“Amazing!”
Review of Casa De Olas

and 1 more site!
Casa De Olas
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My friends and I arrived at Casa Del Olas around mid-feb and it undoubtedly one of the best decisions we made. The owners, Carla and Fred are amazing and defiantly know how to enjoy themselves alongside the amazing view and the staff. The nightly family cooked dinners are affordable and some of the best food we had in San Juan Del Sur. The free shuttles throughout the day, down to the local shops was super convenient. I personally also enjoyed the tab system that operated here and found it easy to relax on the nights I didn't feel like partying, as the bar closes at 10pm and Naked Tiger is located next door and is open until late. I would suggest arriving early if you wish to secure a spot before Sunday Funday. I hope one day I'll be back here and I'll defiantly be making sure that any of my Australian friends who come through Nicaragua will be staying here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Casa De Olas

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Defiantly a young persons place but older people could still enjoy it. I had way too much fun here starting to drink at 8am hahaha. The owners are an aussie couple from Noosa, they treated me a bit like a son. The monkey is not super friendly but is nice enough. You must stay here for Sunday fun day. The only problem I had was bed bugs, I got eaten alive! The people cleared the room and sprayed everything immediately which fixed the problem. If you don't want to drink maybe don't stay here but if you do then defiantly do!

Room Tip: Check if the awesome cat is sleeping under your bed someone found kittens once.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived here at the end of December planning on staying for a maximum of two weeks... That turned into a further two weeks and then some. Fred, Carla & the Casa staff couldn't have made us feel more at home and were very accommodating. Luckily for us the opportunity came up to work there and we decided that seeing as we loved it, it would be worth while.

As a guest the staff were brilliant, from the bar tenders to the girls in the kitchen everyone was welcoming and accommodating. For $11 a night you have a bathroom, a comfy, clean bed that has an enclosed mattress protector on it to prevent bedbugs in the bed and a hearty breakfast (either two decent sized banana pancakes with some fruit, 2 scrambled/fried eggs and toast with fruit or eggs and toast with gallo pinto plus free coffee available all morning). In the evenings the cooks prepare a meal which is at a set time so it means everyone can sit down together and socialise. That's how we made most of our friends in the first few weeks! The cooks are also very good and prepare some delicious meals ranging from lasagne to a Monday night roast, and it's a real roast! The hostel offers free shuttles to town every couple of hours which is great as otherwise it's $4 to get there and the beach shuttle is a fraction of the price of a taxi or shuttles from the other hostels at $5 return. The bar is fairly priced and the bar staff make sure you have a good night! An added bonus is the lovely 18m infinity pool which has beautiful views of San Juan del Sur and it's surrounding area is a perfect sunbathing spot! My friends recommended this hostel to me, they spent 2 out of 6 weeks in Central America here, and we recommend it to anyone we meet that's going to SJDS.

As staff, it's equally as great! The only downside is having to deal with awkward customers who sneak in outside drink and order glasses of ice at the bar throughout Sunday Funday, as the gentleman who left the unfair and inaccurate review below did. Realistically if the hostel wasn't great people would end up there for weeks instead of the intended few days!

We have incredible memories from our time in SJDS and cannot recommend Casa de Olas highly enough.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lmust25
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here in January and had the most amazing trip and time. This hostel really is a home. I cannot even begin to describe how great of a time I had here. The naked tiger hostel next door is no where as comparable to this hostel. The view is amazing and the people here made it truly a family. You cannot possibly have a bad time here unless your stuck up and high maintenance. Chill out have a beer and get to know the people here.I dont understand why people complain about the tab system. I thought it was genius. I never had to carry cash on me so I could swim all day and get drinks without a hassle. Fred is a genius for making this home for travellers and I applaud him for making this truly a home away from home. I cannot wait to come back, it actually pains me that I didnt stay here longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If I could give this hostel 0 stars, I would. In the past few months I have been backpacking and stayed in all manner of hostels, but this has unquestionably been the worst hostel experience since I have started my journeys.

This hostel works on a tab system, which seemingly is easily abused. I ordered a total of 5 drinks during my stay, only received four of them and was then hit with a large bill for approximately 14 drinks. As much as I may enjoy the odd tipple, I did not consume 14 drinks between the hours of 12 and 2pm, especially as I spent half of that time in my room. Because of the timing of my checkout, a taxi was outside when I went to pay and thus I was unable to even really protest the charges. When I tried to explain this to Fred, he was too stubborn to accept that there had possibly been a mistake, and instead suggested I wait around for the barman to wake up from his intoxicated slumber - not really an option with a taxi outside. When I suggested that we meet in the middle as a compromise, Fred refused to accept any wrongdoing on behalf of his staff, or the possibility of another hostel guest ordering drinks under my name. When I mentioned that really all I could do was leave a review warning other travellers about this, Fred effectively laughed and asked if I was threatening him. He then said "that's ok, we need some bad reviews anyway." Fred's arrogance seemed to have no bounds, and his way of dealing with the whole situation was farcical. Furthermore, I discovered that I was not the only recipient of the phantom drinks tab, with 3 of my friends explaining the same thing happened to them during their stays. This problem could be circumvented if the hostel allowed people to pay cash - sadly they do not.

This hostel lists its price as $11 per night. Be warned that the hostel is actually $12 night, due to a compulsory charge for the drinking water facilities. It's not a big expense, but it is rather deceptive pricing.

One girl at the hostel had bedbugs, I am not sure if the hostel seemed very concerned about dealing with it but the individual then resorted to sleeping on a bed outside by the swimming pool to try and avoid the bedbugs. The staff didn't seem particularly concerned about her well-being or lack of sleep.

The hostel is also not in a great location, with the rest of the San Juan traveller community being located in town about ten minutes drive or 120 cordoba taxi away. This gets frustrating when you either just miss a shuttle, or spontaneously decide you want to go and see your friends. The last shuttle is at 9.30, meaning if you like to go out you will be paying for a taxi, when you are already staying in the most expensive hostel in the area.

Furthermore, the free breakfast is a rather pitiful affair. The banana pancakes and fruit consist of two small pancakes, and the fruit was one microscopic piece of pineapple and an equally pathetically sized piece of watermelon.

The best thing that this hostel has going for it is that toilet paper can be flushed down the toilets. It's a shame this whole hostel doesn't fit in the toilet bowl.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank natedizzle88
Casa-De-Olas, Owner at Casa De Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. While I wouldn't consider this balanced or whole truthful, we do know why you wrote it. If anyone has concerns regarding this review please contact us directly.

Regards,

CDO

Reviewed 3 February 2014

One of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. We stayed there for Christmas and new years and honestly didnt want to leave. Carla and Fred go out of their way to make you feel at home. The food there is great, you can party at the hostel next door at The Naked Tiger anytime you want, the pool is immaculately clean, the rooms are spotless... You get the idea.
The view of the sunset over the pool is something you wont forget.
I would recommend this hostel in a heart beat to anyone going to San Juan Del Sur.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I rocked up on a Friday afternoon just intime to catch a stunning sunset over the casa de olas infinity pool and fell in love instantly. It's a great location up on the hill with lovely views, and next door to naked tiger if you want a wider choice of food to keep you going til the CDO family dinner. Free breakfast and cheap drinks too. It's a total party hostel at the weekend, but most of San Juan is.. That's why most travellers go. The shuttles to town aren't too bad to work around, and if all else fails a cab doesn't cost much. Fred and Karla were awesome hosts too, getting drunk with us at the bar and there for a great chat if you need it too, best owners ever! Recommend to anyone- Make sure to get there early if you want to stay over the weekend, and opt for the smaller dorms if you can!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends