“Home away from home”
Review of Casa Ariki

Casa Ariki
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The hosts Sara and Baldo are great people and run a very nice hostel with many additional services.
My room was large, clean with a comfy bed and option of fan or AC.

The house is just close enough to town to allow easy access to everything but far enough away that you can escape what some nights becomes overwhelming noise.

I felt right at home, like a friend rather than a client.
The morning coffee is straight from the family plantation. the wifi is solid, laundry services in house. And you will enjoy any time you get interacting with the hosts. Baldo is apparently an really good surfer but I missed the opportunity to get a lesson with him- next time.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 April 2013

We took the large room with the AC and private bath. Reasonable price. Very clean. Owners were helpful with information. We stayed here two nights and were very sad to leave the AC. Close to the center of town, on a safe/quiet street. Lots of perros son popos (small salamanders) but that keeps the ants away. Wifi worked excellently too. We didn't have any complaints.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

You will not regret staying here! I was nervous at first because I was thinking that I wanted to avoid the typical "budget" hostel-type lodging situation in lieu of a more posh hotel, but this place FAR exceeded my expectations. I would go back here in a second, not only because you get to stay in well-kept rooms for a fraction of the price, but you get the benefit of hosts who make it feel like home! I felt safe and comfortable in their home-turned-guesthouse and could not believe what a gem we had found for such a bargain price. The only downside is no pool, but in SJDS you really don't need one - go to the beach! Sarah and Baldo are AMAZING hosts and I felt like they really looked out for us and went above and beyond to ensure that we had a fantastic experience there (especially when a few things went wrong on our trip.) They hooked us up with ziplining, surfing lessons, and transportation to all of these, and they were full of great advice. I really can't say enough great things about the quality of lodgings (extremely clean, quiet, at a perfect distance off the main street to allow for partying in the evening followed by a peaceful night's rest!) You can walk to all the hotspots in SJDS very easily from their location. I only wish I could have taken Shaka the dog home with me! Thank you, Sarah and Baldo, for making our stay in SJDS so memorable. You two are wonderful people and I feel so lucky to have come across Casa Ariki. THANK YOU!!!

Room Tip: Room 1 with a private bathroom was perfect, two sets of bunk beds and a full(?) sized bed. Very comf...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed 25 February 2013

So close to town and the best hosts you could ever ask for! The rooms are very comfortable and the AC keeps things cool in the hot weather. And if you want to do any exploring, they'll point you in the right direction

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Casa Ariki feels like home! Comfortable, Clean, Warm and Welcoming! Sarah and Baldo are the perfect Hosts! Info on anything you might need, the perfect SJDS goodnight sleep location, and just the right distance from the center of town. I wish I could have stayed longer..but will be back for sure!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I started travelling from Colorado to Nicaragua in April 2012. On my second trip down i got to meet the owners of Casa Ariki with my visit to San Juan. Turns out, not only will you be staying in clean, air conditioned rooms, but Baldo and Sarah (owners) will take you on cool private tours (surfing, repelling,etc). And, you will learn a ton about the history of Nicaragua while hanging with some really cool people.
Fresh coffee, internet, and a killer location make this an easy stay for a couple of days in San Juan. There is a special place in my heart for Casa Ariki and no doubt will be back soon!
Dan, Colorado

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Casa Ariki is close to everything but just far enough away from the noise and nightlife to allow for a good sleep. I missed out on breakfast (looked good!) as we chose to experience the market instead. Baldo's rapelling tour operates from the property and ziplines pick up there as well. Both tours are a lot of fun and recommended, each with amazing views and a fun time. This was our first tourist destination in Nicaragua after spending time in remote locations and we left very happy. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thanks very much for your review! We enjoyed having you and your group stay with us, please come back any time!