“Great atmosphere...”
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

Yajure Surf Hostel
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location, chill atmosphere, clean rooms and good prices. Met tons of awesome people here and would recommend it if you want to meet nice, welcoming people and have fun and party with, but also chill out during the day or at night. I partied there a couple times but it definitely isn't a "party" hostel, which is ok by me. The next few things are tough to word, because all in all, it was a good experience.

Like the previous reviewer stated, I would beware of the way the owner, Chely, immediately takes a liking to young female guests. Its great to be friendly with your guests, and he was very helpful, but the way he acts around certain girls tends to make many people uncomfortable. The moodiness and immaturity he displayed was also a bit much to handle. Also, keep an eye on your tab! Drinks tend to add up quickly, even when you don't ask for them. We got this all sorted out, though. He will definitely make you feel welcome; just hope he respects your boundaries! Also had several of our friends who were storing food in the kitchen have it go missing; kind of disheartening for backpackers on a budget.
Stay here if you want a great atmosphere; just a heads up on the few items mentioned above!

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Yajure Surf Hostel

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've been really debating the best way to write this review.

There are many great things about this hostel: the price is great, I loved the location across the bridge from town and the owner is really friendly and helpful. The rooms are small and most have a shared bathroom. They provide a/c at night which is a big plus. I also really liked the vibe of the place - lots of people get together to cook dinner and everyone was respectful. There are hammocks, a slack line, a swimming pool and a ping pong table to pass away the time.

There are two definite down sides to this hotel, in my opinion: there is a disco directly across the bridge from this hostel. Even at 2:30am, we could hear the thumping base through the walls of our room. The other things is the cause of my dilemma: the owner is clearly overly friendly with the attractive young women, and sometimes made me (a complete bystander) feel uncomfortable at the way he was freely touching them minutes after they arrived. I personally only had positive interactions with him, but I did overhear other young ladies talk about their experiences that left me feeling like I needed to mention this in my review.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was the highlight of Central America for me.

I only planned to stay for 3 days, but each day I couldn't justify leaving as I was having such a fun time! I only left because I had to make flights further north.

Chely the guy who owns the place is super relaxed and it feels like he is just one of the boys hanging out rather than the owner. This creates a homely atmosphere where you feel free to do whatever you like (within reason of course).

The crowd staying here was really fun. Each night there'd be a general discussion about where people wanted to go surfing and the next morning we'd all jump into taxis and surf at one of the local beaches all day.

The surf in terms of quality to crowds was better than anywhere I have surfed before. It wasn't uncommon to get 20-30 decent waves in a 2 hour session. I was never sharing a peak with more than 6 other people, which meant plenty of waves for everyone! If that wasn't good enough the wind was off-shore 98% of the time I was in the water!

I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chrismck84
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Best hostel I've ever been to. Great staff, a mellow atmosphere and the friendliest owner who made it impossible to leave! There's a great quality kitchen for everyone to make their own meals, as a group or individuals and I was even impressed by a authentic Argentina meal provided by one of the amazing chefs/employees at the hostel. I awoke to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. Absolute paradise! Definitely coming back here. Chely, you're awesome!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica T
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Backpackers going through Nicaragua I would highly recommend Yajure hostel in San Juan del Suer. I didn't know a single thing about the the town nor about the hostel and actually the location is amazing and (Chely) the owner is a really good guy 'Super Pana' as we used to call him. If you are crossing from Costa Rica and you plan to go to San Juan del Sur, you tell the driver or ask in the street to guide you to the bridge (the only one in town).

Enjoy your stay!!!
Nicaragua es tuani

Room Tip: You can Sleep wherever you want even at the living room while you have an amazing view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Arnaldo V
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I went to San Juan del Sur with friends and stayed at Yajure for one night. It was a really nice experience: the location is beeeautiful, the rooms were clean and the hosts were super friendly. My friends and I had a great time, and Chely was very helpful in arranging a trip to a nearby beach for us. I definitely recommend this hostel if you're looking for an affordable place that does a good job offering you the basics for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vmilost
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and my friends stayed here and we had pretty bad experience.
Hostel itself is nice, has a swimming pool and it's pretty spacious. Dorms are ok too.
Hostel is located at the end of the street and it's about 10 minutes walk to town. Problem here
is that section of the street is dark and people frequently get robbed here. It usually happens later at night. Some people from hostel got robbed when we were staying here.
Our biggest issue here was the owner who seems to be very moody. One minute he seems to be nice, next one he's yelling at everyone for no reason. We felt very anxious in his presence. He's constantly trying to pick up girls from hostel (he tried with my friend too). He was also very drunk one night and made inappropriate remarks about some of his guests. We moved to Casa Oro after few days and had great time there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends