All reviewsfree breakfastnice courtyarddorm roomsan juanwifi worksawesome locationcentral locationfresh fruitstayed here for nightsocean viewhammockssjdsfanstownnightlifepachamamanicaragua
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I was torn between giving 4 or 5 stars for this review. There was nothing wrong here but was it up to a five star standard.
This hostel is super cozy, the staff only spoke little English but that wasn't really a problem. The room was spacious with a couple of fans and an en-suite bathroom. It was relatively clean and the beds comfy so couldn't complain.
The free breakfast was almost a traditional breakfast and it was a good start to the day. The location was great, right on the beach at the end of the hotel strip meaning it was quiet and peaceful. Attached to the outside was a handy little taco place in case you didn't have the energy to walk into the town.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank STownsend90
Reviewed 10 October 2017

had a good time, I liked the common area and the breeze during the night is so good after a hot and sunny day.
when I was doing my check out, the staff helped me with all the info to go from SJDS to Leon in one day.
thanks!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

The hostel has a very good location, right by the beach and not right in the center for tranquility. We were welcomed by a kind staff and had a cosy room with a good bed (even 2 beds) for cheap price. The common area is really nice with trees, cats and hammocks. The room could have been cleaner with the floor being still sandy at our arrival and the sink being clogged and full of grey waste.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Quiet and cosy hostel just on the edge of the center of san juan next to the beach. The rooms are clean but nothing special. Lots of mosquitos but the fan on the ceiling really helps to keep them off. Breakfast is included (which is already very nice) but nothing to be excited about (medium gallo pinto, fruits and bad coffee). There are also enough parking possibilities for cars. The receptionists were very helpful and motivated. The courtyard has a lot of plants and invites to hang out with other guests of the hostel :)

Secret not so secret tip: Have a bite at the mexican restaurant in front of La Esperanza Hostel. Best mexican food we had in Nicaragua!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2017

I want to give Hostel Esperanza my warmest recommendation. The owner of the hostel and Paul were so nice to me during my stay. I had a lot of problems outside the hostel and they were both being so helpful. First day we arrived my friend had already booked a bed for herself for 2 days and I hadn't. I was told that all the dorm beds were occupied. After a while of trying to figure out where else to stay, Paul in the reception offered me a bed in a 4 person-room for a fair price. I shared my room with 2 french girls that I later shared my travels with. Another day I had a double-booking. I both had a booking at Esperanza and at Pachamama and I was forced to stay at Pachamama. The owner of Esperanza was helpful and cancelled my bed without charging me anything. Thank you!

In total I spent 4 nights at Esperanza. The hostel is just by the beach where you can watch the sunset. It is located down town close to the cafés, restaurants and nightlife, but still far away enough so you won't be bothered by the nightlife. The hostel shares the front area with a delicious mexican-restaurant and they have free breakfast (rice, beans, fried egg, toast, ranchero, fresh fruit) and water refill (many other places in Nicaragua you have to pay for it).

The last 3 days I spent my nights in the 12-person dorm which have 2 toilets and to showers. Beds are very wide and can fit 2 persons. It is very hot inside the dorm. They have fans, but I woke up felt that the indoor climate was very bad.

WIFI works very well and they have cats!

Thank you again to the people in the receptionist, they were so cool and easy to talk to.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends