“A dream wrapped in a wave inside a sustainable paradise.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I am not a surfer nor do I normally seek out the best beaches in the world for vacation. And yet, I found a "home" at Maderas Village. It has all the elements I usually seek out in a perfect vacation: relaxing destination, beautiful vistas, instant camaraderie with other guests, world-class cuisine, caring staff, comfortable rooms, and best of all --- the feeling after a couple of days that I'm as far away from my regular routine as possible.

I rediscovered vacation energy ... you wake up happy and the day just gets better from that moment on. The beach is spectacular. I dined with new friends from Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia and England. I went to a rodeo. I visited Granada that is a gem of an old city from the grand Spanish colonial days. And I only had great meals both at Maderas Village or local restaurants.

The staff is amazingly attentive both to the needs of the guest and to the lush jungle environment in which Maderas Village is nestled. Nothing leaves the property --- plants, timber, or locally grown food --- that isn't replaced. It's an extraordinary commitment to keeping the environs sustainable and eco-friendly.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PapacitoNYC

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in this beautiful little paradise for a week and plan to return asap! This hotel "village" is comprised of cabanas, villas, and a main house where the meals are served and people generally gather. There is also a penthouse suite atop the main house overlooking their incredible beach just down the hill. The village is mainly constructed from sustainable materials such as salvaged woods, palm leaf roofing, and even walls made of empty rum bottles (and cement) from the good times had by previous guests! Construction-wise, all of the villas and cabanas etc adhere to traditional nicaraguan building methods which really makes you feel as if you're in someone's home and the effort and care is apparent everywhere you look. Design-wise, most things are very simple but brilliantly sheik and a lot of times, downright clever. Top off the beautiful surroundings with the incredibly welcoming, friendly, and hardworking staff (seriously, those guys are the best), world-class surf, and perfect weather, and it's pretty much a home run!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at Maderas Village for two nights, way too short, but nonetheless a great experience. The boutique hostel & hotel is up on the hills overlooking Playa Maderas, so if you're a surfer, you can always check the swells up on top of the Dreamcatcher House.

The dinners at Maderas Village are top-notch and super good ... definitely have the ceviches on Tuesday nights. The staff & the travelers I met were all very friendly and personable.

Spend your days going to surf or lay out on the sun at Playa Maderas, and evenings at the tables conversing about life at dinner, and then nights out in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This place is wonderful, you will literally feel like you are staying at a friend's house with all of your basic needs taken care of. A great place to come with friends, meet new friends, or just relax on your own. It is a short walk from the best beach in Nicaragua with amazing sunsets. The staff is great and can set up anything you need whether it be surf lessons, Yoga or even getting into San Juan Del Sur.

Johnny Mc - Philadelphia, PA

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Johnny M
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I was at Maderas Village last week with my daughter and I am seriously having the worst holiday withdrawal I have ever experienced. We simply had a wonderful time. When I inquired about visiting I was told to think of it as something between a boutique hotel and a friend's house. The description is perfect! We felt very much at home, made lots of friends and are all planning on returning. The food was excellent, fresh and great variety. The beach is beautiful. I am not a surfer, but I had requested lots of yoga and was pleased with my daily class and the beautiful space to practise in. We had planned on being there about 5 days and stayed for 8 of our 9 day trip to Nicaragua. It's hard to focus on just one aspect as this place excels in every way. The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank shar0nml
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Everything about it was great! Most relaxed I think I've ever been in my life. The hospitality was amazing and the food was incredible and so fresh! All of the staff was so nice and became our friends instead of just people that work there. All the other guests that were there during our stay were awesome and we have continued to keep in touch. Just a short walk from the beach. What an amazing lifestyle! I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our trip was intended to recharge, re-energize and to explore what Nica has to offer. The Maderas Village was the ideal spot to not only recharge in the warm sunshine but to also stay connected (if so desired) as there are idyllic working spaces equipped with wifi. Most days we awoke to culinary bliss and an inspired space to work. By mid-morning we took the path to the renowned beach where surf and sun are abound. The staff at Maderas are not only very cool people to spend time with, they are also trip planners extraordinaire, helping to make arrangements for surf lessons, rides and unique experiences in Nica. They are the perfect holiday mix of laid back and truly attentive to your needs.
The ambience of Maderas Village is best described as unique. It's a lifestyle. It attracts open and like-minded people making the family style dinners these engaging dinner parties that keep people at the table late into the evening.
Their tumblr paints a visual picture http://maderasvillage.tumblr.com/

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
#15 of 27 in San Juan del Sur
Aqua Wellness Resort
Aqua Wellness Resort
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda

Been to The Maderas Village? Share your experiences!