“Lucky Me”
Review of Matilda's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Matilda's
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Lucky me there is Camping Matilda’s right on the light brown sandy beach and run by an extremely lovely lady. I paid100 Córdoba’s or $4US per night for me and my tent. She has a wide variety of basic accommodation. Guest also has the use of a basic kitchen with a gas stove; small refrigerators are available for a little extra charge. There is an extremely agreeable family run restaurant just up the street they also rent surfboards. You can park an RV (no hookups) in the secure parking lot but with the road being exceedingly narrow and what it is I would not try a long one. It has a beautiful surfing and swimming beach. I highly recommend this place. There is a five unit Castaways place next door as well. I will be staying here for a while. The only internet is in down the beach and in San Juan.
I get to hear the constant soothing rhythm of the ocean waves washing up on the shore; the salty taste to the sea breeze as it blows, watching the sea birds diving for their dinner, lizards scurrying about the sand and up the trees, the hurried scamper of the hermit crabs by the hundreds. I hear the chiming of the seashells that have been strung together and decorate the palapa’s along the beach. I have seen an assortment of different colored butterflies that flit and dart about, hear the laughter and screams of enjoyment from the people playing in the waves, watching sandcastles being washed away, children discovering treasures in the sand, white puffy clouds that dance across the sharply contrasting vivid blue sky. I hear birds all over but have not been able to photograph very many and then there are even monkeys darting about the trees, all of this in the rhythm of a day at the beach here at Playa Majagual.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We planned to stay 2 night at Matilda's. We found the bathroom dirty with hairs in the shower. She clean it after we complain. The day after we asked for a change of linen BUT she said, NO we don't change linen if you don't stay at least 4 nights. WHAT??? I asked if we can check out and check in again and she replied she could help us to find a new hotel where are clean linen.

I don't know how can survive such kind of buisness nowadays.

ByeBye Matilda, no more at your place.

Room Tip: CASTAWAY ... the one before Matilda.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I love Matilda's and have stayed 4 times now. Once camping $5, once in one of their small $7 'dog houses' and once in a $9 dorm. I have never been disappointed. Majagual is by far one of my favorite beaches, with not a lot of people (if any at all) and a beautiful cliff with caves to explore. The rooms are clean and the camping area is incredible, with access to facilities and is very secure and a great view of the beach (Im not sure where the last reviewer stayed, but it doesnt sound like this spot). The hostel is owned by Nicaraguan's, which is a nice change and I like supporting local businesses. It is true that they may not speak a lot of english, but the service was incredible nevertheless. It is a peaceful place with a homey atmosphere and a nice place to get away. It is a great change from other party driven hostels, but you can also have a good time. We had a bonfire and brought a cooler of beer and had a great night. During the high season they open a small restaurant on the beach where I had the best lobster I have ever had, at a super reasonable price. The last time I went (2 days ago) they werent open because there isn't enough traffic going through. I was disappointed, but I will be back in the high season for some more!

Room Tip: The $7 room are very short and they kind of look like big dog houses. They are good for the price, a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had the pleasure of spending three great nights out at Matilda's recently and want to thank them for creating a super sweet spot to chill and get away from it all. If you are looking for a cool getaway that is affordable ($9 a night with private bath!), clean and comfy (no bugs,clean sheets, good fans), and right on the beach (killer body surfing right out front) then this is the place.
Yeah, the beer is ice cold and cheap and the food is homemade and local. What more do you want? Oh, waves lapping on the beach and monkeys in the trees...got that here too.
If you want to stay near Maderas and get out of SJSD this is a great choice for a relaxing, romantic getaway. Walk 10 minutes and you are surfing Playa Maderas and having apres beers with the fun crew at Revolucion an 3 Hermanos (both friendly, cool spots).
Have a good time! Thank me later:)

Room Tip: Learn to speak at least passable espanol. the dormitorio rooms are all good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2013

A bit of a walk in the hot sun but much better value and much more relaxing than tres hermanos. Room was clean, great quiet beach just out front! Nice to relax on the hammocks and listen to the waves. Owners are friendly. Stayed 3 nights and soul felt at peace upon leaving.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a night. The staff is friendly but don't speak any English, location is great as the beach they are on isnt busy and it's just a short walk to a surf spot. You can buy food there, it's cheap and decent. Rooms weren't very clean, the whole placed is filled with air freshened to cover up the smell of smoke. Basically if you are backpacking and you just want to be on the beach for very little cost, and you don't care about cleanliness, this is a good place. But bring your own soap

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Kalala7
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We had the pleasure of staying here for a week and felt like it was our own private beach paradise. It's on one of the nicest beaches I have seen in Nicaragua and within walking distance of many more, and all with less than 10 people a day at the time I was there. White sand, blue water, paradise, howler mokeys climbing through the trees. All within less than a 10 minute walk from the Maderas surf area, which is a rambunctious party scene on a rocky shore. Antonio and Matilda are the best and were very helpful. We stayed in a hut with a private bathroom. Simple, but clean and comfortable. Next door you have a little cafe and around the corner you have another restaurant. You are a little out there, but if you are looking for relaxation and peace and quiet this place can't be beat. We hope to get back there soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple