“BAD !!!!”
Review of Hostel Esperanza

Hostel Esperanza
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I think all the positive reviews for this place are by their friends.... I booked a room over the web with a $26.00 deposit.. Got there and the room was NASTY to say the least.. room had been cleaned yet someones used razor was in the shower... the sheets were grey on the bed.. so think when someone leaves the just make the bed for the next person arriving... I would rather sleep on the beach..sure I would get less bites ...Went around the corner and found a cheaper spotless place for less money... Went back to get my deposit and as you guessed NOPE no refund... DO NOT book this place online and make a deposit... unless you like to kiss money goodbye... I am not a fussy traveler and have stayed in some places that sure could use sprucing up... but they are at least CLEAN...

Room Tip: No good rooms... go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for about 4 days. It is right across from the beach & near downtown. It is run by some very nice people & they have an adorable little girl. They also have an awesome guard dog who is really sweet. But I must say the best part of this hostel was the complete breakfast they serve. Rice, beans, eggs, fuit & toast. No other hostel served more than toast the month & 1/2 I traveled. It's a nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I chose this place because the location is great (across the road from the ocean) and its reasonably priced ( double room with shared bathroom $20) service was ok but their communication could have Been better. Make sure you request breakfast and are clear when booking activities or transfers etc. popular with the younger backpacker market but noise level at night was acceptable.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Nice owners, happy friendly staff, tasty nica breakfast, coffee and water (including the price). Basic but neat rooms. Lovely garden and patio, big kitchen. And last but not least, in front of the beach and walking distance exploring... Me and my friend enjoyed our stay!!!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2013

pros: right across from beach and a little far from down town enough that you can get some sleep.
Con; toilet kept on breaking, not as clean as I'd hope. everything was very dated, and they didn't have towels!

Drove me crazy, we waited all day for towels and they still didn't get them washed and air dried, for 12 hrs! Although not their fault, the day after SJDS had a power out tage and the entire town was basically dead. Some hotels has generators, hostel esperanza did not. We paid $30 for a private room and I think that's a little to much.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
OurPointofView, Gerente at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Sorry for the towels you´re right we had problems with this during those days. We don´t have plant yet, we are new owners and we´re improving the palce step by step. About the price, your were three people in three beds private room, that means10$ per person with a very good breakfast inlcuded. I don´t think is too much. Thanks though for your comments, they help us to know were we have to keep impoving. Cheers!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

The location (right by the ocean) is very good and the owner is very friendly. The other staff was not really nice and the place could use much more cleaning! They never had any towels as all of them were always wet...

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I had to live for three days in San Juan Del Sur without any money and no place to stay while I waited for money to come in via western union. Hostel Esperanza took me in, gave me a place to stay, and let me eat at their restaurant, which serves mouth watering coconut curry, nutritious fruit/vegetable juice, and other absolutely delicious food. In my opinion, for $8.00 a night, its proximity to the ocean, free breakfast and super caring staff, hostel Esperanza is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo