“I regret staying in this hotel”
Review of Barrio Cafe Hotel

Barrio Cafe Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
San Salvador, El Salvador
“I regret staying in this hotel”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Despite the feedback it sounded like the place was clean so I decided to book. I made reservations for two dates. I never received a confirmation although I paid 50% in advance, after a week of waiting for a confirmation I wrote to the hotel requesting confirmation. On arrival they had made the first reservation but not the first one. We were downgraded to a room I did not book . We stayed for 7 nights. The first 4 nights it went without hassle, the rooms were indeed, clean. However on the 3rd day my husband and I wanted to sleep in, I put the sign outside "DO NOT DISTURB", I heard a knock and to my surprise it was the cleaning lady, without saying a word, (not even excuse me) came into the room and started cleaning it, my husband and I were getting ready to go out so the three of us were in the bedroom, my husband, I and the cleaner... I thought it was ridiculous, what is the point of the sign then?? from the 3rd day onwards we had NO WATER. I asked reception and he said water would come back at midday, it didnt. My husband got it so we had to stay in the room without any water, after the 3rd time of asking about the water the manager offered to bring up a bucket so we could shower, not the idea I had of a holiday. For the next 3 days the water came and went, we were not able to use the hot shower, my husband filled up the bucket every day with water from the sink which took us over half an hour each day. It was awful, my husband was too ill to move to another hotel. The restaurant was nice, the food was nice and most waiters made an effort, but there was one waitress who never smiled, my husband ordered a glass of cabernet sauvignon she brought back white wine, when my husband told her he ordered red wine she said in nicaragua, cabernet sauvignon is white wine, to be polite and enjoy our meals we did not discuss with the waiter. We saw friends who live in San Juan who said the service at the hotel is very poor and that's why they stopped visiting. Over all, the service staff needs to be trained to have modals and at least smile. It's a shame as it tainted our holiday. I understand things happen in these countries but the staff was not very eager to help. Two positive things were the food and the cleanliness of the rooms, everything else I regret.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked my trip to Nica two weeks before I left because I just needed to get away from the snow storms in Philly. I wanted a spot to just chill for a week, but also snorkel, light surfing and paddle boarding. I had known about SJDS from friends in Nica( I had stayed in Tola the previous year). My criteria for choosing a hotel were: central location, near the beach, and a/c just in case of hot, humid night as i have a bit of asthma. Also, the hotel MUST be Nica owned, this is very important to me. All conditions met!
First of all, from the photos i saw, I had the idea that the hotel was located atop the Barrio Cafe, thus the entrance would be outside, but the rooms are adjacent, in the back of the cafe - very safe entrance, very nice!(although Nica is listed as the safest country in Central America, by many different sites)
The room was exactly what I needed and more for a solo traveler. Most will come with two double beds, so I could lay out all my clothes and gear on the one, although a shelving unit and hangers are provided. The bathroom was good too, with adequate water pressure. (remember you are in a surfer/fishing beach town, this will not be the Ritz Carlton, and for the $, I felt I got more than I expected. The infrastructure in these towns will not yet allow for the type of water pressure a lot of us are used to , but it was more than adequate)
For me, one of the highlights of this hotel was the Barrio Cafe which, along with the two taco shacks next door, is the same owner. I can tell you I think I had almost every meal here with the exception of only a couple other places tried , but I kept coming back.
Firstly, the staff and I quickly were on a first name basis. The bartender Alfredo, always had that welcoming smile in the morning and would ask about your previous day. He was always full of travel tips and off the beaten path advice and a few jokes and winks ;). Also, he makes the best mojitos and margaritas in the town, no doubt!
The breakfast served is a North American/Europeans delight- everything from 'excellent' cappuccinos / lattes to omelets, French toast, breakfast burritos, fruit/granola/yogurt, and yes, a Philly/NY staple...smoked salmon/bagel! I really expected to rough it with food as I normally do and eat a lot of local dishes, but the menu here could easily stand up to a neighborhood cafe in Philly, even New York.
As a former bar/restaurant owner, I can tell you I had an appreciation for the way things were being run. The manager, Samuel was very friendly and always welcoming, clearly he has good people skills and has a good rapport with his staff which keep things running smoothly.
One of the great things about the Barrio Cafe is that it has many different settings. I could just go in for a drink at the bar and conversation with Alfredo or the always smiling, Graysie, or sit on the side with a big opening facing the street and people watch. If you want a nice meal and table space, theres a dining room surrounded by lush greenery or a large banquettes with long tables to curl up with you book and a latte or with a bunch of friends you've met. I wont forget one of the servers, Ariel, who always took an interest in my activities of the day... such genuinely nice people, all of them. I wanted to write this review in appreciation for who they are and what they do well.
I know they plan some renovations for the fall and will add more rooms and more amenities and food and drink options. I can tell you that I plan to return to revisit such a wonderful place and wonderful people!
Thank you Pitayuna and special thanks to Barrio Cafe! Hello to Samuel, Alfredo, Ariel, Graysie, Chef Erick for his wonderful creations, the hotel reception who were wonderful and the to the owner and the rest of the staff...I wish you continued success!! Hasta Pronto!!

