“Still the best after so many years”
Review of El Timon

El Timon
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is the largest and one of the oldest restaurants in San Juan del Sur. It is the most popular restaurant serving traditional Nicaraguan beach fare. Located right on the beach! Full service, full bar. Fabulous sunsets!
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have been coming to El Timon for at least 10 years. I am happy to report that they still provide great customer service and the food is great. First of all you need to know that they specialize in Sea Food Nicaraguan Style (This is definitely different than Mexican food, but it is great.). That said, I have had multiple dishes on the menu including the "Pescado Tipi Tapa", garlic shrimp, shrimp cocktail, and more importantly it seems that for one reason or another one of the companions on the trip is always sick when we arrive in San Juan del Sur and we have always asked at "El Timon" for an item that is not in the menu, but they happily prepare it for us. I am referring to the "chicken soup". On this last trip I happened to be the one sick when we arrived and I asked the waiter to please prepare it. He immediately said yes and 20 minutes later came back with what has to be considered one of the best chicken soups I have ever had. I think when I go back next time even if I am not sick I will be ordering this.

The view is great and the staff remains friendly and very much wanting to provide great customer service. They provide great service at a fair price. Absolutely recommend this place.

1  Thank msmxtoo

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Lots of seafood to suit your taste. I had the camaron (shrimp) cocktail. It was different than what I am used to in Mexico but it was still excellent.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for mid morning snack and drink. Firstly, they don't serve coffee, then they didn't have one if the items we had ordered and finally when the bill if around $7 came we handed them a $20 bill and didn't bring change back. After 15 or so mins we had to ask!

Randall G, Owner at El Timon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We are sorry you had this poor experience, but we'd like to explain. When you came for your mid-morning snack, the restaurant was actually closed. At that time, we didn't open until 11:30 for the lunch hour. But we accommodated you anyway because our clients are important to us. And we DO serve coffee. Our professional coffee machine makes great Nicaraguan regular coffee, plus espresso, capuccino, frapuccino, iced coffee and more.

You may also be happy to know that we are now open for breakfast from 7:30 until 10:30. For $5 you can have a Nicaraguan, American or Healthy breakfast with unlimited coffee. You can't find this deal anywhere on the beach. So, we hope you return because we'd like to change your opinion of us. Thanks for writing. We take client comments very seriously.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The restaurant is outstanding
The quality of the ingredients and presentation is appealing
The service is attentive

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We randomly decided to stop here for a late lunch with a group of 8. The beer and wine list was good, and the staff were very attentive. We ordered several appetizers for the table and each had entrees. Everyone was very happy with their order; not always easy in a foreign country with a large group. The fried cheese cubes were amazing, and the view is out of this world. The atmosphere is slightly more elegant that some of the other restaurants on the beach, but it is still very casual. I highly recommend popping in if you are in the area.