can't say enough about this school, the teachers, and my home stay! I would highly recommend LASS to anyone looking for a spanish school in San Juan del Sur! I hope to visit again Hasta Pronto!

1  Thank DianeGuinand
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Finally a school that helps you to start speaking Spanish! One on one means the program is tailored to your level. Daily exercises and revision over past work are a helpful part of their approach. Of special note is they dont just say what they are going to do but document a custom lesson program at the beginning and each day check off what is done. The new app learning aid they are just introducing is a really convenient and great way to learn stuff that simply has to be memorised.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

This Spanish-School is incredible!
I arrived last Sunday in SAN Juan del Sur with my Spanish Class starting on Monday. For the next five days I was taught 5h/day.
The time flew away.
Since the teachers, so called profesoras, give you homework everyday, try to have additional off topic conversations with you and organize a dinner/salsa evening in the middle of the week, there is a steep learning curve.
Also they are very interested in your profession and try to grow your special vocabulary.

After these five days I need to recommend this Latin American Spanish school to everyone, who is planning to study some Spanish before traveling or working in Nicaragua.
San Juan del Sur offers wonderful surf spots (e.g. Playa Maderas), a wonderful village character, and a lot of international travelers, who make arriving in a different culture even easier.

A must-do!