Room Tip: check out the terrace atop of stairs for quiet setting/computer work
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights at this great little spot in the centre of town. If you want peace and quiet, this is not the place but otherwise I highly recommend it. The staff are very friendly and helpful for sure. Personally, find their choice of music for evening dining a little loud and not at relaxing or conversation type music. With all fairness, they have a bar attached to same and are probably trying to cater to both at same time which is impossible. It is probably a financial decision but perhaps someone in charge will have dinner with friends and see what I mean!
I ate at nice restaurant once and menu was quite substantial and Chef whom I met was very friendly and believe trying to create dishes that would please their clientele. If you order fish, suggest you inquire as to type being served as what they are offering at present in my opinion is not what should be served. I will say no more and trust that management will be looking into their choice at present time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joseph A
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have stayed in room number 7 at Hotel Azul a dozen times. 3 months ago I said things are slipping. Let me try it one more time.
But this trip was no different. There isn't enough water pressure in bath sink to clean off your razor or toothbrush. There isn't enough light in bath to see yourself in mirror to shave.
The key to terrace sliding door won't lock. The key to safe won't work.
At 2:30 in the morning a group of young drunks were yelling outside my door as well as downstairs. The garbage truck was blowing his horn on street below my bed at 6:45 in AM.
Johnny the manager was great as well as the rest of the staff.
Won't go back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockholm
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a friend for just one night in this centrally located hotel. The rooms are behind a cafe/restaurant but it was not as noisy as I feared even though i stayed a weekend night, since the bar closes fairly early. Super friendly reception staff and clean rooms, even if they were not anything fantastic they were solid quality for being in a small town like SJDS. Got good help from the reception to hire a car with driver and other arrangements. If i went back to SJDS there would be no need to look for another place, except if I came with my family as this is more of a place for solo travellers or couples that dont need candlelights for the night of their stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We recently spent 9 nights at this hotel and first off I would like to point out the good things which were the cleanliness of the rooms and the extremely pleasant and helpful staff. However, there are couple of things I would like to suggest to improve the experience. Because of the outdoor security lighting and the close proximity to the bar and restaurant they really should install blackout curtains such as used by airport hotels. There was no WIFI in the rooms forcing guests to sit out on the stairs or in the restaurant when they wanted connect making secure sessions even more problematic. And lastly the keypads on the room safes no longer function forcing you to carry the safe key when you are on a beach vacation.

We ate at the restaurant twice. The discount breakfast was an unpleasant experience with a surly waitress serving lousy food. All the other guests I talked to also disliked the discounted breakfast that the hotel tries to push on you when you arrive. You do not have to accept it. Our lunch experience was much more favorable with good food and pleasant wait staff. My biggest complaint with lunch is the french fries were so good that I wanted more.

I should mention there are two sets of stairs. The first one is a spiral staircase which is difficult with luggage but further along is a second set of non-spiral stairs.

Room Tip: The superior rooms have a balcony and better airflow through the room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We weren't expecting much for the modest charges but we had a great experience, the staff is kind, helpful beyond measure and well trained. They even went with us to the spa across the street to get us settled! Id definitely stay again and the restaurant is really good and affordable, even by Costa Rican standards.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple