“great experience”
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Yajure Surf Hostel
Rochester, New York
“great experience”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

A bunch of friends and I stayed here for a weekend, and we couldn't have been more pleased. The service was outstanding, the hostel was clean and well-maintained, and the amenities were awesome. The location is awesome - right on the beach, so the view was spectacular, and not too far from the night life in town. I would highly recommend giving this place a visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location, chill atmosphere, clean rooms and good prices. Met tons of awesome people here and would recommend it if you want to meet nice, welcoming people and have fun and party with, but also chill out during the day or at night. I partied there a couple times but it definitely isn't a "party" hostel, which is ok by me. The next few things are tough to word, because all in all, it was a good experience.

Like the previous reviewer stated, I would beware of the way the owner, Chely, immediately takes a liking to young female guests. Its great to be friendly with your guests, and he was very helpful, but the way he acts around certain girls tends to make many people uncomfortable. The moodiness and immaturity he displayed was also a bit much to handle. Also, keep an eye on your tab! Drinks tend to add up quickly, even when you don't ask for them. We got this all sorted out, though. He will definitely make you feel welcome; just hope he respects your boundaries! Also had several of our friends who were storing food in the kitchen have it go missing; kind of disheartening for backpackers on a budget.
Stay here if you want a great atmosphere; just a heads up on the few items mentioned above!

• Stayed July 2013
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've been really debating the best way to write this review.

There are many great things about this hostel: the price is great, I loved the location across the bridge from town and the owner is really friendly and helpful. The rooms are small and most have a shared bathroom. They provide a/c at night which is a big plus. I also really liked the vibe of the place - lots of people get together to cook dinner and everyone was respectful. There are hammocks, a slack line, a swimming pool and a ping pong table to pass away the time.

There are two definite down sides to this hotel, in my opinion: there is a disco directly across the bridge from this hostel. Even at 2:30am, we could hear the thumping base through the walls of our room. The other things is the cause of my dilemma: the owner is clearly overly friendly with the attractive young women, and sometimes made me (a complete bystander) feel uncomfortable at the way he was freely touching them minutes after they arrived. I personally only had positive interactions with him, but I did overhear other young ladies talk about their experiences that left me feeling like I needed to mention this in my review.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was the highlight of Central America for me.

I only planned to stay for 3 days, but each day I couldn't justify leaving as I was having such a fun time! I only left because I had to make flights further north.

Chely the guy who owns the place is super relaxed and it feels like he is just one of the boys hanging out rather than the owner. This creates a homely atmosphere where you feel free to do whatever you like (within reason of course).

The crowd staying here was really fun. Each night there'd be a general discussion about where people wanted to go surfing and the next morning we'd all jump into taxis and surf at one of the local beaches all day.

The surf in terms of quality to crowds was better than anywhere I have surfed before. It wasn't uncommon to get 20-30 decent waves in a 2 hour session. I was never sharing a peak with more than 6 other people, which meant plenty of waves for everyone! If that wasn't good enough the wind was off-shore 98% of the time I was in the water!

I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank chrismck84
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Best hostel I've ever been to. Great staff, a mellow atmosphere and the friendliest owner who made it impossible to leave! There's a great quality kitchen for everyone to make their own meals, as a group or individuals and I was even impressed by a authentic Argentina meal provided by one of the amazing chefs/employees at the hostel. I awoke to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. Absolute paradise! Definitely coming back here. Chely, you're awesome!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica T
bxl
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Backpackers going through Nicaragua I would highly recommend Yajure hostel in San Juan del Suer. I didn't know a single thing about the the town nor about the hostel and actually the location is amazing and (Chely) the owner is a really good guy 'Super Pana' as we used to call him. If you are crossing from Costa Rica and you plan to go to San Juan del Sur, you tell the driver or ask in the street to guide you to the bridge (the only one in town).

Enjoy your stay!!!
Nicaragua es tuani

Room Tip: You can Sleep wherever you want even at the living room while you have an amazing view