“Probably the best value in town....clean, comfy, and friendly!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Secret Cove Inn
Reviewed 3 February 2014

You'll be hard pressed to find a better value than the Secret Cove. SJDS has a lot of cheap hostels (targeted towards the younger partying crowd) but less in the mid-range. When I first came to Nicaragua/SJDS in 2012, I searched pretty much the whole town looking for a good balance between clean/comfortable and affordable and was not disappointed here. The owner Ray--is a retired American (his grandson who is fluent in Spanish helps him run it)-- also lives in the B&B upstairs so he has designed it with first-world amenities and comforts in mind. Book ahead especially during high season (5 rooms w/sometimes longer term residents). He has 2 local ladies who seem to constantly be cleaning and keep the place tidy. Perfect for a family or 2 couples to book two adjacent rooms, which share a joining bathroom (each room only shares a bathroom with one other room). Unlike most other B&Bs in town, this place has very comfortable and nicely decorated common area-- plenty of room in the spacious living room (with wifi, TV, DVD, full kitchen, etc) or the porch area to read a book or be social. If you're a non-Spanish speaker (like me!), also a big bonus to be able to get recommendations, help translating etc. Well located too: literally a 30 second walk to the beach, but a quieter side street (unlike many places which get blaring music from all the loud bars and annoying drunk college kids partying...a downside of SJDS!). I was only in town for a few days during my first trip but since then have come back to stay here for 2 longer term stays (1 month+). Btw- If you're staying longer term, check with Ray for a discounted rate (negotiable and I think will depend on high vs low season).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Ray and his staff are wonderful people. I visited San Juan Del Sur four times between 2012 and 2013 and the Secret Cove is by far the best fit for me. I am a budget traveler and appreciate the balance between price and amenities. They offer: Wifi, Cable TV, free calls to US and Canada, free coffee and a Nica Tipico breakfast for only $24 for couples. With only 5 rooms available, it's best to reserve before your trip. For contact or more info visit imup2.com

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ImuPtwo
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights and liked it a lot. We had a large double room with two fans and adjoining bathroom (we shared with the room next door). They had an electric shower for hot water which worked ok. There was mosquito protection on the window to keep out the bugs. Breakfast is included in the price of $28 US per night and was satisfactory. It is located in a quiet street around the back of San Juan. Is is run by and older man and his grandson with some locals doing the house work and cooking. They have a kitchen you can use and a fridge to store your stuff in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I really liked this place. The room my wife and I stayed in was large, comfortable, and well decorated. It also had windows to the outside (which seem to be hard to come by in NI). The location is kind of tucked away inconspicuously in the center of town in a well decorated house. The owner and his family were very helpful and interesting, always excited to help make plans and reservations for us. Breakfast was probably above average. In terms of value, we were in SJDS for New Years Eve and ALL of the hotel prices were inflated and I can only assume the same for this place. That being said, our room had a shared bathroom, no real water pressure, and no A/C which was kind of disappointing for what we paid. The TV in the living room was left on most of the evening with the volume REALLY loud. But overall, everything was really quite comfortable and does seem like a home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights over New Years. It was a good location, the room was nice, and the common area was nice - the living room of the American family that owns it. The bathroom was shared, but it was a jack and jill style so we hardly noticed it was shared. We enjoyed talking to the three generations of Americans who ran the place, as well as other travelers we met. There was a nice fan in our room, but it was still too hot to sleep well and the hot water didn't work when we were there, though they were good about fixing things and keeping the house well maintained. The family who lived there was often watching TV in the common area, but it didn't bother me like it did some other travelers.

Overall, I really liked this place and felt very safe and comfortable there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Absolutely loved this place! The owners really make you feel at home. The breakfasts are good and the rooms are clean. It really felt like a haven away from all the craziness that is San Juan del Sur while still being in the center of town. Also, had one of my favorite meals in Nicaragua at Cha Chas restaurant down the street.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family, husband and two kids, stayed here twice in one trip! Felt like we were at home in this cozy case near the sea. The place is tastefully decorated with a lovely breeze passing through. Our room was spacious, clean, great mattress, and cool. What more could we ask for...

And the "included" breakfast was worth it's weight in gold: fresh squeezed orange juice, gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, toast and fruit salad. We were royally spoiled. Not to mention, we felt totally welcomed by Ray and his family. I would definitely return!!

happy travels~