“Very Nice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Secret Cove Inn
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I really liked this place. The room my wife and I stayed in was large, comfortable, and well decorated. It also had windows to the outside (which seem to be hard to come by in NI). The location is kind of tucked away inconspicuously in the center of town in a well decorated house. The owner and his family were very helpful and interesting, always excited to help make plans and reservations for us. Breakfast was probably above average. In terms of value, we were in SJDS for New Years Eve and ALL of the hotel prices were inflated and I can only assume the same for this place. That being said, our room had a shared bathroom, no real water pressure, and no A/C which was kind of disappointing for what we paid. The TV in the living room was left on most of the evening with the volume REALLY loud. But overall, everything was really quite comfortable and does seem like a home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Secret Cove Inn

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights over New Years. It was a good location, the room was nice, and the common area was nice - the living room of the American family that owns it. The bathroom was shared, but it was a jack and jill style so we hardly noticed it was shared. We enjoyed talking to the three generations of Americans who ran the place, as well as other travelers we met. There was a nice fan in our room, but it was still too hot to sleep well and the hot water didn't work when we were there, though they were good about fixing things and keeping the house well maintained. The family who lived there was often watching TV in the common area, but it didn't bother me like it did some other travelers.

Overall, I really liked this place and felt very safe and comfortable there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Absolutely loved this place! The owners really make you feel at home. The breakfasts are good and the rooms are clean. It really felt like a haven away from all the craziness that is San Juan del Sur while still being in the center of town. Also, had one of my favorite meals in Nicaragua at Cha Chas restaurant down the street.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family, husband and two kids, stayed here twice in one trip! Felt like we were at home in this cozy case near the sea. The place is tastefully decorated with a lovely breeze passing through. Our room was spacious, clean, great mattress, and cool. What more could we ask for...

And the "included" breakfast was worth it's weight in gold: fresh squeezed orange juice, gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, toast and fruit salad. We were royally spoiled. Not to mention, we felt totally welcomed by Ray and his family. I would definitely return!!

happy travels~

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would not stay here again. Looking at the average review ratings, I was baffled. I believe most of them were written when the now ex-wife was living there. We felt like we were invading the owner's home because they were always there sitting by the only TV area in the hotel. We had to share a bathroom which added even more drama to the poor stay. The staff that cooked breakfast was friendly and provided a simple but good breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed in what I assume was the smallest room. It was nicely painted with some colourful pictures on the wall but the room was only slightly larger than the bed, with 1-2 ft of space around it. One of the previous reviewers mentioned that it was one of the worst mattresses they had ever slept on. It was remarkably uncomfortable because it was a large cheap foam mattress put over two single beds pushed together, each of which had a wooden border around it. I woke up at 4am with a sore back and had to get up for an hour before I could lie in it again.

The common area is nice but it's a family living room that was in use by them the whole time we were there so I didn't use it. There's a shower downstairs from the room and a toilet on the same floor but the toilet door didn't close properly so would keep blowing open unless you put something against it.

The one essential in any accommodation is a bed you can sleep on and on that score this was the worst place I stayed in Central America. Even putting that aside, it was the worst value at the price, more akin to rooms I stayed in for €16-18 a night.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Secret Cove for 2 wks and really enjoyed it! Ray and his grandson Jeremy are nice, helpful, and fun to hang out with. The whole place is very clean, though I do wish they had cleaned our shared bathroom more often - it got pretty gross as previous posters have mentioned. Our first room had a comfy bed, but we had to move for our last 2 nights bc of previous bookings, and the second room had one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on. The breakfast was tasty, and because we had to get up early for Spanish school before the staff person arrived to make breakfast, ray made sure there was yogurt, fruit, and granola for us to eat in the morning. Overall- would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple