“Beautiful views, great hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Palmas B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Las Palmas B&B
Sheffield
“Beautiful views, great hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in the king bedroom for 3 days and it was superb, a very comfortable bed, you could lay with the balcony doors open and listen to the waves hitting the beach. The views from the bedroom, verandah and pool are all great. The pool is a real highlight, I really enjoyed swimming in it (it is 44 feet long) and just sitting by it having a drink and taking in the view. The verandah is a great place to sit any time of day, providing shade and breezes. It was only a short walk down to San Juan, where we tried restaurants suggested by Steve and Yasmin. They kindly gave us a lift to one restuarant and we joined them another night at El Colibri ( a great restaurant). The breakfasts are the best we had, varied, tasty and filling, served by Marjorie with a smile. It is a very realxing spot but as others have said what realy makes it are Yasmin and Steve. They are great company and we enjoyed talking to them about a whole range of things and also laughing a lot! Go you will love it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaMSheffield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Yasmin and Steve's warm welcome was just the prelude to our delightful three-day stay. We felt more than welcome in their beautiful home and relaxing pool area. Satisfying breakfasts, engaging conversation , quiet moments in the leafy hammock area, canine company and
of course the incredible view over San Juan del Sur complemented the very comfortable room and private bath. But perhaps the best part was unexpectedly finding new friends who generously shared their home and time with us, helping us to make sense of what we were seeing and experiencing in Nicaragua. We so enjoyed our time at Las Palmas, and highly recommend this B and B to travellers who not only enjoy first-rate accommodation, but also appreciate the opportunity to learn about their chosen destination in a social setting.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Las Palmas over the new year period and gave us an absolutely brilliant start to our holiday. Steve and Yasmin are the very friendly and helpful owners who go out of their way to make you feel at home...and boy is it a wonderful home! The bedroom is clean and tidy and just what you would want as a home away from home- hot water and air con all provided. As guests you have free use of their pool which overlooks the whole of San Juan Del Sur so stunning views day and night. As we stayed over new year Steve and Yasmin invited to spend the evening with them and their friends at a restaurant and new year's bash- going out of their way to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. Yasmin arranged a zipwire trip locally for us and told us all the best places to eat and drink- really helpful when you only have a few days in town. The breakfasts were a highlight for me too (Yasmin I think your Tamale was literally THE best thing I ate in our entire 3 week trip- I have been craving one ever since!).

The B&B is in a perfect location with a panoramic view of the town but fantastic to be such a short walk away from it too.

We are so glad that we chose here to stay and can only echo everyone's great reviews...would advise you to book without hesitation!

Louise & Chris
x

1 Thank Londonweez79
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Las Palmas for a week during Xmas from dec 19 to the 26. It was our first time in Nicaragua and our first BnB. Staying with Steve and Yaz made the trip for sure! For the price of an average BnB we got a nice room with a comfortable bed, TV and our own large bathroom. But with Steve and Yaz, we also got a great staff that cooked wonderful meals, a serene and clean pool, a nicely shaded hammock area, a great veranda with what some people in town said was the best view of San Juan, our own gated parking area for our vehicle which They had found for us at half the price of Alamo or National. And we got our own guard dogs, Atlas and London. The dogs were great, they’d greet us when we awoke, lay with us at the pool and on the veranda during siestas and greet us at the gate when we came home late at night.

Yaz took my girlfriend shopping, brought her to meet the staffs families, give them Xmas gifts and to see how they live. While Steve and his son Eric who was in town visiting took me surfing to three different beach breaks, Maderas, Ramonso and Hermosa. Steve even lent me one of his own boards till I had found my own in town. They also offered to take us on day trips to see the volcanos, see the lake, and visit the town of Grenada. We declined but with their guidance did it all ourselves. Everything is within an hour drive give or take for traffic.

We met so many people thru Steve and Yaz that when it was time to move down into the city we felt like we lived there. We even were asked to go for dinner with them and their new guests to El Calibre on new years, and later met up with them and a group of locals for a new year’s bon fire and celebratory lighting of a Burning Man (scarecrow filed with random homemade fireworks, Yikes!) Where at midnight I asked my now fiancée to marry me :)

Staying at Las Palmas started and ended our trip on the perfect notes to make for the perfect trip. My fiancée and I highly recommend it!! Hopefully you too will have as good if not better a time staying with Steve and Yaz. We left their friends and wanting to stay and move in next to them!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queen room but the King is deffinatly woth the money!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JustinComartin
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We planned 3 nights in San Juan del Sur at the end of a 12-day vacation in Nicaragua. We were in town right after the busy New Year's holiday, and appreciated that things had settled down during our time there. (I picture SJdS as the relaxed - admittedly growing - beach town, and would not enjoy it at a time when it's packed with merry-makers.)

