“One week at Rosa Silva Spanish School in San Juan del Sur”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Spanish School House Rosa Silva
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I went to San Juan del Sur knowing a few words in Spanish - just what I had learned in a 4-hour crash course in Granada with Raúl at the Granada School of Spanish I'd taken 4 days prior; I wanted to be close to the ocean, he recommended me to Rosa Silva School of Spanish in SJDS.
I studied at Rosa Silva Spanish School in San Juan del Sur for a week and really wish I could have stayed at least one more week in order to improve my Spanish with the local community. I really enjoyed my class and my great teacher and loved going to class in the morning and enjoying the beach in the afternoon. Being recommended (should have been required) to speak only Spanish at the school was fun and helped me build some confidence with my speaking ability. The administrative staff was wonderful and very patient with my basic Spanish. Breakfast and lunch at the school with the other students were in a relaxed & friendly atmosphere - food was great & an excellent opportunity to practice Spanish around a good meal. I was a bit perplexed by the lack of handouts, I had to listen and write down everything. I would have preferred having written notes for each class even if I had to pay an additional fee so - I think the learning process makes it easier. Regardless of that, I learned a ton, and had a blast doing so. I also enjoyed meeting people from all over the world.
Thanks to Rosa who had planned a get together dinner with all the students and teachers on Thursday - a Nicaraguan cultural dance performance at El Timón with a troupe of young dancers in beautiful costumes performing different styles of Nicaraguan folk dances. We had a lovely time!
I'd recommend Rosa Silva School of Spanish in San Juan del Sur to anyone looking to study Spanish. Plus, it doesn't hurt to be 1 1/2 block from a great beach - I'll be back! Micheline.

3  Thank Micheline C

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I really enjoyed my week of classes with Oscar at Rosa Silva's Spanish School. He is a grad student studying to teach English, so he is great at teaching, teaches primarily in Spanish but can translate or explain in English when you get stuck, and he is a great conversationalist. We would spend the majority of our classes discussing Nicaraguan culture, politics, and history, comparing and contrasting with my experiences in the US, and learning lots of new vocabulary and grammar through conversational practice. This gave me a lot of confidence to speak more Spanish when traveling.

2  Thank mgriffard
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

It was the 1st place we walked into and the sales pitch sucked us in. It was cheap, $110 each with our own teacher. (There was 2 of us). Told we could start our five days the next day, a Wednesday, and have Sunday off. That suited us great. But we were also told we would have quiet peaceful rooms upstairs, we didn't. I was taught by Raul, in his front office, where during my class time he tended to everybody that came to the door, rented out motos, and answered all phone calls. Both teachers were late 3/5 days, and at times seemed disinterested in what they were doing. It's not our first Spanish class, and we know there are better ones out there.

3  Thank toohotty
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We studied at Rosa Silva Spanish School for two weeks. My son is 7 years old and had a fun time with his instructor Juan. Juan spoke English and made learning fun. My son came away saying that he liked school and was excited to keep learning Spanish. I worked with Juniet who was very easy to work with and kept me talking Spanish. The building the school is in is very basic and simple. The homestay they set up for us was had several children my son's age and added greatly to learning Spanish. I give them a very high recommendation.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

When you go to this school ask for my profesora, Belkis Guillen -- although she assures me that all the teachers at the school are great -- I had an amazingly fun time in class with her and learned a ton of Spanish and a lot about the town and culture too.

This school / multi-family house / second hand store is classic San Juan del Sur. The owner, Rosa Silva is incredibly welcoming and nice and once you are paired with a tutor or a class, it's very easy to set class times that meet your needs, or just do a short, one-time tutorial on the basics. Don't be afraid if you speak no Spanish -- they will help you through the process, they are honest and genuinely enjoy sharing Spanish with visitors.

Belkis and I met up about 10 or 11 times and since I was traveling alone for much of my visit, she took me around to see some of the cool, hidden, local stores, and we also went a few times for dinner and to get Margaritas at the local hang out -- best way to practice Spanish ever -- I don't know why they don't do it that way in high school. :)

In addition to being a great tutor in vocab, grammar, common phrases, etc. Belkis is also incredibly knowledgeable about Nicaraguan politics, history and the history and inner workings of San Juan del Sur - it was a great education on this amazing little town.

Having classes with Belkis absolutely made my visit to San Juan del Sur -- I could not recommend it more highly. I learned Spanish, got the inside scoop and really experienced this cool little beach side town.

3  Thank ak33