“Fantastic Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed at Maderas Village for 6 days. The location, staff, food and drinks were all superb! Just a stones throw from the breaks of Playa Maderas, it's on a secluded hilltop with great sunset views from the top. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to escape reality.

Room Tip: DIdn't stay in the cabins in the valley but heard they were awesome.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My friends and I only visited for a few hours to eat lunch and take a tour of the grounds, but it was awesome. First, the food and drinks were great. I especially appreciated that the pina coladas weren't uber sweet. Also, I didn't have any fruit, but the dragonfruit in the granola breakfast bowl looked amazing.

Second, the views are awesome. I definitely wouldn't want to hike up to the village with my backpack, but once you get up there, it's worth it. Not just being perched up overlooking the beach, but also the flora planted around the grounds.

All of the accommodations are gorgeous, and it was great to have the friendly owners explain the thinking and planning behind each building, as well as the landscape design. I'd love to return 1) to see the finished product and 2) to actually stay in one of the rooms. It would feel like luxury at a price that wouldn't leave me penniless.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had an amazing time in Maderas village this summer! It's not just an another hotel but your home and family away from home! the hotel is really nice, the staff is really friendly, the beach is perfect, the sunset are amazing...what more can I say? Thank you guys for making our few days with you so great!
PS: an the food is really good to :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed for a week in March and was a great stay. Dave, Dickie, and the group made it feel like I was staying with friends the entire time. They have created a laid back atmosphere above the surf that allows guests to make their stay whatever they want it to be.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rshah611
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This was my 2nd visit. I still don't surf. I sort of do yoga. My expectations were clearly raised based on the 1st visit. I wasn't disappointed.

I had forgotten how fresh the juice & fruit & vegetables are. How unspoiled the beach. And how the whole experience still seems a secret to a delighted bunch of coast wayfarers / friends who have been recommended by word-of-mouth. Shh.

One such visitor arrived expecting to sleep in a tent --- she was not properly briefed. Playa Maderas is so many cuts above just the ~ surf lodge. The place is lovingly manicured & easy on the eyes. Yes, you can bunk w/others in a room but there are also pvt. room options or even casitas w/ kitchens. Reasonable $$.

A common space foe guests to congregate & eat & schmooze. Organized activities (Rodeo!) Caring staff. Run, don't walk to the best vacation you'll have in years!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I stayed at the village for almost 2 weeks (wish I stayed longer) in November 2012, as a birthday present to myself. I’m 28, and decided to go alone, which I have never done before, but figured I would be just fine there. Turns out I was right. I got a private room in the main house, and the room was clean, and comfortable, and did the trick. Be prepared for the howler monkeys in the early morning to wake you up, and no warm water, but other than that, no complaints. The staff are great and friendly and make you feel right at home. The food is healthy and tasty, and the drinks are cheap : ) I took surfing lessons with Dunia (wrong spelling I’m sure) who lives right at the bottom of the hill, and she’s a great instructor. I also managed to sneak in a few massages from her, and it was worth every penny.

I went into San Juan when I could, and I just love that town. I think I did 2 loads of laundry for $5. The taco place is amazing and so cheap, and the nightlife can be a nice break from doing nothing if you crave it. There are also lots of great restaurants in town, if you want to change it up for dinner. Have a coffee at the El Gato Negro coffee shop…it’s a must
I would go back; however I would rent a Casita with a few friends the next time I’m there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I was at Maderas in February, and while this place isn't for everyone, it is great at what it claims to be and shouldn't be chastised for what it NEVER claims to be.

If you want to relax, meet some awesome fellow vacationers (more so than "travelers"), network a bit, be close to the beautiful Playa Maderas beach (not a simple thing to score!), even do some work from your trip, need a bit more comfort than budget hotels in Nica offer, you will LOVE Maderas Village.

If you want the AUTHENTIC Nicaraguan experience, where you're amongst locals, experiencing the local culture and cuisine, want to do everything on the cheap along with other backpackers- then this is not for you. But then again, they don't advertise/market themselves as some "authentic Nicaraguan experience", and for that - good on them. It caters to mainly North Americans (25-40) who just want to get away and relax a bit, meet some fellow peeps. They deliver on what they advertise. I met some really nice people there. The communal vibe is awesome if you're a solo traveller. It's not quite a resort, and it's not quite a hostel but has the party/social vibe that some hostels offer.

The owners/management was great and while some people in these reviews rag on them for their "treatment" of the local staff they've hired, they employ at least 20 locals, and treat them very well. They give a fair bit back to the community, and I saw no rudeness towards staff, who are working in the open kitchen, next to where we all hang out.

I had a 10 day vacation, backpacked for 6 of it, and wanted to relax at the end of it, and not think about much. This was a great way to wind down my trip. I wanted to stay a few more days when it was all said and done.

One small note: The dorm I stayed in was in the main lodge, which can get a bit noisy at night. If you want a good night's sleep, and are two, better off to get something private outside the house.

The place isn't as cheap as other options in the country, but no prices were unadvertised. I knew it all going in.

If I'm looking for a relaxing few days in a fun environment, I would totally go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 27 in San Juan del Sur
Aqua Wellness Resort
Aqua Wellness Resort
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda

Been to The Maderas Village? Share your experiences!