We selected Las Palmas due to their great reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not let down in the slightest. Prior to our trip, I communicated regularly with Steve and Yaz (the owners). They were incredibly helpful in many aspects of our planning. They have a unique perspective on SJdS and Nicaragua in general - one that I believe made our stay there more enjoyable. He's from San Diego and she's a native Nicaraguan who lived in the USA for much of her life before they moved to SJdS. There are a lot of people with the dream of someday relocating outside the USA (at least part-time), and Steve and Yaz have the "been there, done that" knowledge. So...if this is of interest to you, this is an extremely valuable bonus to staying at Las Palmas. We found them to be more than willing to discuss their lives in SJdS - warts and all.

OK, so about the place itself...The location is tucked on a hillside (on the Christ statue side of the bay) with a magnificent view of the bay of SJdS and actually all the way to Costa Rica. The B&B and gardens are beautiful; Steve is quite the horticulturist. The landscaping of their property is stunning, with many varieties of palms and other tropical plants and trees. Tucked away you'll find hammocks to laze the day away, or you can take a refreshing dip in their custom pool.

We stayed in the queen suite, which is accessed from the common outdoor dining and patio area. We were the only guests there, so we didn't experience any noise from others (aside from the next-door neighbor who rose early and talked quite loudly on his phone). The room was well-appointed, very clean and comfortable. Ceiling fan and a/c if things got warm. Bathroom was good size and all functioning. There's a television in the room, but we never bothered turning it on...the views from the patio were mesmerizing enough.

We enjoyed breakfasts with Steve and Yaz each day. The meals were delicious, prepared by their talented kitchen staff. We especially enjoyed the nacatamales, which Yaz sources from a local woman. Coffee was prepared each morning, and we were able to enjoy as many cups as we desired. Prior to and after breakfast, it was relaxing just to sit in one of the comfortable rocking chairs on the patio...overlooking the town and bay. This was time to either use the wi-fi to check emails (wi-fi is both a blessing and a curse when trying to enjoy a vacation, but a welcome amenity should one desire to plug in), or to sit and visit with Steve and Yaz. They were always willing to share their experiences about Nicaragua and SJdS.

The fridge was always stocked with cold drinks (soda, beer, water) and the prices were in line with what you'd pay in town. If you purchase your own, you're welcome to place it in the fridge. They keep tabs on your beverages with a checklist on the honor system.

The caretaker and the housekeeping/kitchen staff were very friendly and helpful. They are always doing something to keep the place in tip-top condition.

One thing we especially enjoyed about Las Palmas was its location. It was outside the town proper, which gave a sense of being away from it all. But it's close enough to town for easy access to the shops, restaurants, and activities available in SJdS. It's just a few minute drive (Steve & Yaz always offered a lift when they were headed to town) or a nice walk (but be aware you'll be walking uphill on the way back from town). A taxi ride from the beachfront ran about $2/person if you wish to take a taxi back.

Steve and his son were going surfing to a nearby beach (Playa Hermosa) one day, and let me tag along. This is just another example of the service available, should you desire it. Incidentally, I've never seen a beach so large and beautiful...and so devoid of people. 2.2 miles long, very broad, and honestly no more than 6 people at any time. Like a private slice of paradise.

One thing I wanted to see in Nicaragua was howler monkeys. Steve told me about a nice hike from the house, and one morning I rose early to check it out. I didn't encounter another person for 90% of the round trip hike, but I did meet up with a troop of around 8 howler monkeys which gave me quite a show.

Yaz delivered me to the Christ statue for a nice view of the bay of SJdS, the town, the surrounding countryside, and the coast in both directions. The fact that she drove me to the top saved a big uphill climb, and I only needed to walk down from the statue.

It bears pointing out that two large dogs live on the property. We are "dog people" and always enjoy making new canine friends on our travels (it helps us when we're missing our "kids" back home). London and Atlas were very friendly, and we considered their presence a bonus to our stay. Just keep that in mind, depending on your relationship with dogs. It was mentioned to us that if guests are not as keen to dogs as we are that the dogs are kept in a separate part of the property and don't mingle with the guests. For the record, the dogs aren't the kind that bark a lot. So if you didn't see them, it's likely you wouldn't know they were there.

