“Best of All Worlds - Stay Here!!”
Review of Casa De Olas

and 1 more site!
Casa De Olas
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. I was traveling solo so I did not want to book a fancy hotel where I would not meet many people. I also did not want a hostel that was just a non-stop party. After reading reviews in TA, I decided on Casa de Olas - and I am sure glad I did!

Everyone was so friendly at Casa de Olas and it is very easy to meet people. The daily supper is served family style - everyone sits at the table and enjoys it together. I would definitely recommend partaking in this supper, if not just for the company, but also for the food itself. The meals were delicious. The first night I was there, we had a great lobster dinner. On the last night I was there it was Canadian Thanksgiving. I was the only Canadian staying there but Fred and Carla (the Aussie Owners) did the best as was possible in Nicaragua to recreate a Thanksgiving dinner.

The hotel was great. I booked a double room and it was nicer than any hotel rooms I have stayed in in Central America. The pool and views are amazing. And the bar is a great place to have a few. As for partying, the Naked Tiger is right next door. I could party there when I wanted and come back to Casa de Olas to rehab!

Definitely stay here – you’ll never regret it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Canadian_Hobo77

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We heard great reviews from other travellers we met and can say that we were not one bit disappointed. Our double room was beautiful and serviced daily. Our room opened onto a beautiful infinity pool with one of the most stunning views and breath-taking sunsets you will ever see. We chilled at the hostel and spent time surfing at the beach. They make some seriously delicious home-food and the owners are lovely and warm.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua J
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Beautiful spot. Yes it's a way from the main town but if you'd done any research you'd know this.

Really social hostel with group meals every night that are delicious. The bar area is also a great place to talk with other travellers and collect friends for onward travel like we did. Nice to swim in the pool too.

Few downsides, room was nice but really hot. There were three of us in our room and the fan was either on two of us or one. Even with the fan on isolate we were too far apart for it to get all of us so we took turns in boiling. In defence we could have asked for another fan and we may have got one but we didn't ask. Fred and Carla are lovely people and we had a great time with them but I hope some time in the future they are in a position to have someone manage the hostel for them so they can relax al they like. Disrupting them can be a bit daunting in their home.

Also, although I loved playing with Buzz the monkey, he'd be better off in a refuge with people that know how to treat monkeys, not with drunk backpackers.

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 8 October 2012

No hostel i have experienced in my last 8 months of travel even comes close to the amazing casa de olas! For $11 a night i have been welcomed into a home away from home by the most lovely and generous aussie hosts 'Fred and Carla'. They definitely made my time there something to remember! This hostel is like a resort with the best sunsets in nicaragua which you can watch from their new jacuzzi coming off the infinity pool! If your after something relaxing you will not have to leave this paradise as they put on the most friendly, delicious 'family dinners' each night and free breakfast. We were able to enjoy drinks around the bar and on quieter nights enjoy a movie on their big projector screen. After casa's bar closes, if your into partying you can take the 1 minute stroll next door to naked tiger (the party hostel), but still come back for a good quiet sleep. If in san juan, whether your a backpacker, a couple, honeymooners or a family, you would be crazy to go past Casa de Olas! A place where i stayed much, much longer then planned and will definitely be back again. I can't wait to enjoy their very soon to come outdoor sunday 'aussie spit roasts'. I have heard the plans and it is going to be amazing!!!
Thanks Fred, Carla, Belinda and Buzz (the ever so friendly pet monkey) for the best time! It was definitely be something to remember (-:

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just frikkin amazing. Gorgeous rooms, amazing pool, a sweet jacuzzi, top-notch food, cheap drinks and a fun but tranquilo atmosphere. Fred and Carla are fantastic hosts who go the extra mile to make their guests feel welcome. Dodge the Naked Tiger (it's right next door if you want to party) and stay here. It's the best decision you'll make. And I haven't even mentioned the tame monkey...

Room Tip: Get Room One if you can - big double with ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dillm
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is the nicest hostel I have ever stayed in. I never review hostels but people need to know about this gem of a place. Fred,Carla and Bee Fred are legends.They treat you like family. The $7 dinners are the best feeds you'll have backpacking. We ate there every night and were spolied by homemade battered fish and chips,sunday roast with awesome gravy,steak night and a curry night. Cant believe we left on Lobster night! Everyone sits down for dinner at a long table so its a great way to meet people. You also get desert and free breakfast.

We were meant to stay in the Naked tiger but it was booked out so checked in here instead(just next door). Naked Tiger is much more of a party hostel and they dont mind you coming over to party so if you stay in casa de olas you get the best of both worlds. Casa de Olas bar closes at 11 so after having a few drinks or watching a dvd you can walk over to naked tiger(200metres away).

I Couldnt recommend this place more highly. It used to be a couples retreat but it has been changed to a hostel so all the facilities are finished to a very high standard. The pool is amazing and they are building a Jacuzzi which should be up and in the next few days.

View from hostel is awesome too. Its a 25min walk or 5min car journey into town but Fred is more than happy to drop you down in the morning, Dont be put off by this as you wont want to leave the hostel anyway,certaintly not for food.

Fred and Carla wishing you all the best with the hostel, this really is a little slice of heaven

Michael

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MikeyH1985
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

We found Pontus down in town and got a lift up to the hostel without a reservation. We were warmly greeted by Carla and Fred and given a tour and choice of beds/rooms.

We stayed in a four-bed dorm with beautifully simple en suite bathroom. Carla and Fred have done a great job building and decorating the place and it is far more hotel than hostel. The bunks were super comfy with nice white linen.

It is a great place to relax and unwind...there are hammocks, and infinity pool, movies and Carla whips up a mean Cuba libre and regals you with stories that will have you in stitches in no time.

The family style dinners are a great idea...ask Carla to make lemon merangue pie. You won't be disappointed. Breakfast of banana pancakes were a hit, too.

Getting up and down to down is ok if you're flexible with timing etc. or you can talk your way onto a naked tiger (next door hostel) shuttle. Beware, they might make you pay, or just have a drink in their bar!

Thanks for a lovely stay, it really was like a home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2012