“Dank among very limited options”
Review of Hostel Esperanza

Hostel Esperanza
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This establishment tends to admonish those who write less than glowing reviews, but I’ll take my chances.

I will in fairness to the hostel lead with the fact I found absolutely no evidence of the earlier, really bad review (which I read post-arrival) about bugs. None. Other than really stinky common washrooms, Esperanza was sufficiently clean and my bed was in really good shape.

Esperanza (“hope”) has a beachfront location, breakfast-included as well as free coffee `and water all going for it. One member of the staff was friendly. Rooms hint at once being chic.

Pictures show a bustling hostel with whiteboards of today’s activities. Not so. That’s a different hostel, around the corner. One perk was breakfast: bordering on delicious thanks to a growling stomach but served an hour or one and a half hours late, a problem if you are registered for Spanish classes or other prepaid events.

Rooms are pricey for what you get in Nica (dorms seem to be market value-ish): dark, mouldy, dank and not-so-charming pools of muddy water outside your door. This place is, quite frankly, depressing.

Add to that the fact that by noon the common washrooms for the dorms (right beside the private rooms that go for triple the price) are loud and are absolutely, without-a-doubt as smelly as they come, and this hostel's rating just kept dropping.

I did see fresh painting being applied to common areas, so perhaps improvements are coming for high season.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Hostel Esperanza is one of the nicest hostels in town and realy a good value. Owners and workers are great, friendly and helpfull, green patio with hammock shade and lots of green. Nice place to hang out Good atmosfere and nice restaurant with lots of veggie options. Good Nicabreakfast included, water and coffee for free. Location and atmosfere are the best in town. Just cross the street to have a refreshing swim or enjoy sunset.I love it over there

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at high end to very low end hotels and hostels. This Hostel has a great feel, the owner and workers are gracious. We felt for the money it was excellent, and right on the beach. I would recommend this place for anyone that is on a budget but wants something comfortable. It is not a 5 star hotel. Major perks. Our bed was comfortable. We had private room and bathroom. Breakfast is included and was simple but great. All amenities were simple but clean. Internet wifi was strong and consistent. We stayed at other more expensive hotels that were much worse here in the same city. Middle class American couple on a budget would find this place acceptable and comfortable. Many other perks, arranging trips, nice cafe attached, access to communal kitchen, free coffee and filtered water all day. Nice court yard inside, great covered patio outside facing the beach, computer inside the lobby free to use, very flexible storage for our bags on our last day here after check out.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Over the course of a year trip in Central America I kept coming back to SJDS, and each time I stayed here at Esperanza. The staff is super cool, rooms are nice, the price is low, and the free breakfast is awesome. If you want to stay at a party hostel, this is not your spot. If you want to get a good night of sleep, and be able to leave the hostel early to do day trips, this is your spot. Esperanza is right across the street from the beach, and still close to everywhere you need to get to in SJDS.

Big ups to Esperanza and everyone who works there! Miss you all!

-Bandido

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We loved the Esperanza and are not sure if the people giving it one star actually stayed there! The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast excellent. The owner and her daughter are really lovely and the proximity to the beach is unbeatable. We liked the fact it wasn't a late-night crazy hostel and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Don't stay here if you want to party. Do stay here if you like tranquility and a great breakfast.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We only stayed here because the Naked Tiger hostel was booked out, and it was such a disappointment. The dorms were not nice and quite dirty, the bathrooms were horrible, the staff weren't very helpful and there was so place to hang out. The only good thing was free breakfast in the morning, gallo pinto, fruit and coffee, but definitely not worth the stay. Try book Naked Tiger or Pacha Mama Hostel instead.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
OurPointofView, Propietario at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Hi Anne, first of all, thanks for your comment and for the time you used to write it. Is said that, even bad, is good that people talks about you. We are very sorry for not have been a good hostel for you, and, as you said, if you are looking for a party hostel, Esperanza is not your hostel. That´s completly right, we are a chilling hostel, a perfect place to stay after partying, surfing or whatever you like to do. We are beach front and we love to rest with the daily sunset, after this moment we normally have dinner and, SOMETIMES, we or our guests start partying but at 12:00 is time for silence. Party people need to go out and come back with the sunrise if they can resist the whole night. Thanks again for your comment, and for the three point you gave us although being so disapointed! Hope to see you again in another moment of your live!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed at Hotel Esperanza for two nights this month and it is a TERRIBLE hotel. I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in a long time and I am absolutely disgusted. I am not a picky traveler and I don't need much to be happy but this place is definitely dingy and the dumps. I will never stay there again and you shouldn't either.

The room smelt like mold and although there was no visible trash on the floor, it looked and felt dirty. The sheets were grey in color and old. I am also sure that the bed was infested with bed bugs. I am not one to call out a hotel for this unless I am 100% sure. It is a serious accusation but in this case, I am positive that our bed was infested. After 2 nights, I had over 40 bites all over my body, in the clusters and patterns that are very typical of bed bugs. There were also streaks of blood on the pillows and sheets which I wished I had noticed on our first night there. Upon leaving, just to confirm my suspicions, I lifted up the mattress to see if there were the typical bed bug marks on the wooden bed frame and of course, they were there. Disgusting.

The shared bathrooms are also small, offer no privacy and are full of mosquitoes. If there was dengue in town, this would be a recipe for disaster.

The only good thing about the hotel was the staff. They were all very nice and helpful. Who cares about this tho when everything else was horrible.

Beware!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
OurPointofView, Owner at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Hi Sara, the point is, why did you never comunicate you were having a bad experience to the staff, we could have done something to improve your stay with us. Instead, you go to a social net and write a really bad comment. If it was that bad, why did you stay 2 nights? Thanks for you help, we´re working hard to improve our service every day.