Finally, Steve & Yaz shared some of their top restaurant recommendations with us. We actually joined them for dinner one night (Mauricio's, where we were introduced to the owner himself - and the food was excellent) at their invitation. Just another terrific memory of our stay.

If you take the time to read the reviews here, take note that the VAST MAJORITY (nearly unanimous) give top marks to Las Palmas and Steve & Yaz as your hosts. Trust your fellow travelers. We have nothing but high marks on the property and the service, and consider ourselves to have found new friends in a beautiful part of the world to which we plan to return. When we do so, you can bet we'll plan a stay at Las Palmas if they've got a room for us.

Room Tip: If you want a more private room, reserve the king suite in advance. It's the only room that doe...
1 Thank SJH-SFSD
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We chose this B&B based on the good tripadvisor reviews. We would not return. We don't know why the other reivews are so good. The rooms were as expected, much better than any of our other Nicaragua vacations. The caretaker and maids are very friendly and helpful. Yasmin is a very nice lady and is helpful and friendly. The pool is good. Sorry to say that is the end of the pros.

Unfortunately by the time we left we were afraid to ask Steve anything because he made us feel like we were imposing on him and disturbing his relaxation time. The setup requires entering the private house to access the upstairs room, and breakfast is served with the hosts at their dining table. It is impossible to be there without having to ask Steve for something. You cannot sit on the verandah without the hosts. You cannot leave your room at night to get a drink of water because the guard dog is out. The coffee is just in a regular size pot, so forget about getting a 2nd and 3rd cup unless you want to have ask Steve to make another pot, and one morning Steve and another guest had drunk the pot of coffee and there was only half a cup left for us to share.

It would have been easier if there were some ground rules, but we kept getting the mixed message of 'ask us for anything any time' and 'don't bother me'. On top of everything, the breakfasts cooked by the maid were small. We were always quite hungry after breakfast. We had granola bars in our rooms to keep us going until we got out to an early lunch. We appreciate that the size of breakfast eaten daily by the hosts is normal, but we are big breakfast eaters and B&Bs typically have big breakfasts. Yasmin offered a bit more food which we gobbled up, but it simply was not enough. We would have happily made do with a huge basket of toast, but it was easier to go hungry than sit through Steve's reaction to us needing anything.

In spite of the comfy bed, we could not get to sleep until near dawn because of the loud disco music thumping down at the beach. We were exhausted when we left.

This is a newish B&B so the hosts are going through a learning curve. It could be a great place is Yasmin runs it by herself and figures out that guests aren't fed enough breakfast.

Room Tip: The king room is much better than than the queen room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gringoadventure
livingontheloma, Owner at Las Palmas B&B, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
As always, we appreciate reviews both positive and constructive. My husband, I, and our staff always do our utmost to insure our guests are happy and well cared for.
That being said, we are sorry that the traditional B&B setting in our home was not the venue you envisioned or desired. Communication DOES go a long way. If you had voiced your desire to sit apart from us on our veranda, or eat apart from us at the dining room table, we would have happily provided you a private space in the shade of the palm trees by the pool, or in hammocks on the shaded terraces.... We were operating on the formula we have used with all our other guests: Mi casa su casa...As our reviews state overwhelmingly, our guests enjoy the low key friendly vibe afforded by our intimate B&B, and find my husband and I to be both friendly and engaging as well as valuable sources of information regarding available activities, the best restaurants, or just learning about Nicaragua from our perspective....This is most often done, amiably, at the communal dining table.
Thank you for recognizing the excellence of our staff and comfort of our beds(U.S. beds! Yay)
As for the "disco music thumping down at the beach", perhaps you failed to understand that you arranged your stay with us during the peak holiday season, when our little town swells to several times it's normal size with revelers here to celebrate and have a good time. We are truly sorry you did not. Good luck to you in your future travels!

Regards,
Yasmin Bravo and Steve Ludwig
Owners
Tola, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

We were in San Juan del Sur in Nov 2011 and stayed at the Las Palmas. Steve and Yasmin are excellent hosts and their home and gardens are beautiful and inviting. The view from their porch is stunning! We are planning to move to San Juan del Sur and appreciated Steve and Yasmin's love of the area and sharing their experiences with us. They also introduced us to a lot of the wonderful people who have made San Juan their home. We highly recommend staying in their wonderful home and look forward to staying with them again in the future!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family