“Breath-taking view and great beach access”

Casa Marina Condominium Hotel on the Beach
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed here for almost three weeks so that we could attend language classes. We had a two bedroom condo, 2 bathrooms with showers and a gallery kitchen with electric stove, sink and full size fridge. The kitchen included basic items and there is a small grocery store and market just 2 blocks away where you can purchase any specifics items you might need.

There is an elevator and they have a generator so when the town loses power the hotel didn't. Wifi is available in the lobby and was much faster than other places in town that we visited.

Breakfast was available which was gallo pinto, eggs, toast and jam with coffee/tea. We had it nearly every day and I loved that the staff got to know our names and were super helpful. English is limited but they were patient as we practiced our Spanish with them! So sweet!

We stayed on the 4th floor and on the south side. We had total un obstructed view of the cove and I would recommend choosing a room on at least the third floor. The breezes from the ocean are great and we rarely felt the need to turn on A/C but it was there in the condo and bedrooms.
Shower pressure isn't strong but it does have a nirmal hot water shower. There is purified water dispenser in the lobby to fill up from. There is always someone in the lobby if you need something and a full time night guard. We always felt super safe.

There are dozens of restaurants with a few blocks so we ate out almost every day. One favorite became Jugosa which is one block to the left. Only open for lunch, super clean, outdoor cafe. Their juices are amazing, sandwiches are huge and their torta is worth the wait. Buy the whole one and eat the leftovers later for your next meal

This place is great for a long time stay

Room Tip: Would recommend at least the third floor or higher for a perfect view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moniqueflick

Reviewed 2 July 2013

The views from the balcony alone make this hotel worth it but also the proximity to the beach, bars, restaurants, stores, etc. The rooms are not super fancy (as others have mentioned) nevertheless I've always enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Try and stay above the 2nd floor if you can...the views are worth the climb (there is an elevator...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Just across the street from the beach, the location cannot be beat. We stayed in a one bedroom condo with two queen beds and a pull-out couch. The condo was spacious. Nothing fancy here - just simple, clean accommodations. Beautiful view from the balcony. Numerous restaurants within walking distance (El Timon was our favorite). Parking was an issue though - they have their own garage, but it's hard to get the car in (no ramp). Would recommend parking your vehicle at their sister hotel a few blocks away. A guard sits at the entrance of the building throughout the night, and the staff was nice. Breakfast was good (and included), but it was the location that made the stay.

Room Tip: Third floor and up offer the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. It wasn't 5 stars or anything, but we had a suite with two rooms each with two double beds, a kitchen area and a nice balcony. The staff were reasonably helpful but the location was the best part.

Room Tip: I'm not sure about if all the rooms have oceanview balconies but definitely get one if you can...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ynattirb
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week and had a great time. The good: It is centrally located in town which makes for an easy walk to restaurants, bars and shops. The staff was always cheerful and helpful. At dusk, a friendly security gaurd is always stationed at the front gate. Our room was clean and had a great view of the bay and the nightlife
The bad: The rooms include an ajoining bedroom that can also be rented out unless you pay for both bedrooms. This ajoining room has a door to the hallway and also a door to the main room and the ajoining door cannot be locked from the main room. I read a review last year that said a man walked in to a couple's room from the ajoining room. When we checked in, we requested that the ajoining room not be rented out. We were there during the off season (August) so this was not a problem. The hotel offers a free breakfast. We tried it once. It was basically beans and rice with eggs and a side of toast and sand mites.

There are some Americans who live there permanantly. They are very friendly and don't mind giving touring advice if asked. There is a little shop in the lobby that offers home-made chocolates and other treats as well as a message. It is run by an American couple who sailed to the area five or so years ago and never left. They were happy to lend me a wall charger for my GPS. All I had was a 12 volt charger and our rental car didn't have a 12 volt plug.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel, the price is very affordable and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Went on a solo trip to San Juan, since I live in Rivas so I didn't reserve a hotel, instead I decided to go there and pick one randomly. The Hotel is near the BDF bank, from the first look I thought it was an ordinary hotel, but decided to go in anyway. I asked the counter how much for one night, she said it was $75 and asked if I wanted to check the room first. My room was on the 4rth floor, the room had a bedroom with AC, bathroom and a living-room with chairs, kitchen and fridge. The price was ok so I decided to stay. The Room had a great view of the beach and the AC was nice. At first they told me they don't have breakfast but later provided it. The staffs were helpful and give directions and prices I asked for. Nice stay.

Room Tip: The bedrooms are near the windows, at night there are some light from the outside and is a little ha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We were the only guests in the motel. The other rooms were used by the 3 different owners. The first thing we noticed was that all the towels and beddings looked like they were from goodwill. The view from our room was mostly of the bar across the street, and a little of the beach. The smelly air conditioner barely worked. The first day there was no breakfast. The second day we decided to wait in the lobby for someone to make us a breakfast as advertised. Sorry we did, scrambled eggs dripping with butter, some cut up mellon, and coffee. For this I payed $130 a night. A little too much I think. Maybe $60 would be more like it. I made a video to help give you a feel for the city if you would like to watch. http://youtu.be/UUHlwIcaqRw

Room Tip: The 3rd floor or above so that your view isn't the roof of the bar across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple