“Doesn't get any better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to go on a week vacation to Nicaragua with some friends this July. One of our friends had stayed at the Dreamcatcher before and had given it rave reviews so we were excited to check it out.

Based on what I'd read and heard, my expectations were already pretty high, but in the end those expectations were completely blown out of the water. I've spent a fair bit of time in Central America, but I never imagined such a perfect place. Epic surfing, incredible food, pristine surroundings, and some of the best people I've ever met. I quite literally, could not have asked for more.

If you go here, you will fall in love with it. If you don't go, you will regret it. It's that simple.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DirtyScience

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Once you get here you won't leave, so plan accordingly!
I came down here with no intention of leaving for 3 weeks and that wasn't nearly enough time. It was so easy to settle in, relax, surf, do yoga and still get work done. The atmosphere is incredibly inspiring - as are all the people you will meet there.
Warm and fun owners, incredibly inclusive atmosphere, dependable surf, great yoga, yummy food, rum, and endless good times. The place has a great rep in the community as well so you feel constantly welcomed in the area.

See you again soon!

Room Tip: Dorms are good but top suite or cabana is best!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jmorden
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Originally ended up there by mistake and turned out to be the best mistake of our trip. Said we would stay one night, then stayed 3 because of the great atmosphere the Dreamcatcher house creates. Fantastic staff as well as fellow travelers. For whatever reason this place attracts people that are extremely friendly, fun, and open minded. We left for 4 days before coming back on our way down to Costa Rica to stay another 3 nights... already can't wait for my next trip and there's no doubt I'll be staying at the Dreamcatcher House again!

1  Thank DavidSkeber
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Fell in love with the place and the people. Dreamcatcher is a beautiful place to stay and thoroughly enhanced my experience at Playa Maderas. The people who run it, and the travelers it attracts, are the kind of people you want to be around. The food and service was phenomenal and much more prompt than typical Nicaraguan service. If you're willing to try it out you will not be disappointed, but you might never want to leave!

1  Thank kceames
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I was a little be apprehensive about what to expect in Nicaragua, but this place exceeded all of my expectations. It was incredible.

From the moment I arrived, the staff and owners made me feel welcome and comfortable. They really do create a family like atmosphere and I met some wonderful people. They also employ all local staff, who are fantastic, and it really contributes to the authentic "Nicaraguan Experience". Aside from the great people, this setting is unbeatable. It is situated on the crest of a hill overlooking the ocean and some of the best surf in Nicaragua.

For me, it really had it all. I could surf, hike/explore or lounge with the other great travelers at the lodge. I made some great friends while here and would recommend it to anyone. The accomodations have a rustic charm and you can't beat waking up to the ocean breeze and howler monkeys in the hills behind you.

Great for couples learning or experienced in surfing, singles who want to meet people in a safe and fun environment or a group of friends who want to get away.

I'm going back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JME5255
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My first visit was last year. It's the best place I've ever been to. This year I've returned with my three friends. Despite the fact that I only stayed for a weekend, I enjoyed every second. From the moment I got there, I felt that the life had slowed down. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. There have been many developments since my first visit and the "house of dreams" looks absolutely amazing: wood work, natural colours, stone floor, hammocks, view of the ocean, chill music, delicious local food and mojito heaven.

The house is situated on a hill with the view of the ocean. The beach is five min down from the house and seven min up. There are actually 3 beaches close to the house which are only a small walk away. Playa Maderas is perfect for surfing, the other 2 are perfect for swimming, catching some rays, and collecting sea shells and sea glass.

Every day was a new experience- frisbee golf, learning to surf, walks on the beach, we never got bored. And every night the house came together: every resident, long-time traveller, and new friend,s to dine at the family style dinner table. Then we would all proceed to the beach for a bonfire party, to the house to watch a movie, or to the roof for night calming yoga. At the end of the day we'd all start trickling into our room to sleep, dead once we hit the pillow. Room, bathroom, board were wonderful-just another plus to add to the list.

All in all we went to Playa Madaras, the Dreamcatcher House, for a weekend, our little piece of heaven, where a piece of us will stay forever....

1  Thank Agaaaaa
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I have just spent the last 3 weeks of my seven month trip to Central America here..
Was living on the same beach a couple of months before and met so many great people who were staying there, that in the end I made my limited travelling budget stretch to stay at Dreamcatchers...

It was a great decision... Dreamcatchers is a great place to stay for people of all budgets...It is perched on a hill top which has a view of the surf... You spend your days chilling, maybe doing Yoga/Meditation classes early depending on what the tides are doing, and then spend the rest of your day enjoying the Surf. Even if your not surfing, its just a great place to hang out with like minded cool people..

Pescatarian food is amazing, cooked by a family of local Nicas, boy I miss the breakfast helpings of Gallo Pinto, and the Cerviche/Veg Lasagne yummm..

One of the great things about Dreamcatchers is that it is out in the middle of nowhere, so you enjoy the simple beach life.. but it is still close enough to town (6-8km) to check back into civilisation should you feel the need to. The guys also organise trips into town for parties at the weekends, and other surf spots, depending on what the guests want to do... In reality, the house guests make decisions about what they want to do, and the guys work out the best way to make it happen.

What more do you need from a place... answer nothing!!! If you're heading down to Nicaragua, don't think about going anywhere else...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
#4 of 27 in San Juan del Sur
Aqua Wellness Resort
Aqua Wellness Resort
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda

Been to The Maderas Village? Share your experiences!