“Great facilities, price and location. Terrible management”
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Yajure Surf Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Great facilities, price and location. Terrible management”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A great place to stay but Chelly, the owner, messed up our booking, as he also did for several other people that we spoke to. He was pretty rude and argumentative about this when we arrived. Half of our party had to stay somewhere else. Might help if Chelly sobered up once in a while so he could actually remember the conversations he had.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank kazsto2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Halle, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were only in SJDS for a couple of days. The first night we spent at one of the popular party hostels and hated it. Walking along the beach we spotted Yajure and spontaneously decided to check out of our hostel and spend the rest of our stay in Yajure. It was fantastic. The owner Chelly is super nice and helpful, the hostel is clean, has one of the best kitchens I have ever seen at a hostel with everything you need to make food and the whole atmosphere is just super chill. The location is perfect as it is right on the beach and you can enjoy relaxing hours in one of the hammocks or just hang by the pool. I highly recommend Yajure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bora C
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Overall the hostel is not bad- cheap prices and fun travelers to converse with. Unfortunately, I had $150 stolen from my backpack one day while I was in the hostel, and two of my other friends had money taken from them as well. If you are going to stay here, make sure to bring locks to put your valuables in, as even our private room did not have a working lock (what a joke). Once I brought this up to the owner he deflected responsibility and was useless in helping me. Definitely would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Anuj C
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Yajure was a great hostel. It felt a little exclusive to to the owner's friends, but everyone was super aloha and friendly. The owner, Chely, is by far one of the coolest people I've ever met. It's in a great location and the staff is very helpful to travelers. Come here if you like surfers, reggae and a good time. I highly recommend Yajure.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were lucky enough to find Yajure during our stay in San Juan Del Sur. We were immediately welcomed by the owner Chelly and felt right at home. The hostel is right on the beach and also has a pool for much needed relief in the hot weather in San Juan. The beautiful hostel was kept very clean and our our room was typically quiet even though we shared it with 8 others. We were glad to have a hostel that was not a big party place, but still made it easy to meet new friends and hang out.

Stay here! Its the best hostel in San Juan, and probably the best in Nicaragua!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We really would not recommend this hostel to anybody... We were staying in the upstairs big dorm which at first seemed really great but as night time approached we realised that there is no light in the bathroom and showering in the dark is not fun. This didn't seem like the biggest issue but was inconvenient. We asked for towels, which you have to pay for, and I was given a really dirty, smelly towel. When I asked to change this the member of staff just rolled their eyes at me. From the moment we woke up we could smell weed - all day. There were some huge ants right by where my head should be when sleeping, I went to ask if they had any spray or could do anything about it but was told 'er we will just sort it another day'. All these small issues and the lack of care by the staff made us feel that the service was very poor and we couldn't wait to get out of there!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Ilkleytraveller1
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 April 2014

At the beginning I really liked the hostel because it has a nice surrounding and is situated uptown just after the bridge. It has a common area with a pool, a bar and big tables outside. Upstairs is a flat screen TV and also a nice area.
But the 10 bed dormitory downstairs is too crowded and really dark. So after a night I changed to the rooms upstairs, which were nice. The kitchen is big and and has pretty much everything, even a sharp stone to sharpen the knifes, which is very rare in hostels. ;-)
Unfortunately I encountered also things that are really and urgently to improve. Only small lockers are available, so where can people put their cameras and computers? I brought my devises always to the reception then some things got stolen in the hostel. They even stole from the owner’s room and a girl got her camera and IPod missing. When you give your devices to let it storage, you expect that it’s going to be on a save place, and such stealing shouldn’t happen. When the owner doesn’t have a save place, so where is it then save? But maybe he just lost it somewhere then the owner looked most of time drunk and stoned. For the inconvenience he gave the girl a hat for free. What a joke!!
There was a light missing in the kitchen, the toilets upstairs didn’t float properly, so each time you wanted to use the bathroom it was dirty. The fan didn’t run well neither. No toilet papers and when I asked the maid she told me that the owner had forgotten to by the stuff. He anyway forgot things because I was expecting a parcel and he offered me to receive it. But when the man arrived he couldn’t remember and sent the guy away. So I had to run around and make phone calls to get my stuff. He even chucked away my food that I cooked for three days. Although he offered me to pay something he started arguing when I told him how much I should get. So at the end I had to run around again to get at least a little money. He was a rude guy and didn’t, or still doesn’t know how to treat customers.
All in all, it can be a very nice place, or better sad, it probably was once a nice place, but the owner lets himself and the place go, that is my impression.
Hopefully he’s going to change it but I really doubt it!

Room Tip: Only upstairs!!!