“sweet spot”

La Terraza Condominiums
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed in sjds for a few nights and only managed to get a room for this gem for one of those nights. The second floor was set up beautifully and cleanliness seems to be a top priority. The location is far enough away from the beach to make for a quiet night. owners were helpful with organizing a day trip for surfing as well!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Candice B

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Loved it. Rooms were clean, atmosphere was relaxing, a balcony and the terrace...
Casa Oro was my social getaway. This place was my getaway from the nights with Flor de Caña.
The owner lived in SJDS for a few years and has good knowledge of the town.
Worth the price.
I would go back again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank RoundandAround1981
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We absolutely loved staying at the La Terraza Guest House! I've told all my friends in San Jose, Costa Rica about it. We stayed in the 2nd floor apartment. You can share this 6-person apartment but we booked it all to ourselves since we were traveling with our 9-year old daughter. The price was still amazing in comparison to the other surrounding hotels/resorts. Katie (owner/operator) was awesome! She was fantastically helpful via email prior to arriving and during our stay. We loved being in the middle of town next to the local church and play area.....a quaint area of San Juan del Sur. The noise level wasn't bad considering being in town. The apartment had everything you'd need....fully equipped kitchen, clean bedrooms with wardrobes or shelving, 2 bathrooms, and an awesome balcony with a hammock. LOVED it!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TeamGrieveforGod
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from staying here for two nights and we were very pleased. I have read through the previous comments and clearly they have improved on these as the sheets were comfy and clean and there was someone around at all times to assist us with anything we needed. We were on the third floor with 'flat mates' one of our two nights. The kitchen area and living area are shared and gorgeous. The cleaning lady came everyday. The hammock on the shared terrace is comfy and relaxing with view of the sunset over the ocean. One night we enjoyed the sunset from the rooftop terrace with some homemade cocktails and it was wonderful! But the main kicker, friends we met from Australia were staying at a hostel much farther from town in a dorm and they actually paid more than we did! This spot is central, great for the budget and very relaxing. We were very nervous about traveling to Nicaragua but felt very safe once there.

Room Tip: For just a bit extra per night you can have a private bathroom!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna R
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed at La Terraza for 10 nights and loved it. The apartment was super clean, the common areas are cleaned every single day and I had a nice big bathroom in my room. The owners were so kind and friendly. It was low season and I was able to just show up on their doorstep with no reservation which was great. If I ever return to San Juan I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JennaA528
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

This guesthouse effectively has two apartments, with three rooms in each apartment: one room has a private bathroom and the other two share a bathroom. We stayed in the room with a private bathroom; as it was low season, we ended up having the entire place to ourselves for $22 a night and made a lot of use of the living room and hammock in the communal area. I agree with others that this would be perfect for a family or a group of friends who could take all 3 rooms and have the whole place to themselves- the overall cost would be much less than renting out an apartment, with the same result. There is a roof terrace with great views of SJDS and the balcony is the perfect spot to hang out and relax with a book. The owners were very friendly and helpful and the location is perfect- right in the middle of all the restaurants and just a couple of minutes to the beach. I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 because I thought the apartment got a little hot and it could do with having air conditioning instead of just fans, but overall I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed in Room 6 for two nights at $22 per night. Shared bathroom and disrupted sleep that comes with the next room taking a shower at 4am. Fan only and a little uncomfortable at this time of year with humidity nudging 80%. Having said that this would be an ideal place for a long term stay or a group traveling that were to take all 3 room on each floor. Kitchen and lounge area a bonus and hammock on each balcony. Roof top terrace bare but a nice place to catch a breeze in a deck chair. Very central. Owner is English speaking. Good security with you having a key to the front door, the floor door and your bedroom door. Cold water only but not a problem given the heat. Walking distance from Rivas bus...head straight for one block and pretty much on the corner as you turn right towards the beach (opposite park and cathedral)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo