“A home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Secret Cove Inn
San Francisco, California, United States
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family, husband and two kids, stayed here twice in one trip! Felt like we were at home in this cozy case near the sea. The place is tastefully decorated with a lovely breeze passing through. Our room was spacious, clean, great mattress, and cool. What more could we ask for...

And the "included" breakfast was worth it's weight in gold: fresh squeezed orange juice, gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, toast and fruit salad. We were royally spoiled. Not to mention, we felt totally welcomed by Ray and his family. I would definitely return!!

happy travels~

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would not stay here again. Looking at the average review ratings, I was baffled. I believe most of them were written when the now ex-wife was living there. We felt like we were invading the owner's home because they were always there sitting by the only TV area in the hotel. We had to share a bathroom which added even more drama to the poor stay. The staff that cooked breakfast was friendly and provided a simple but good breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed in what I assume was the smallest room. It was nicely painted with some colourful pictures on the wall but the room was only slightly larger than the bed, with 1-2 ft of space around it. One of the previous reviewers mentioned that it was one of the worst mattresses they had ever slept on. It was remarkably uncomfortable because it was a large cheap foam mattress put over two single beds pushed together, each of which had a wooden border around it. I woke up at 4am with a sore back and had to get up for an hour before I could lie in it again.

The common area is nice but it's a family living room that was in use by them the whole time we were there so I didn't use it. There's a shower downstairs from the room and a toilet on the same floor but the toilet door didn't close properly so would keep blowing open unless you put something against it.

The one essential in any accommodation is a bed you can sleep on and on that score this was the worst place I stayed in Central America. Even putting that aside, it was the worst value at the price, more akin to rooms I stayed in for €16-18 a night.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Secret Cove for 2 wks and really enjoyed it! Ray and his grandson Jeremy are nice, helpful, and fun to hang out with. The whole place is very clean, though I do wish they had cleaned our shared bathroom more often - it got pretty gross as previous posters have mentioned. Our first room had a comfy bed, but we had to move for our last 2 nights bc of previous bookings, and the second room had one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on. The breakfast was tasty, and because we had to get up early for Spanish school before the staff person arrived to make breakfast, ray made sure there was yogurt, fruit, and granola for us to eat in the morning. Overall- would definitely recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SGM2
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2012

went there to meet my son who was already staying there and had just spoken to on their free line to usa. am amazed its not fully booked , evefrything good about it wifi, kitchen, breakfast, inexpensive,advice from an english speaking person, and just a good, home feeling.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 23 January 2012

After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure about staying here, but I'm glad that I did. The B&B is on the edge of town. It's near everything, but far enough way from the noise of the bars along the seafront. The open plan kitchen, dining and lounge area are really cosy and welcoming. My room was spacious and I had a big fan to keep me cool. As a solo traveller I thought this was an excellent place to stay, as the living space is conducive to meeting the other guests. There have been some reviews about the bathrooms not being cleaned etc. All I can say is, if you think something needs doing or has been missed - just ask! Ray will help get it sorted. Each bathroom is shared by two bedrooms by interconnecting doors, but was fine for my 6 night stay there. The breakfasts are delicious - gallos pintos, eggs, toast and fruit. Remember, Sunday is pancake day! You can also make your own food there if you want and help yourself to free coffee. He even has a kettle for those of us who prefer a cuppa! I thought it was really good value, especially as some of the rooms in San Juan are double the price and more. I thought Ray was a fun guy to know and has a quirky sense of humour! Thanks for making the end of my trip to Nicaragua such fun.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank normski117
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed at The Secret Cove Inn in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua of October 2011 on my surfing trip and I must say, I felt at right home from the first time I met the colorful and witty owner, Ray Jackson. Centrally located to all the activities San Juan has to offer, it is only a short walking distance to the beautiful Pacific ocean. The Secret Cove Inn is a clean, quiet B&B with a friendly staff in a very secure location that boast's it"s own private 34' sailing yacht for those sunset cruise's. I would definetly recommend the Secret Cove Inn to anyone wanting to get off the beaten path....James H.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo